You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pressure settings not working ...

Hello all,

To be honest I am not happy with the latest update, some of my favorite settings do not always work, for example the pressure settings on vector lines (see attached video).

I cannot apply any pressure settings to my vector lines. When I create a new document it works again, and some time later it doesn't work again. This is really frustrating ...

I hope you can help me.

Thanks and best regards,

Thomas

Pressure option is available for the Paintbrush Tool only in both Designer and Photo.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

Pressure option is available for the Paintbrush Tool only in both Designer and Photo.

Then why does the Stroke panel have a pressure curve setting?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Then why does the Stroke panel have a pressure curve setting?

I don't know? Perhaps Serif wanted it to. 🤔😄

Missed that, I was thinking about the Force Pressure in the paintbrush context toolbar. I know that Designer has the Controller settings, but again I think that is for the Paintbrush.

Thanks..

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Good Morning,

Thanks for your reply @Ron P. but that is not correct.

The pressure settings can be applied to other tools as well, see the attached video.

But it often happens that the pressure settings don't work and that is really frustrating because then you have to delete the whole layer / document and recreate it.

I don't know how to reproduce this 100%, but maybe the first video will be helpful for Affinity developers.

Thanks again and best regards,

Thomas

5 hours ago, ThomasHelm said:

But it often happens that the pressure settings don't work and that is really frustrating because then you have to delete the whole layer / document and recreate it.

Do you have a document where this has happened, that you can share? Possibly examining it will reveal the problem. (If you have such a document, enabling the Save History with Document option might be useful, too.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you have a document where this has happened, that you can share? Possibly examining it will reveal the problem. (If you have such a document, enabling the Save History with Document option might be useful, too.)

Sure, it's not a big deal, I just started with my sketch. You can find the document attached.

Unfortunately, I always save my documents without the save history for performance reasons.

Best regards,

Thomas

6_Fischotter.afdesign

I think that curve was perhaps made with the Pencil tool which can use a brush. And brushes for the pencil tool cannot take information from the Pressure curve.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Dear all,

I found the scenario and I can reproduce it, but for me THIS IS A BUG! 🙂

You select the Pen Tool (not the pencil tool), draw a line and you can change the pressure settings. This is how it should work.

But then you select a brush (intentionally or not) and remove it again, after that you can't change the settings anymore.

And that can't be, especially when Affinity always claims that everything is indestructible, right?

Thanks and best regards,

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Affinity Team,

The pen, pressure settings, etc. are a main part of my current work and the current behavior bothers me a lot because it keeps happening.

It would be good to know if you are working on this or maybe already found a solution for upcoming releases?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Thomas

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

maybe i'm late to the party but i've found a temporary solution until the team puts out a proper update:
create a new stroke, adjust its pressure, select your old stroke, use the eyedropper tool to copy the new strokes styling et voilá, you can use pressure settings again.