You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text box overflow font size changes

Hello,

When I create a text overflow box on the pasteboard the text that flows into it reduces in size, as shown in the screen grabs. If I increase the size of the text in the overflow box it enlarges when brought back into the page.

I have noticed that sometimes multiple lines of the overflow text will 'hang out' of the bottom of the text box, but not always so I can't show it here.

1487376324_AffinityPublishertextoverflow1.thumb.png.17634bb4b382aeea9bb5652d920b9ca9.png

27370992_AffinityPublishertextoverflow2.thumb.png.792ffca7723bc502391ea70963945d18.png

1125977932_AffinityPublishertextoverflow3.thumb.png.394a8755c3bc699734c6d4a109c3047c.png

22 hours ago, VicG said:

When I create a text overflow box on the pasteboard the text that flows into it reduces in size

Did you resize the text frame on the page using the extra handle beyond the bottom right-hand corner? Doing this is known to affect the behaviour of the text in linked frames.

22 hours ago, VicG said:

I have noticed that sometimes multiple lines of the overflow text will 'hang out' of the bottom of the text box

Affinity Publisher Help: Flowing text through frames

If there's too much story text to fit in a frame sequence, Affinity Publisher stores it in an invisible overflow area. To indicate overflow, a Text Flow button (triangle icon) changes to red; an adjacent eye icon also appears which lets you show or hide the overflowing text.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

extra handle beyond the bottom right-hand corner

@stokerg, any chance to get the help search more verbose, knowing more search terms? – There seem to be various fundamental features hard to find. Two more examples: "lock" as in "lock colourspace" or "lock children" (none of the 3 shows a result).

2131714198_helpouterhandle.jpg.88eb302f694e0d4bfd4c9dd7062fa60b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Did you resize the text frame on the page using the extra handle beyond the bottom right-hand corner? Doing this is known to affect the behaviour of the text in linked frames.

That was one thing i didn't do!  I should of remembered this as i've dealt with this bug before!  Thanks for the reminder :) 

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

any chance to get the help search more verbose, knowing more search terms? – There seem to be various fundamental features hard to find. Two more examples: "lock" as in "lock colourspace" or "lock children" (none of the 3 shows a result).

I can certainly log it as an improvement with the Documentation Team :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 10:27 AM, stokerg said:

Hi @VicG and Welcome to the Forums,

Could you attach an afpub file showing this issue?  Also which operating system are you running Affinity on?  I was unable to replicate this on MacOS or Windows.

Hi All,

This problem is always (> 3 months now) happening to me. Have updated to latest version - no change. Using version 1.10.4.1198 on Windows10. It doesn't matter where the imported text comes from (e.g. Word, Libre Office, Wordpad or Notepad). I would attach afpub file if it would let me!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Robert J A said:

Having the same problem in 2023... Keeps changing text size onto new linked text box!

Unless you're starting with an IDML file, or copying data between documents with different DPI values, it's probably happening because you resized one of the Text Frames improperly, by using the scaling handle (detached one on the lower right) rather than one of the other handles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/3/2023 at 5:58 PM, walt.farrell said:

Unless you're starting with an IDML file, or copying data between documents with different DPI values, it's probably happening because you resized one of the Text Frames improperly, by using the scaling handle (detached one on the lower right) rather than one of the other handles.

Looking back at the file, at the time of posting it was definitely misbehaving, however checking again – looks like I must have resized the text box incorrectly. Going to keep an eye out to see if it happens again. I'm certain I wasn't resizing the new text box though and it was doing it.