You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Losing my image when i have the background up i tried to put another image behind the background layer as soon as i do it disappears

Hello and welcome to the forums @bluntlarry,

The visibility of the layers goes from topmost down. In other words the top layer covers over the lower layers, if your upper layer is filling the whole image area then the lower layers will be hidden. You can increase the canvas size by going to Document > Resize Canvas... or you can shrink the size of the topmost layer by using the Move tool to select it and physically drag the sides or corners (if it is an 'unlocked' layer, there is a lock icon to the right of the layers panel). finally you can make the top layer more or less transparent by using the Opacity in the layers panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am sorry, I have not made my self clear, whilst moving part of an image, so that I was going to put behind or should say on the other side of a fence. the fence being the background while put the first image down and under the background it just disappears  advice will be appreciated .

Which application are you using Photo, Designer or Publisher. What sort of layers are the 'images'? There is a layer type called Image.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @bluntlarry,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Could you please provide a screen recording, clearly showing your document in Affinity, the Layer Studio and the steps you are taking when this issue occurs?

Hopefully this will help us to understand this issue further, as unfortunately I'm not quite sure what you're seeing at this time!

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below -

Many thanks in advance!

I see nothing wrong in your screen recording.
The ordering of what you see in the Layers panel is reflected in what you see in the canvas area.
By pulling the second image down to below the first image you opened in the Layers stack, it is now being completely covered by that first image and so is no longer visible on the canvas.
The Layers stack is like a stack of objects, with the top most covering and effecting the ones below.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hard to say without knowing exactly what James was demonstrating.
Can you point us to the relevant video you were watching?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Presumably you want to hide the feet of the statue behind the breakwater. But your original images are showing no selections, masks or cutouts of any kind. You will need to create these before you can achieve the effect that you want.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

58 minutes ago, bluntlarry said:

The one where he put an image in to another  image, and put wolf behind the  tiger

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There's no explanation in that video of how you create the 

2 hours ago, h_d said:

mask

He's sort of starting in the middle of the process.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Yes, perhaps confusingly James has already “clipped” off the right hand side of the tiger image prior to starting the video.
If you look at the Layers panel in the recording, next to the the thumbnail of the tiger layer, is another icon in white showing that that layer has been clipped.
This allows any content under the right side of the tiger layer to show through.

Also visible in that video is another layer above the tiger layer marked as (Curve), I suspect that is being used to make the diagonal black dividing line that is seen to separate the two images on the canvas.

This tutorial explains Masking vs Clipping and may help you see what James’s earlier, unseen steps, may have been:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/318402519/

15 minutes ago, markw said:

James has already “clipped” off the right hand side of the tiger image

1 minute ago, markw said:

This tutorial explains Masking vs Clipping

The tiger image is actually masked rather than clipped, which is why there’s a ‘Crop’ icon on the thumbnail in the Layers panel.

You can use the Trapezoid Tool to create a suitable cropping/masking shape, and then simply drag the shape layer in the Layers panel and drop it onto the thumbnail of the background layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)