You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here is a design for a can label.

The original is on an A4 landscape sheet, the forum software has reduced the size of the image displayed here. The original label is drawn 247 mm wide by 102 mm high. I realize that for a real product that much more information will be needed on the can label and that the artwork would need bleed areas, but this is just a concept illustration as if a label has been saved from an experimental can and archived in an album.

can_label_tomato1.thumb.png.056e3ca96aa04ec234386ecba8c82161.png

The font is Goudita Heavy SF, at 48 point and 24 point.

This is just a design idea to support a project of mine.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/Gluten-free_Vegan_Pur%C3%A9e_Foods_Futuristic.htm

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

31 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So an extra panel, ready to receive the necessary information about ingredients and nutrition and manufacturer.

Don’t forget the barcode!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I needed to reduce the type size for the top part due to the longer word on the top line, from 48 point to 42 point and then that needed two paragraphs and I needed to reduce the interparagraph spacing.

can_label_ratatouille.thumb.png.5d14b12ab050c3825a5403554148e4af.png

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

28 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Now with a panel for the barcode.

EAN-13 barcodes aren’t that wide, and I’m not convinced that you really need a separate panel.

William's tomato soup.png

Alfred spacer.png

12 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I needed to reduce the type size for the top part due to the longer word on the top line, from 48 point to 42 point

Alternatively, reduce the tracking slightly. I think this is still quite legible:

William's ratatouille soup.png

Alfred spacer.png

Well ....

http://www.barcodeadvice.org/barcodefaq.html

has a section

> How do I know which colours to use for my barcode?

> Does my barcode have to be black and white?

So the idea of the black on the dull yellow might possibly be permissible, but I am going to use the white panel.

William

16 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So the idea of the black on the dull yellow might possibly be permissible, but I am going to use the white panel.

I did wonder about that, but I still think the barcode could reasonably lie within the nutrition/ingredients panel.

William's white barcode.png

Alfred spacer.png

Although not quite touching each other, the 'g' and the 'S' seemed too close, so two paragraphs for the two upper lines, but the default paragraph spacing was 12 point and seemed too large, so the paragraph spacing was reduced from 12 point to 8 point.

can_label_vegetable.thumb.png.45b7c065a256b1b7005459489bd422a1.png

William

10 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Although not quite touching each other, the 'g' and the 'S' seemed too close, so two paragraphs for the two upper lines, but the default paragraph spacing reduced from 12 point to 8 point.

As an alternative to creating separate text layers you could set the Space after value for the ’Vegetable’ paragraph to 2 mm or so.

Alfred spacer.png

In the US you would also have to include a list of ingredients in the order of decreasing volume (or decreasing some quantity, I am not sure it is necessarily the volume). It is supposed to be a complete list, though sometimes they list something vague, such as “spices” (which makes it hard to determine whether it is vegetarian, let alone vegan).

You would also have to specify the number of servings in the can, which can be used to fool the mathematically less than sharp consumers into thinking there is less fat/salt/carbs/calories/etc in the can than there actually is because those customers just assume the whole can is 1 serving, despite it stating somewhere on the label that it is 2½ (or some non-integer value) servings in the can. Because apparently dividing by 2½ is something a lot of people cannot figure out. 🤣

You need to add an image to the can and make the text less boring

Pureed, vegan, gluten free food should not come across as bland if you want to encourage people to try it

Lots of people tend to shop with their eyes first and only then read the labels (if they have a specific requirement to do so)

Personally, I just grab what looks good on the tin

stew2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

In the US you would also have to include a list of ingredients in the order of decreasing volume (or decreasing some quantity, I am not sure it is necessarily the volume). It is supposed to be a complete list, though sometimes they list something vague, such as “spices” (which makes it hard to determine whether it is vegetarian, let alone vegan).

You would also have to specify the number of servings in the can, which can be used to fool the mathematically less than sharp consumers into thinking there is less fat/salt/carbs/calories/etc in the can than there actually is because those customers just assume the whole can is 1 serving, despite it stating somewhere on the label that it is 2½ (or some non-integer value) servings in the can. Because apparently dividing by 2½ is something a lot of people cannot figure out. 🤣

In the United Kingdom there are similar rules over listing ingredients and nutrition.

There always seems to be a desire to make the type as small as legally allowed.

For me, getting enough calories is an issue. I keep a food diary, noting down the kilocalories of everything I consume, and keeping a running total.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

In the United Kingdom there are similar rules over listing ingredients and nutrition.

I suppose it's the same in Europe.

But like legal notices in some ads, a magnifier doesn't suffice to read, it's more like a microscope! There's rules for the size of those texts, they should be readable (especially if there's a checkmark about not keeping personal datas with coupons).

In the last years, in France, Monoprix brand distinguished their products using only text, a funy (?) sentence (pun) and different colors on their packages.

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

In the last years, in France, Monoprix brand distinguished their products using only text, a funy (?) sentence (pun) and different colors on their packages.

Can you explain the pun please?

I only know one pun that involves French.

It is that an Englishman asked the band in a French location to play the tune about the pink aeroplane.

William

They added puns on the packaging.

For example, puns about dating (and the 06....... field for completing a phone number)

Packaging-Monoprix.jpg

« J'ai eu un coup de [P]oudre pour toi », instead of "foudre" for this cocoa powder. "I fell for you" (We use "to be thunderstruck" for meaning "falling in love at the first sight".)

« T'es dispo pour un petit [vert] ?» "vert" (= green) instead of "verre" (drink): "Are you available for a drink/green?"

It look like their newer packages, since now there's pictures on the packagings.

https://wise.com/gb/blog/calling-codes-for-france

So the 06 seems  to be a space where one may write one's mobile telephone number before handing the label to someone.

Perhaps I should explain the pun in my earlier post.

In French, the pink aeropane is "l'avion rose". There is a famous song "la vie en rose". So the Engloshman had mistranslated the title of the song.

I was told that one years ago.

I have now remembered one that actually happened to me was that one year in the Eurovision song contest, a song, either from France or Belgium, was in French and the title in French was either spoken or maybe displayed on the screen as "Le jardin de l'âme" and I mistakenly thought it meant "The garden of the donkey."

Le jardin de l'âme
Le jardin de l'âne

William

6 minutes ago, William Overington said:

one year in the Eurovision song contest, a song, either from France or Belgium, was in French

“Close, but no cigar!” as the saying goes. It was from Switzerland, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dans_le_jardin_de_mon_âme

Alfred spacer.png

Ah, it was Switzerland in 2002 and I misremembered the title slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZEEvq1i7PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xCXY56aLZQ

I think I watched it on the German channel ARD on the Astra satellite television system, so would not have heard an English translation.

A fun pun would be a stalactite television system.

William