You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW support for the OM Solutions OM-1

Best guess: in 9-12 month. Maybe faster, maybe never.

Affinity just (March 2022) published Photo 1.10.5 for Windows, including LibRAW from Oct. 2021. Now allow LibRAW about 3-6 month to support the OM-1.

On Mac, Apple may provide support faster for AppleRAW, giving you have 2 options for RAW support.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 3 months later...

Need to voice your request/demands with LibRAW, as Serif relies on them for these profiles.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@Ron.P: Thanks for your hint. Just had a look at www.LibRAW.org and found the following comments for version 0.21 beta1 but I am not sure what the difference is between Camera format support and camera support. At least it seems to be on its way (hopefully 🙂 )

https://www.libraw.org/news/libraw-0-21

LibRaw 0.21 (Beta1)

Submitted by lexa on 4 July, 2022 - 10:29

LibRaw 0.21 (beta1) is just published in our Github repository. Changes are:

Camera format support

• Phase One/Leaf IIQ-S v2 support
  • Canon CR3 filmrolls/RawBurst
  • Canon CRM (movie) files
  • iled bit-packed (and 16-bit unpacked) DNGs
  • (non-standard) Deflate-compressed integer DNG files are allowed

Camera support

• Canon EOS R3, R7 and R10
  • Fujifilm X-H2S, X-T30 II
  • OM System OM-1
  • Leica M11
  • Sony A7-IV (ILCE-7M4)
  • DJI Mavic 3
  • Nikon Z9: standard compression formats only

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, Ron P. said:

Need to voice your request/demands with LibRAW, as Serif relies on them for these profiles.

Just in case:  LibRaw is a free and opensource library. We are not under any contract obligations with Serif/Affinity. We accept requests, but not demands.

On a side note, I don't remember a single request coming from Serif/Affinity themselves.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, MiPo said:

@Ron.P: I am not sure what the difference is between Camera format support and camera support.

When raw decoder and metadata structure stay the the same as they were with some previous model, we tend to say "camera support"; but when either of those are different,  we prefer to say "format support".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I´ve searched a bit, but still didn´t find any statement, at what date we could hope to get the possibility to directly open Raw-Files of the OM-1 in affinity Photo.

Does any statement exist, and I couldn´t find it?

I find myself beginning to look for a different sollution.

I´m hoping for a sollution of Affinity Photo. At least a planning of a date would help here.

ART (a fork of RawTherapee) and Darktable (there's one version that can open . orf files)are very good alternatives for raw development and totally free. Even when .orf files will be supported by Affinity Photo I will keep using these programs for raw development because they are really MUCH better in RAW development then Affinity Photo , which has only rudimentary raw development possibilities. And it is very easy to load the raw developed files into Affinity Photo as .tif files. Another possibility is to convert the .orf files to DNG files with the free downloadable Adobe DNG converter. DNG is not exactly the same as RAW, but they give very good results. DNG files will open in the raw development module of Affinity photo and will be treated as raw file.  I see no difference with raw.

2 hours ago, mike13 said:

I´ve searched a bit, but still didn´t find any statement, at what date we could hope to get the possibility to directly open Raw-Files of the OM-1 in affinity Photo.

Does any statement exist, and I couldn´t find it?

I have just checked at https://www.libraw.org/blog for changes, but LibRaw 0.21 has still the status of Beta1.

So I guess there won't be an update of Affinity in the near future containing the readability of OM-1 Raw-files.

I suggest the following work arounds as already mentioned by janvangastel:

developing the files in a raw developer (e.g. OM Workspace, ART, RawTherapee, Darktable or another fee-based raw developer like Lightroom, Capture One etc) and exporting them as 16bit-Tiff-files for further processing in Affinity Photo or converting the ORF-files into DNG-files via Adobe DNG-Converter https://helpx.adobe.com/de/camera-raw/digital-negative.html#downloads
-scroll a bit further down until you see the following blue download-links:

image.png.b71fa60852cf0b2b371c9b4748b2c765.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jibz said:

However Affinity doesn't support OM-1 RAW files, does it need an update to be able to read them?

Affinity uses LibRAW to process raw files, and LibRAW doesn't support them yet. 

On macOS you can use the Assistant Manager in Photo to switch to using the RAW developer built into the OS.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity uses LibRAW to process raw files, and LibRAW doesn't support them yet. 

On macOS you can use the Assistant Manager in Photo to switch to using the RAW developer built into the OS.

Thanks so much for the tip! I totally forgot about that setting :)

17 minutes ago, Iliah Borg said:

But we do, even in the public version, since 4 July, 2022:

https://www.libraw.org/news/libraw-0-21

That's only a Beta release, and in any case I don't think there's been an Affinity release since then. 

18 minutes ago, Iliah Borg said:

If FastRawViewer / RawDigger display the raw, it is supported in LibRaw

Thanks. I wasn't aware they used LibRaw.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Jibz said:

Now that Ventura is out, OM-1 RAW files are natively supported by the OS.

I'm daily searching for the iPasOS16 and macOS Ventura equivalent of this page to understand the new native support. It took a month after iOS 15 was launched before it appeared. Has anyone here seen a pre-release list during the Ventura betas?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon