You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting with embedded font appears corrupted in Publisher

I'm currently attempting to export from Publisher using an installed font with font embedding enabled. However despite affinity showing the font normally in the editor, when it is exported the font appears completely corrupted. The font being used is Cooper Hewitt (download from https://www.dafontfree.io/download/cooper-hewitt/). Images of the result are shown below and a copy of the exported PDF (Testing Font Export.pdf) and the affinity file (Testing Font Export.afpub) are attached. The file looks normal when fonts are converted to curves but I would like to be able to maintain the ability to copy the text out of the file. 

Screenshot_145.png.fcf7ce1b323d4572be53b863385601be.png

Screenshot_146.png.9fad165596250ff8424ba70641158921.png

Apologies if this has already been asked but in my searching I haven't been able to find anything that matches!

Hello @vitineth and welcome to the forums.

I've made a quick test and I can say that the font is faulty.

As you can see there are few entrys with the same style name. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Thanks! And thanks for the help, guess I'll try and find a different font! I had a suspicion that it could be the font because windows seems to show it fine

image.png.64753b4dce368864771a97069dc2b144.png

But Affinity sees the issue with the style names 

image.png.e8e7728556e7567559258b87c74692f4.png

Back to the drawing board for me but thank you again for the help!

36 minutes ago, vitineth said:

But Affinity sees the issue with the style names 

FWIW, I downloaded & installed the full set of Cooper Hewitt fonts from the dafontfree source in the first post & in APub I do not see all those extra 'thin' entries or anything out of the ordinary when I export a document using those fonts to PDF. (Same with AD & AP.)

This is the Cooper Hewitt font choices I get in any of the 3 Mac Affinity apps:

233571708_Cooperlist.jpg.4acd58c272ea5d9a726be2bb8eb69a0d.jpg

I also used Font Book's validate font on each of them & it found no issues.

So maybe this is a Windows-only bug?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, foto-grafic said:

Question dictated by curiosity:
What quick test to see if a font is faulty?

A thousand thanks...

First i've exported with the font the OP has used. The result was like the OP.  Then i've changed the font to Arial. And the result was like expected.

After that I saw that the style Thin is displayed several times. 

My further analysis with a font editor showed that the weight classes did not match the style name. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

Try this version instead (after uninstalling the one you currently have, of course):

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/cooper-hewitt

5 hours ago, foto-grafic said:

Question dictated by curiosity:
What quick test to see if a font is faulty?

A thousand thanks...

Here’s the result of my quick test with the Font Squirrel version of Cooper Hewitt:

010A271D-EBB7-49E9-A4EB-91E7DA828AA1.jpeg.30663ceed7d1a26bb7ebdbd0d14a4f5a.jpeg

I’ve also attached the PDF file that I used for the above screenshot.

Cooper Hewitt.pdf

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

19 hours ago, vitineth said:

Cooper Hewitt

The original Cooper Hewitt fonts are broken - they have messed-up name fields in them which causes issues like this.

IIRC there are fixed versions in a repo on GitHub, plus I have fixed versions.

On my phone at the moment, but I will post links and/or fixed fonts in a few hours.

2 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

The original Cooper Hewitt fonts are broken - they have messed-up name fields in them which causes issues like this.

If you mean the version from dafontfree mentioned by the OP in the first post, while they might be broken, as I mentioned I did not have any  issues using that version in any of the Mac Affinity apps, & the Mac Font Book app validation found no problems with any of them:

692794053_fontvalidation.jpg.55764664949e3553f5084afc70e0ba0f.jpg

I am not sure of the relevance here but perhaps this is something that affects only the Windows versions?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks everyone for the help! @Komatös was absolutely right in the fonts are broken and I think @R C-R was right in that this is a windows exclusive issue. I actually found a solution on the cooper hewitt GitHub where someone else has reporting having issues on Windows: https://github.com/cooperhewitt/cooperhewitt-typeface/issues/4. After using the replacement fonts someone re-hosted here (I think this is what @LibreTraining was talking about?), all the issues are resolved and I can export happily! Thank you so much everyone for the help and for such a helpful welcome to the forum, all the help has been massively appreciated!

2 hours ago, vitineth said:

(I think this is what @LibreTraining was talking about?)

Yes. Glad you got it working.

2 hours ago, vitineth said:

I think @R C-R was right in that this is a windows exclusive issue.

Yes, it is the style groups (used by Windows) that is the problem.
They set the style group "family" the same in all the fonts.
And they did not set the Regular, Italic, Bold settings - 11 are set to Regular, and 1 Italic set to Bold.
Never going to work properly in Windows apps.
I first came across this issue because the fonts do not work properly in LibreOffice on Windows.

You are welcome!

11 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Yes. Glad you got it working.

Yes, it is the style groups (used by Windows) that is the problem.
They set the style group "family" the same in all the fonts.
Never going to work properly in Windows apps.
I first came across this issue because the fonts do not work properly in LibreOffice on Windows.

And have you seen the weight classes? They count this from 701 up to 710 by one point per step. 

29 minutes ago, Komatös said:

And have you seen the weight classes? They count this from 701 up to 710 by one point per step. 

LOL. I still have them open on screen and did not even notice until you pointed it out.
ID uses that field to sort the fonts by weight in their font list - wonder how this works.