You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option for 150dpi when using Resize Document

150dpi is a very common setting for images. However, this is not one of the preset values in the drop-down list in the Resize Document dialogue box. Given how often I need to use this (and probably others as well), it would be a great timesaver to have this in the list, instead of typing in "150" every time I need it.

Alternatively, an option to have user defined DPI or recently used values would be good.

59 minutes ago, ABack said:

150dpi is a very common setting for images.

I'm curious where it's common? I don't think I've ever used it or seen it used.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Fair enough that you might not have ever used this value, or had cause to use it, but it is a relatively trivial thing to implement that would save me a lot of time and also for anybody else that uses it. I mainly use 150dpi for setting the initial scale of screenshots for use in manuals, so I need to do this quite a lot. It is a preset in Photoshop, which I have ditched in favour of Affinity Photo. It is the only thing I miss from Photoshop. There are other applications where 150dpi is a preset.

I would use a macro, but no joy there.

I searched the forum for "150" before putting in this suggestion. There are a number of references to 150 dpi or ppi returned by that search, so I am not alone.

As the saying goes, if you don't ask, you don't get.

How do you get a dropdown list? I get just a slider (which is unusable of course as it would give just arbitrary values when most of the time we indeed want a set round value like 150, 300, 600 dpi). So I enter numbers.

It would make no harm to replace slider with a set of most common dpi values.

22 hours ago, ABack said:

I would use a macro, but no joy there.

See my Change dpi macros. It now includes Change dpi to 150.

Change DPI to 150 1.6.afmacro

Change DPI 1.6.afmacros

BtW, the 1.6 refers to the fact that they were recorded using Photo 1.6. Later versions have an error in that the image is resampled whether or not the Resample button is clicked. These work as expected in later versions.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

21 hours ago, GarryP said:

Fixx: This is what I get in Photo 1.9.2 on Windows 10.
The OP was talking about the Resize Document dialog; is that where you are looking?

I would say this is he way it looks in OSX:

Screenshot 48.png

So, yes, I am using Windows 10. I should have included that to start with. I had no idea that OS X uses a different control. GarryP, I very much agree that a drop-down list is easier for this. I hope this does not get "fixed" by changing to a slider in the Windows build.

John Rostron, thanks, but no thanks. I am working in a corporate environment and downloading from an unknown link is definitely not going to happen. What really needs to happen, on this front, is that whatever worked in 1.6 needs to work now, so that macros can sensibly use this dialogue to change DPI without affecting resolution. That would be enough of a fix for me, as a macro is a one-click operation and there would be no need to even open the dialogue box.

4 minutes ago, ABack said:

John Rostron, thanks, but no thanks. I am working in a corporate environment and downloading from an unknown link is definitely not going to happen. What really needs to happen, on this front, is that whatever worked in 1.6 needs to work now, so that macros can sensibly use this dialogue to change DPI without affecting resolution. That would be enough of a fix for me, as a macro is a one-click operation and there would be no need to even open the dialogue box.

So, just create your own macro. Start recording, then select Document > Resize Document, enter 150 in the dpi box and untick Resample. Click OK, then stop recording. Macros like this now seem to work OK in Photo 1.10 so the 1.6 versions are now redundant.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Update: I thought it was working but sadly it is not. I have tried several sequences of using the dialogue box and no joy. I am using Photo 1.10.1. Maybe it was OK in 1.10.0 and is now broken again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks John - very much appreciated.

Yes, I got that to work after a couple of tries as the macro recording is sensitive to how you use the dialogue box. For anybody else, make sure you press <Enter> after typing in the required DPI, and then uncheck Resample. If you do it the lazy way (like I did at first) and don't press <Enter> in the DPI box, the macro will still change the resolution.

Edited by ABack
Incorrect

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 4:56 AM, John Rostron said:

Macros like this now seem to work OK in Photo 1.10 so the 1.6 versions are now redundant.

It still fails for me, John, with macros I record in 1.10.1.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:12 PM, walt.farrell said:

It still fails for me, John, with macros I record in 1.10.1.

I have re-recorded these macros under 1.10 and they seem to work OK. I will post a separate thread on these.

Change DPI 1.10.afmacros

John

On 8/27/2021 at 7:08 AM, ABack said:

150dpi is a very common setting for images. However, this is not one of the preset values in the drop-down list in the Resize Document dialogue box. Given how often I need to use this (and probably others as well), it would be a great timesaver to have this in the list, instead of typing in "150" every time I need it.

Alternatively, an option to have user defined DPI or recently used values would be good.

I would like to see this too.

I regularly create banners from a 150 dpi template. So I often upsize photo elements at 150 dpi for the composition.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey