You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - How to hide the spread border/outline?

In my Master Page spread I'm adding a shadow effect to look like the center of a magazine, but the default border lines are messing me up.  Really it's only the center/border line.  It's showing as a lighter line over the shadows I've added.  Of course it's does not export so everything comes out fine.  But when adjusting the shadow and blur effects it's hard to determine exactly what I got until export.

So, how can I hide this? Any ideas please.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 1.17.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 1.17.23 PM.png

This line disturbs me too – especially if the layout / design handles the spread as 1 undivided area – but I didn't find a way to hide or recolor this line. The preview option deactivates various "Show…" options and the bleed color may get customized but this line / page border insists as is.

In case of your center shadow I personally would lighten it and try this way to make the line disappear. (the shadow looks unnaturally dark to me or as if the book would be very thick)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

The preview option deactivates various "Show…" options and the bleed color may get customized but this line / page border insists as is.

I think that qualifies as a bug. Anybody else agree?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@chrisborgman

Bonsoir,
Voici deux capture, le fichier dans Publisher et le pdf ouvert dans Designer.

Good evening,
Here are two captures, the file in Publisher and the pdf opened in Designer.

Publiser et Designer Bêta.

Capture d’écran (50).png

Capture d’écran (51).png

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

37 minutes ago, uneMule said:

Here are two captures, the file in Publisher and the pdf opened in Designer.

The PDF is not the question here. As the OP mentioned these lines do not occur on export.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I think that qualifies as a bug. Anybody else agree?

Yes, in particular because opening an .afpub in AD does not show these lines – even if bleed is set to visible in AD.

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

The PDF is not the question here. As the OP mentioned these lines do not occur on export.

Bonjour. C'était juste une façon de montrer que le problème est dans Publisher.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

It is not a bug.It is by design. The line in the middle shows the inside edges of the left and right sides. If it bothers you, you should create a file in A3 landscape, for example, if you need A4 all double page. You should also consider defining this as a single page.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

15 minutes ago, Komatös said:

It is not a bug.It is by design. The line in the middle shows the inside edges of the left and right sides. If it bothers you, you should create a file in A3 landscape, for example, if you need A4 all double page. You should also consider defining this as a single page.

I think, what this vertical line is and what it is for, is clear to everyone. The question is if there should be an opportunity to get rid of it for a clean preview. For me it is not really important. But others may have a different point of view.

@Komatös, the issue is not that this line exists but that it is displayed in preview mode and not set to invisible together with all other non-design items.

Preview Mode can used to view your publication spread without any distracting on-screen design aids (e.g., guides, grids, margins or bleed preview) from being shown. Off-page objects or partially overlapping objects are clipped to canvas. This may help you envisage how your finished project may look.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/GetStarted/view.html?title=Viewing

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

@Komatös, the issue is not that this line exists but that it is displayed in preview mode and not set to invisible together with all other non-design items.

That's what I meant. Possibly the point is that the vertical line is no "on-screen design aid" (which are blue lines).

There is another thing that confuses me:

To display full screen:

Do one of the following:

• Click the Full Screen button at the top of your window (this is the top-left green button for OS X Yosemite users).
  • From the Window menu, select Toggle Full Screen.

I don't know if that works on Mac, but on Windows there isn't a "Toggle Full Screen" entry in the "Window" menu.

I'll be surprised what the support staff have to say about this.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@Komatös, it was already logged as a Windows bug, now it is for Mac, too.

18 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

The fact that the line is still present when you Preview has been logged before. I will spade the issue with your information about how it affects facing pages and pss it on to the development team.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=afb-4493