You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a macro to change DPI

I created a set of macros to change the DPI of an image, originally in Photo 1.6 which worked well then, and worked in later versions. I found however, thet re-recording these macros in later versions (including 1.10) do not work. I report here my investigations as to what is going wrong.

I re-created the individual macros using a simple image  to work on. They all seemed to work OK. I then tried on a different image and discovered that they do not. What seems to have happened is that the macro records the size  of the image when recording, so that when applied to another image  it resizes to that new size, despite the Resample box not being ticked.

Edit: I have now added change DPI to 120.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I have the same issue in the Mac version (Photo 1.10.4, but it was also in the previous versions).

1. I start recording a macro.

2. Then open the Resize Document dialog.

3. Change the size and the resampling method, and confirm.

4. Stop macro recording.

Playing the macro does nothing.

Paolo

8 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

Playing the macro does nothing

That's not the problem being discussed here.

For this problem, the macro plays but does the wrong thing; it resamples when it shouldn't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, PaoloT said:

Playing the macro does nothing.

Works fine here 1.10.4 (Windows)

Can you upload your macro?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 years later...

I have now re-installed Photo 1.6 and recorded my Change DPI macro for 120ppi.

It works OK with Photo 2.4.1

I attach below  the macro Change DPI to 1201.6.afmacro
and the updated macro library to include this macro Change DPI 1.6.afmacros

John

Macros

Change DPI 1.6.afmacros Change DPI to 120 1.6.afmacro

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630