You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am confused because the order of the layers has changed.

For example, create a file with an A4 artboard for printing.

#### Step

1. I specify the layer order in which I placed the photo at the bottom.
  2. Create a text or object layer on top of it.
  3. I click on a photo and adjust the position of the photo by mouse dragging or keyboard keys.

#### Result

The order of the photo layers would then be at the top.

For example, there are two photo layers, and all the photos in them are selected. Then when I move the position, the order of those two layers is moved to the top.

Is this a bug or a specification?

---

Affiity Desingner 1.10.5, macOS 12.5

Can you upload a video of this as what you are describing should not be happening?

A video may help us see exactly what steps you are doing 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, Pigny said:

Then when I move the position, the order of those two layers is moved to the top.

Photo/image still placed inside Artboard? Or do you move it outside the Artboard and then onto it? When you move an object (picture) that is stored outside the Artboard to the Artboard, the object is "added" and placed on top of the stack.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Photo/image still placed inside Artboard?

I think it is close to this. I usually use Photo mostly. This time I was using Artboard in Designer for the first time in a long time. It seems I was placing images and objects without creating layers. I have attached a video. The images and objects are below Artboard, but on the same level. Is it correct to say that by moving an image, it goes into the Artboard? I was unable to reproduce the keyboard-based layer movement in the video I made for my sample. When I create a document without Artboard and place images and objects, this unintended layer reordering does not occur.

Does this mean that this is a specification? I find it odd that the layer order is forced to change when the object is moved. Perhaps it is my poor understanding of Artboard.

What is happening is you are moving the "artwork" and it is going into/onto the Artboard. Work within the Artboard or get rid of the Artboard.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

34 minutes ago, Pigny said:

The images and objects are below Artboard, but on the same level. Is it correct to say that by moving an image, it goes into the Artboard? I was unable to reproduce the keyboard-based layer movement in the video I made for my sample. When I create a document without Artboard and place images and objects, this unintended layer reordering does not occur.

Does this mean that this is a specification? I find it odd that the layer order is forced to change when the object is moved. Perhaps it is my poor understanding of Artboard.

If you place objects outside an Artboard layer (with or without touching an Artboard coordinates) then such an object gets automatically moved in the Layers Panel inside an Artboard layer. This behaviour can be seen as a feature or service – at least as long AD does not display objects which don't touch an Artboard in the layout (= always "Clip to Canvas").

You can force objects to remain at certain coordinates by creating artboards at identical positions. Artboards can have the same coordinates and size (one covering the other) which results in a layout looking like 1 artboard only. – Here an example which could be used to separate output by e.g. certain artboard content, objects or colors:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/153815-color-separation-for-flexography-with-affinity-designer-for-mac/&do=findComment&comment=865632

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1