You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can gradients be set perpendicular to lines?

I have similar questions but way more complex (and unresolved) than what I'm trying to do which is simply use a lines as means to apply transparencies and blend things.

I made a little example to illustrate:

1708067214_ScreenShot2022-01-14at21_38_47.png.ae029b242491dce1fdb20d41713422e8.png

I added the file so if you care to demonstrate (thank you!) you don't need to start over. 🏁 I thought about gaussian blur but it ain't the same, then there's the transparency tools which is basically the gradient tool minus the ending color. Overlapping elliptical gradients could do it but that'd be like pixel work with math and I'm dumb. 😌

I'll  read the help  watch the  TV guide app in the meantime.

edging-theotherkind.afdesign

You can create vector brushes having a grayscale gradient, and apply it to the stroke. You may need to isolate the one edge where you want the gradient from the overall shape.

Than use gradient map to apply any color.

47987922-A804-489B-93E4-C704995FC883.png

edging-theotherkind-NMF.afdesign

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Short answer: There is no gradient mesh in Affinity apps so you cannot distort a gradient in Affinity.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Another (destructive) option is to create a rectangle with the gradient, then use Photo and Mesh warp filter to distort rectangle. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

You can try duplicating the shape, selecting the top two nodes, "Break Curve" and deleting the bottom part. Increase the thickness of the remaining line, set it to white, "Ctrl/Cmd + X". Select the original shape, "Insert Inside", "Ctrl/Cmd + V". Apply Gaussian blur to the line, adjust its location and thickness.
I attach the modified file.

edging-theotherkind_modified.afdesign

48 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Short answer: There is no gradient mesh in Affinity apps so you cannot distort a gradient in Affinity.

And that's unfortunately the reason, why none of the suggested workarounds would allow to create such vector cliparts which would get accepted by the major stock pages, because all will produce some kind of rasterization.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Here’s another method.
Unfortunately the result will be rasterised upon output but it looks okay on-screen.
The trick is to give the clipping shape a small outline, in this case of white, to stop the clipping shape fill being shown as a very thin line where the inner curve is drawn (and it only works in this case because the background is white).
Probably not a perfect solution in all cases but it might come in handy for some uses.
I’ve attached the document so you can dissect it.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 095519.png

gradient-following-shape.afdesign

Wow, you guys were fast. So, by rasterized do you mean if I export to something like PNG, will it have the alpha channel? I'm not a pro, I'm not trying to submit designs anywhere nor do this for a living but I've started creating my own graphics for a range of things and this, were I'd like the edge of a shape to taper or blend away keeps coming up. The "gradient mesh" suggestion is spot on. I assume is not the same as the mesh/warp only available in Photo--which I've opened maybe three times ever.

On the plus side, I was made aware of the vector blush tool. I'm trying to replicate the first suggestion but man that thing is confusing. Drawing new lines is easy, but applying it to already drawn stuff not quite. Then again, these are rearrangeable vector lines. :)

@GarryP Yeah, I thought of it but the disconnect from shape to "glow" came to mind. I didn't remember it has more options though. This design I made just for illustration, mismatched shapes are to differentiate things and white was preselected the example, that's why... I'll try that too.

[ ... ️ ]

I tried that too. I tried it all. That was it. I was confusing Outer Glow with Outline. If it doesn't match or I need only one side then I duplicate the shape and stack it on top to hide it whatever! point is, I have my answer, THANK YOU!

630435312_ScreenShot2022-01-15at14_03_10.thumb.png.1bfa33e530928f471949565eabf79477.png

Outline effects with a little trickery/deceit, might actually work in every case I've need it before, I'm going to review past designs that I had to scrap in favor of a "forward thinking" design, as I lied to myself.

As I mentioned, my designs are only for me and if somebody points out a mistake or improvements it I'll just say "no hablo inglés" and get out of there -- save the mental note for later.

Thanks everyone! -- And sorry to the pros the gradient mesh thing. Hopefully Serif focuses on that soon instead of trying to make the apps cloud-connected Adobe-style as it seems it's heading to.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 14.29.09.png