You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Large Layouts, Noise almost disappear when rasterizing and cannot save file

Hey there,

I have a problem which I came up with today. I designed a rollup which is 870mmx2270mm. For the background and some shapes I added noise in the color palette. I checked everything at 100% zoom. So when exporting the file, the noise is almost gone. 

So I tried to rasterize the shapes in designer... But there is the same issue. 

I tried a lot of stuff including a noise live filter but cannot get the result when rasterizing or exporting the file, even with a 100 % zoom. 

The other issue I ran into when rasterizing the shapes I could not save the project file anymore... It just hung up on the task. I guess it has something to do with the actual artboard size?

Does anybody has an idea how to get this thing to work?

Cheers

Designer.png

Rasterized.png

So you are trying to have the noise be maintained on export. 

What filetype are you trying to export your design as? And were there any other options that you toggled during export?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

The size of your document is gigantic if you have 300dpi (default) when you export to bitmap formats like png jpeg tiff, this could explain why Affinity seems to hang. Check the size in px, it might even exceed limit of these formats or Affinity.

You need to choose a reasonable lower DPI.

The DPI settings impacts noise rendering as the dimensions (number of px) depend on it.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Can you please share the device specifications (RAM, GPU, CPU) of your computer and the screen size and resolution of the monitor?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hi all, 

thanks for your replies. 

My system is a Mac Mini M1 with 8GB RAM.

I am working in 300 DPI because I need this to be in the end. 

The problem is, it is not "What you see is what you get"... When designing for screen the noise is the same because of the screen DPI. This is a bit of a bummer.

Cheers

2 hours ago, mp_design said:

What is the export format & why do you need it to be 300 DPI?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Swatch generated noise has a problem that you cannot adjust the cell size in any way. So at 300 dpi it tends to be rather unnoticeable. I guess it is meant more for onscreen works (72 dpi). 

If your artwork allows you could most as vectors (text, shapes) to keep it sharp and use lower document dpi so noise would be more apparent. Alternative is to do custom noise with noise filters (I guess you can up the cell size?).

On 12/14/2021 at 4:31 PM, mp_design said:

Hi all, 

thanks for your replies. 

My system is a Mac Mini M1 with 8GB RAM.

The problem is, it is not "What you see is what you get"... When designing for screen the noise is the same because of the screen DPI. This is a bit of a bummer.

Cheers

Can you share a screenshot of Edit>Preferences>Performance?

I can reproduce a difference between Designer Rendering and Export result only if i set "Rendering Quality" to "low". This is by design.

When i choose "Best" or "High", i get 100% identical results.

But there might be differences between Win and Mac.

Best / High Quality:

image.thumb.png.a854d51631486a99c80cf53e0f24c54f.png

Low Quality:

image.thumb.png.3b7464895de09227bed111093a2978ea.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.