You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm getting lots of spinning balls using Affinity Photo 1.10.5 on Monterey. Trying to figure out if this is an M1 issue or what. I'm not doing anything heavy so seeing any lag is surprising. Just wondering if this is normal, if others are seeing this as well.

I have a 2011 iMac and practically get no spinning balls so no it's not normal.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

26 minutes ago, unitizer said:

That iMac is not an M1 machine though. I'm asking if the M1 native version of AP is somehow slow.

I know but considering it's age and comparing it's tech (intel CPU) to the M1 Max you should not be having lag on an M1 Max machine so it's not normal, I've see other posts where M1 users are having lag issues such as this post: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

@unitizer The apps did experience some issues when Monterey was first released, see here for more information. However since the release of macOS 12.1 these have pretty much resolved themselves. 

Do you have any particular workflows that this occurs with to see if it can be reproduced on our M1 based systems?

I don' really have any specific workflows. I tend to use AP for editing collages, usually an image that is 4k x 3k roughly which has several images that I have copied, pasted and scaled from other JPEGs. I add some text and then export a low- and high-res JPEG. It's very basic, that is why this is strange. I can get the ball at file open/close or during operations in AP. I don't have a predictable/repeatable recipe. I never had the ball on my Intel machine, for the exact same work.

9 hours ago, Lee D said:

@unitizer The apps did experience some issues when Monterey was first released, see here for more information. However since the release of macOS 12.1 these have pretty much resolved themselves. 

Hi @Lee D - if you reckon that those Monterey problems have indeed been resolved, it would be good to get that article you linked updated to reflect that.

I'm on an M1 Mac mini and have remained on Big Sur.  About six  weeks back, I considered that it might finally be time to upgrade to Monterey (I finally upgraded from iOS 14 to iOS 15 at that time) - but I recalled seeing some issues discussed around here.  I had a sniff around and found @Leigh's post - and, because of its "official" nature, decided to hold off.  It now looks as if that one last potential barrier has been resolved and I could "safely" upgrade - and, for better or worse, would have done so when I had time a few weeks back.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

• Staff
11 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi @Lee D - if you reckon that those Monterey problems have indeed been resolved, it would be good to get that article you linked updated to reflect that.

I'm on an M1 Mac mini and have remained on Big Sur.  About six  weeks back, I considered that it might finally be time to upgrade to Monterey (I finally upgraded from iOS 14 to iOS 15 at that time) - but I recalled seeing some issues discussed around here.  I had a sniff around and found @Leigh's post - and, because of its "official" nature, decided to hold off.  It now looks as if that one last potential barrier has been resolved and I could "safely" upgrade - and, for better or worse, would have done so when I had time a few weeks back.

I have updated the FAQ to mention the macOS Monterey 12.1 update 👍

6 hours ago, Leigh said:

I have updated the FAQ to mention the macOS Monterey 12.1 update 👍

Have you seen reports like this one by @Dazmondo77 that suggest that not all the problems with Monterey have been resolved by the 12.1 update?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 5/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, R C-R said:

Have you seen reports like this one by @Dazmondo77 that suggest that not all the problems with Monterey have been resolved by the 12.1 update?

I'm just going off the information given to us from our QA team, who are under the impression that the 12.1 fixed this issue. However, we have since found another issue that could be causing the lag issue. I know @Dazmondo77 has tried OpenGL but I would be interested to know if the following suggestion improves things. Same goes for @unitizer