You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When trying to export PDF on Publisher or Designer it crashes

When trying to export a PDF on designer or Publisher the app keeps crashing.

Currently running MAC OS Monterey 12.0.1
Affinity apps are on latest versions 
Using MacBook Pro 15" (2017)

Steps I have tried;
Restarted computer
Factory reset all settings on  Affinity Designer  ( This fixed my issue last time)
Created a new document 

All have not fixed the issue

Welcome to the forums @keeks,

I don't know anything about Mac OS. However I'm sure one of the Mods will ask for a dump file. So if you could attach a couple of the latest to your post it would certainly help.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Hi @keeksand Welcome to the Forums,

Thanks for the crash files, it appears both apps are crashing in the same location.

Could you attach the afdesign file and afpub file that you are exporting?  Or you can upload them to our Dropbox here and i'll take a look at why this is happening :) 

35 minutes ago, keeks said:

Here is the file
I'm trying to export Artboard 2. 

Probably of little or no help for you but I can export your artboard 2 to PDF format without problems from AD running on Catalina on my iMac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

Thanks keeks for bringing up this topic and providing a work-around.

I face exactly the same problems since I updated to Monterey. I can work on my files, save them etc, all without problems. But as soon as I like to export as PDF my AD crashes. Only evert once in a while the procedure eventually works without crash. 

Converting the text into curves is not an option for me, as I am working on scientific plots and I might need to change the text in a figure from revision to revision. 

Did anybody find a fix for this?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I recently updates my iMac to Monterey 12.2.1 and I can see that Affinity publisher (1.10.4) crashes when I try to export to PDF my document.
Previously, under Mac OS Big Sur, the exactly same document (images, fonts,...) could be exported without any problems.

I don't understand but I hope a solution will be quickly provided.
Thank you!

I still face the same issue. 

Here my nasty work-around:

Prepare your figure. Prepare the export frame as well as the export file format. Save everything. Close AD. Open AD and go immediately to the Export Persona und click "Export slices". It should work.

In any case, never save the document right before clicking "Export Slices". This causes the crash in 99% of all cases. I seriously wonder why this obvious issue does not appear with other users.

One question: Do you use an Antivirus Software that continuously monitors data on your drive?