You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Starting to use a Wacom One graphics tablet

I have just started to use the Wacom One graphics tablet that I bought recently.

I have it up and running and have been able to draw a few shapes into an Affinity Designer document.

However, at present I find that I do not know whereabouts it is going to start the line until the stylus touches the pad and there is a mark on the screen.

Is there some way that I can get a non-marking cursor on the screen so that I know where the inking will start please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Do you mean you don't see any cursor at all until the stylus touches the pad? 

Yes. I accidently changed colour once!

What if you move the mouse (without clicking & without deactivating the Wacom), do you see its cursor then?

I didn't think to touch the touchpad while I was using the graphics pad.

I unplugged the graphics tablet and put it away. I hope to try that later.

Thank you for replying.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

39 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Yes. I accidently changed colour once!

Color of what – of the cursor?

39 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I didn't think to touch the touchpad while I was using the graphics pad.

You can use all devices, no need to use the tablet exclusively. It's just one more device aside trackpad and mouse.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I read the changing the colour as "There being no indication of where my cursor was I accidentally changed the colour by clicking in the colour panel"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

However, at present I find that I do not know whereabouts it is going to start the line until the stylus touches the pad and there is a mark on the screen.

With my Wacom Intuos Pro as the pen tip approaches the tablet the cursor appears. So perhaps, when starting, you just need to approach the surface of the tablet more slowly?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So perhaps, when starting, you just need to approach the surface of the tablet more slowly?

Yes, to see the cursor switching to the according tool cursor. But the OP wrote "Is there some way that I can get a non-marking cursor" which implies there is no cursor visible before reaching this stylus distance.

Does Windows require (or prefer) an app relaunch or system reboot after a new device got plugged?

But the OP wrote "Is there some way that I can get a non-marking cursor" which implies there is no cursor visible before reaching this stylus distance.

I always have a cursor visible. Of course, it may not be anywhere near where the pen will be if I touch the tablet.

But the correct cursor will appear in the correct spot, without making any marks or having any effect, if I move it close to (but not touching) the tablet surface. That seems, to me, to be what the OP needs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

You can use all devices, no need to use the tablet exclusively. It's just one more device aside trackpad and mouse.

The colour of the line that the pen was drawing.

It appears to be like a mouse in parallel with the trackpad. I don't have an external mouse fitted. The keyboard on the computer went faulty some time ago so I use a full size USB keyboard, a logitech K120 that I got delivered with the grocery, and the tracking part of the trackpad works but the pressing bit has gone that it sometimes works and sometimes does not, so I use mouse keys on the keyboard, usually just 5 / - 0 and . in conjunction with the trackpad. I have a USB mouse unit that I used with an older computer but I have not needed to use that yet, and there are only two basic USB sockets on the computer, so I would need to get a USB whatever its called if I want three USB devices plugged in at once.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I read the changing the colour as "There being no indication of where my cursor was I accidentally changed the colour by clicking in the colour panel"

Yes, exactly that.

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Yes, to see the cursor switching to the according tool cursor. But the OP wrote "Is there some way that I can get a non-marking cursor" which implies there is no cursor visible before reaching this stylus distance.

Does Windows require (or prefer) an app relaunch or system reboot after a new device got plugged?

Yes, I rebooted the computer before I tried drawing anything.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Are you running the latest Drivers?

Here is how I have the pen setup for my wacom on mac.

786044756_ScreenShot2021-06-22at8_44_28AM.png.3a6a0a100449142d766993bafa0d02fc.png

338562637_ScreenShot2021-06-22at8_43_00AM.png.9921882d1e297aef42c4ac9954416ca4.png

Looking at those images, I notice mention of a pen button.

As a result I looked closely at the pen and now realize that there appear to be two buttons on it.

So I need to find out what they are for.

When I opened the box the Wacom tablet had that funny 'smell of newness' that some, but not all, new electronic equipment has, so as it seemed a horrible smell I put the tablet back in the box, though the box open and put it in another room so as to try to clear the smell. I don't know how long it will take. Does anyone know what that small is please? Hopefully it is not noxious but I do find many cleaning products smell awful, so I avoid many of them. I have found pomegranate fairy liquid in warm water fine though, so I have used that for floor cleaning for years.

William

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Are you running the latest Drivers?

Hopefully so, I downloaded it or them from the website listed on the box earlier today.

I have not set anything up though other than downloading the drivers and running the program and rebooting.

I then just tried drawing.

Not knowing anything about it, I had before starting to set up the drawing tablet, opened Affinity Designer and set up a copy of one of my landscape artwork files using a Save As and then clearing the original content. Just so as I have a record of my progress with using a drawing tablet.

William

William

12 hours ago, William Overington said:

As a result I looked closely at the pen and now realize that there appear to be two buttons on it.

Looking at the pen again this morning it appears that what I thought was two buttons is a rocker switch if that is the correct parlance, with three positions, ambient when not touching it, to the nib and from the nib, which may not be the correct parlance, but hopefully explains what I mean.

Here is a png of the result of my first go with the graphics tablet yesterday.

The png is 553 pixels wide by 400 pixels high.

The original artwork is 2171 pixels wide by 1571 pixels high. That is the size that I use if I am making artwork to produce a customized full field landscape greetings card at Papier.

https://www.papier.com/landscape-photo-313

I make my experimental artwork at that size, or the portrait format version, so that whatever I produce is already the correct size to produce a greetings card if I choose to get one.

https://www.papier.com/portrait-photo-315

Please note the colour change that I mentioned. Black was the first colour used, by default, I did not actually choose it.

Please note how two lines, one at the top, one at the right go off the edge. If I get a Papier print then the image shown includes the bleed areas that will get cut off. I think that I may have landed the pen nib just off screen and drew to get onto the screen, but I don't remember.

Not apparent are the black marks one on the background above the image and one off to the left.

tablet001.png.e75d0808b5e196102257c1e0dab7a447.png

William

I don't know if it has something to do with using the tablet yesterday or not, but I cannot get the ordinary mouse-controlled brush to put anything onto a canvas this morning. I tried to add something to the above image, but it did not work. So I closed Affinity Designer, started it up again and started with an A5 landscape canvas. I get the brush circle moving around on the screen but nothing is painted.

Any ideas on what may be happening and how to fix it please?

William

I have found the problem and resolved it.

I was trying to draw with the trackpad and the mouse down does not work. So I was just doing a mouseover move.

When I used 5 0 on the mousekeys on the USB keyboard to do a mouse down and held down then dragged using the trackpad I got a painted line.

William

I bought one of these some time ago.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/306845753

I had no immediate use for it, but I liked the colour, so I got one while they were available.

In the event, I now use it to store the pen, cable, and the packet that contains the spare tips and the tool. Just those things.

The green box makes it much less likely that I will mislay any of them!

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

The green box makes it much less likely that I will mislay any of them!

The bright green box is currently unavailable. There are similar ‘blush’ and ‘teal’ boxes, but they’re obviously not quite as eye-catching!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

what?
Starting to use a Wacom One graphics tablet

1. choose the right box
2. talk about your decision

The large white one might even take the Wacom + some pens, cake and pancakes + an ipad and possibly a macbook air. Add your vaccine passport, waterproofed.

1460986791_tupperware-party2.png.5594cfadc015aff6927851bd6c55b824.png

On 6/23/2021 at 9:41 AM, William Overington said:

Looking at the pen again this morning it appears that what I thought was two buttons is a rocker switch if that is the correct parlance, with three positions, ambient when not touching it, to the nib and from the nib, which may not be the correct parlance, but hopefully explains what I mean.

Could someone possibly tell me what is the significance of that rocker switch please?

I don't know where to find all the information.

William

t