You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry if this has been dealt with before, guess everything more or less has. But I can't find any answer, so here I go.

I have a question regarding "paste". This is the situation: I want to print a photo centered on a larger paper, so I by the printing technique get a passepartout. In PS I used to size my photo to e.g. 30x40 cm. Then I create a new canvas 40x50 cm and paste the photo in the center of the new canvas by holding down "Shift" while pasting. By that I get a 5 cm white passepartout around the photo when I print.

In Affinity I have tried every alternative I can invent, and even a few more, but I can't get control over the paste. Most frequently I get the past starting in the top left corner and in "Past Special" I can get something almost centered, but not exact. Is this something that can't be done in Affinity Photo or am I just plain stupid?

Regards Hans

Where are you copying the photo from prior to doing the paste?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Where are you copying the photo from prior to doing the paste?

The photo is in On1. I resize it in On1. I create a new larger canvas in On1 and I past the old photo to the new larger canvas by doing "Add layer from file".  This might not be the right way to do it. If I'm doing it wrong, please tell me how to.

21 minutes ago, HansW said:

I can get something almost centered, but not exact.

For me the image is always inserted exactly in the center of the document, but you can use Alignment (vertical and horizontal), or menu Arrange, Allign Centre and Middle.

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 minutes ago, HansW said:

I can't get control over the paste.

Paste has no control. It will be pasted with the x,y pixel coordinates for the upper left corner.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

For me the image is always inserted exactly in the center of the document,

Do you indeed "Paste" (= via clipboard), or do you mean "Place" (via menu File, or via Tool in Apub/AD)?

To me it always pastes to the upper left corner, also for a copied layer of another opened Affinity document. Only for a copied partial selection of a pixel layer of another opened .afphoto document the pasted position may vary and be not top left, which doesn't mean it gets centered.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

APhoto (OP talks about PS) and menu Edit, Paste, or Ctrl+V.
image.png.ea36bc8c77f5793babd4769b27d95b7a.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

APhoto (OP talks about PS) and menu Edit, Paste, or Ctrl+V.

Same for me on my Mac. Paste pastes the copied object centered in the document. It is also the same for all 3 Affinity apps -- Paste always pastes centered.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

33 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Same for me on my Mac. Paste pastes the copied object centered in the document. It is also the same for all 3 Affinity apps -- Paste always pastes centered.

I find that if I copy something from a Photo document and paste it into another new Photo document the x, y pixel coordinates for the upper left corner are the same as from where I copied it from. If I were to copy from some other application then perhaps the centre is honoured.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If I were to copy from some other application then perhaps the centre is honoured.

That is what I was testing (for me it was from Preview.app). If I copy from an Affinity document, it is pasted using the x & y coordinates for the upper left corner, like you said.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Odd, after copy/pasting various content I get different results meanwhile: Now the pasted position seems to be centred within the entire workspace area (the rectangle with rulers) not necessarily centred on the layout area (page, artboard, canvas). Moving the layout area within the window + paste again results in a different pasted position and appears centered horizontally only but not vertically or is pasted on a position with no clear reason, differing between the 3 apps.

Also, as you mentioned, it seems to make a difference where from I copied. Copying between Affinity documents behaves different.

Actually I can't recognize a fixed rule, neither centred nor top-left.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1