You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slice or cut-out a complex vector shape (group of shapes)

I got a rather complex vector shape here, consisting of dozens of (partially) overlapping sub-shapes with different fill colors.

How can I cut through the entire object along a line, or alternatively cut a portion out of the object? I have tried it in Designer and Inksc*pe, but the Boolean operations don't work the way I'd expect in both programs.

I have attached an example file. How can I slice this object, say, diagonally into two halves?

Scales.afdesign

Edited by David.P
Added attachment

You can use a rectangle shape to act as a clipping mask. You basically nest the object inside of the rectangle and any part of the object outside the bounds of the rectangle will be hidden.
image.png.12650463422cf46ada7711a2a8ce931a.png

image.png.879d48a716da46cf619bd2c53fec881c.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You don't use the boolean options, take a look at this file...

Notice the object is now a child of the rectangle, it is the rectangle that dictates what is seen.
Scales clipped.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You need to have a fill in the rectangle for this to work.

1706704141_ScreenShot2021-10-26at9_05_50AM.png.162f6eefbe04d940ead6900ae5104ad3.png

1696992871_ScreenShot2021-10-26at9_06_22AM.png.50186030981f1735ea5c53b4eb579b8c.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You need to have a fill in the rectangle for this to work.

The rectangle needs a fill for cropping/masking, which is what you’ve shown in your screenshots, but clipping will work with an unfilled shape.

1 minute ago, David.P said:

Does this even cut the object -- or only hide parts of it?

It only hides parts of it.

2 minutes ago, David.P said:

I'd prefer to actually cut it.

That’s going to be very much harder, if it’s doable at all.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, David.P said:

I'd prefer to actually cut it.

Not worth trying to do that. You make your rectangle and then duplicate it for each item in the layers. Slice each item with one of the duplications. Too tedious and prone to making mistakes. In this instance there is going to be very little in the way of space saving and smaller file size that I would not bother.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I'm still not seeing how you guys did this.

Also, I need to use the cut-up stuff as a graphics object in other programs later, so it really should be cut not hidden.

Should there really be no proper way to simply cut vector stuff?

Inkscape's Eraser comes pretty close.

image.png.c19048f61ada0e105f449f09b4d511d2.png

This inability to easily and simply cut vectors, or any other type of object, is one of the Affinity Suite's major failures.

Before going into the lengthy back and forth that will be necessary I have to once again reiterate that this is going to be a lot of work for very little gain. Why is the clipping or masking not good enough?

You have to select each item in the clock. You then have to use a copy of the curve you want to cut with to subtract the item. You have chosen something very complex to start with. Make some thing simple. three items instead of dozens with gradients. I am using the Subtract boolean. That is why I have changed the rectangle to cover the part I want to remove instead of the part I want to reveal.

Sorry I have no idea what you are doing there.

Couldn't you just give me a word or link what this procedure is called (clipping?), so that I can look it up somewhere?

This is btw. what my PDF editor (!) can do in about one microsecond (parts manually pulled apart afterwards):

image.thumb.png.bb691702c73d31be028d0b91e426fed1.png

9 minutes ago, David.P said:

Couldn't you just give me a word or link what this procedure is called (clipping?), so that I can look it up somewhere?