You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just discovered, to my horror, that ORF RAW files are cropped in Affinity Photo. I kept wondering why I was suddenly cutting people's feet off. When I checked the JPG versions, however, all feet are there.

Funny thing is, AP shows that the ORF version has a resolution of 5240x3912, while the JPG version shows 5184x3888.

When I view the files with the Windows photo viewer, the JPG version is the cropped one, and the ORF shows quite a bit more.

So I appear to be losing quite a bit of pixels in AP.

Anything I am missing?

There are Lens corrections which sometimes crops quite a few pixels out. And then there is the Vignette removal which does sometimes do some more cropping.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Domus said:

Is there a huge visible disadvantage of keeping it turned off?

With some lenses you'll see the barrel/pincushion distortion. In my option you really only need it when you are taking pictures of checkerboards.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

With some lenses you'll see the barrel/pincushion distortion. In my option you really only need it when you are taking pictures of checkerboards.

LOL!

I'm now trying to set the default to "no lens correction" , but I seem to only be able to create a new preset, which I then have to select each time. But maybe I'm drawing this conclusion too hastily and need to investigate how to change the default settings.

Another advise for taking photos is to always include enough space around your subject / compositions. Most people (including myself) tend to zoom in too much (or come too close with prime lenses). You can always simply crop unwanted parts, and be lucky having some reserve pixels at hand when straightening, rotating, changing aspect ratio etc. - or for lens correction in this example. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, Domus said:

LOL!

I'm now trying to set the default to "no lens correction" , but I seem to only be able to create a new preset, which I then have to select each time. But maybe I'm drawing this conclusion too hastily and need to investigate how to change the default settings.

In the Develop Assistant there is a lens correction default drop-down option - set it to none, instead of auto.

Kirk