You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher file size increased unexpectedly

Yeah. If it's not fixed by the time I finish my current project, I'll probably shift back to InDesign for a bit. It's really a pain.

Every now and again I also lose trackpad gesture zoom (have to enable manual zoom, zoom in and zoom out, then it usually comes back). They're two little, persistent bugs, that really frustrate my concentration.

Same setup as Pete, but 16" MBP.

• 4 weeks later...

Similar to what I've had to do.  slow, aggravating, when I have several hundred pix in a single magazine file.

Note to Affinity engineers:  part of this problem feels similar to a problem I've had with the Sugarsync backup and sync service that I use.  It seems to be related to the new Mac M1 and/or OS 12.6.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, MatteoS said:

I'm testing this specific issue right now on the V2.

Hi MatteoS,
Were you able to reproduce the issue in v2?
I have to admit I am hesitant in upgrading, as if it is still doing this it's definitely a deal breaker for me.

Many thanks for your feedback

Jorge

1 hour ago, yukonPete said:

I haven't upgraded yet as I have stuff that needs doing and don't want to be testing software at this point. I need stuff that I can trust!

Just for your information - V1 and V2 are completely separate, so you can buy V2 (while it's on discount) and still work on V1.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

yes, I understand sale and independence. However, specs say v2 doesn't work on my older macPro so I want to only go forward if I trust that Affinity will fix glaring errors. They state that they are done fixing V1. The beauty of v1 is it works on old and new macs, or at least that's what I think specs for v2 imply.

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, MikeTO said:

I recreated the issue and uploaded the before and after files with a screen recording and a readme.txt to explain the issue.

I spent a couple of hours testing the issue with a backup copy of the file today and didn't find a specific trigger - sometimes I'd repeat the same series of steps, choose Save As, and the file would be 9MB. Then the next time it would be 50MB, 300MB or 500MB. Then 9MB again.

Once the file has expanded in size I can't find a way to get it back to 9MB again with Save As. It seems to have accumulated some permanent baggage.

Thanks!

I'm having this issue too. I thought it was cache related, but sounds as if its Affinity's history function. Any ideas how you can turn this off? I have time machine back-ups for that.

3 hours ago, PeterAG said:

I'm having this issue too. I thought it was cache related, but sounds as if its Affinity's history function. Any ideas how you can turn this off? I have time machine back-ups for that.

If File > Save History with Document is already off then it's not the history issue. If it's on then turn it off.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same issue with increasing/decreasing file size (Mac mini M1). My links are into a folder on a server and the workaround of link/embed/link again doesn't work because the process of embedding is too slow/heavy. In this scenario, the solution was disconnecting the server, connect it again, save and close the file. Its size dropped form 800 MB to 65. I suppose that if you have images on your machine, you can change the name of the images folder, so to lose the links; then rename the folder with the correct name and reconnect the links. 

• 2 months later...

I started having this problem this month after upgrading to a Macbook Pro M2. This bug has remained unfixed for almost two years now, and as you can see in this other thread it is also present in Publisher V2.

I will finish the project I'm working on using my old Intel Macbook and then I will sadly switch back to InDesign. I was such a big fan of the Affinity suite since 2017 but this issue is really annoying even with the "embed/linked" workaround.

10 hours ago, Milleniarist said:

I started having this problem this month after upgrading to a Macbook Pro M2. This bug has remained unfixed for almost two years now, and as you can see in this other thread it is also present in Publisher V2.

I will finish the project I'm working on using my old Intel Macbook and then I will sadly switch back to InDesign. I was such a big fan of the Affinity suite since 2017 but this issue is really annoying even with the "embed/linked" workaround.

The issue in v1 that caused file sizes to increased was fixed in 2.0. I experienced this issue multiple times a day in v1 but have never experienced the problem with 2.0.

The v2 replies to that old v1 thread you linked to are likely a more specific file size issue reported in 2.0 which is fixed in the 2.1 beta. There was an issue with linked resources on master pages causing file sizes to increase. I recommend you try your document in v2 and specifically in 2.1 before giving up.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

18 hours ago, MikeTO said:

The issue in v1 that caused file sizes to increased was fixed in 2.0. I experienced this issue multiple times a day in v1 but have never experienced the problem with 2.0.

The v2 replies to that old v1 thread you linked to are likely a more specific file size issue reported in 2.0 which is fixed in the 2.1 beta. There was an issue with linked resources on master pages causing file sizes to increase. I recommend you try your document in v2 and specifically in 2.1 before giving up.

Cheers

Thank you! That's good to know. I'd rather upgrade than going back to Adobe.

• 5 months later...

This seems to have reappeared for me in 2.2. My publisher file went from 300 MB to 5 GB. I managed to get it back down to 300 somehow (stopped saving history and did the embed/link thing), but it's worrying that this problem has reappeared. I'm on Windows 10 (if that matters for some reason).

15 hours ago, EarLocust said:

stopped saving history and did the embed/link thing

If you had History saved and Embedded documents, the file size is "always" significantly larger - regardless of the version you are using. That definitely didn't "get it back" with version 2.2.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Nah, I never had my images embedded, but there was a "workaround" to set everything to embedded, then back to linked to fix it. I'm not saying that worked for me - unchecking the history seemed to fix it. It still seems larger than it should be (~450 MB with no embedded images) when my backup from June is only 140 MB.

5 minutes ago, EarLocust said:

still seems larger than it should be (~450 MB with no embedded images) when my backup from June is only 140 MB.

Did you do a Save As and give it a new filename?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1