You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it better for you with your computer?

Bonjour à tous,
en pièce jointe un petit fichier qui pose problème avec ma machine... qui n'en peut plus. Ce n'est que du texte !
J'utilise un portable avec un Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 16 Go de ram et un SSD 860evo de 500 Go. Une HD4000 et une nvidia GT650M comme carte graphique et j'utilise l'écran de mon portable.
J'ai testé ce fichier avec la version 1.9.2.1035 et la version 1.10.0.1085. Et comme on dit chez nous c'est "kif-kif bourricot" (c'est pareil).
Comme j'envisage de changer de machine et peut être pour un apple M1, je m'interroge sur le gain de performance sur ce type de machine avec ce fichier.
Ou si ce fichier se comporte de façon fluide pour vous, quelle configuration utilisez-vous ?
Si quelqu'un peut tester, je suis preneur.
Merci pour le retour.

Hello to all,
attached is a small file that is causing problems with my machine... which can't take it anymore.  It's all text!
I'm using a laptop with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 16GB ram and a 500GB 860evo SSD. An HD4000 and a nvidia GT650M as graphics card and I use my laptop screen.
I tested this file with version 1.9.2.1035 and version 1.10.0.1085. And as we say in our house it's "kif-kif bourricot" (it's the same).
As I plan to change my machine and maybe for an apple M1, I wonder about the performance gain on this type of machine with this file.
Or if this file behaves smoothly for you, what configuration are you using?
If anyone can test, I'm a taker.
Thanks for the feedback.

performances_publisher.JPG

dxdiag.JPG

dictionnaire_test_mp.afpub

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

41 minutes ago, uneMule said:

(...) causing problems with my machine... which can't take it anymore.
(...) If anyone can test,

Test what? Your .afpub opens to me in v193 as expected, I can scroll through the document without delay, it just takes a while for any focused page to create the thumbnail in the Pages Panel. I can select text frames and delete or copy text and paste it at the end of the document without delay. – I saved it without changing it, does this .afpub make a difference to you?

dictionnaire_test_ot.afpub

Does it change anything for you if you reduce the document resolution an/or set it to grayscale and the text to 100 K (not RGB). I didn't try but possibly it's influencing the display process for the app … or your problems (which I don't actually know: what is "can't take it" ?)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso Bonjour, de mon côté le défilement est très ... très lent, et si je souhaite supprimer les \n pour les remplacer par des (virgule espace) alors là...
Si pour vous le document se comporte de façon fluide c'est que ma  machine rame un peu. Ma question est de choisir une machine qui supporte bien ça et éviter de me tromper.

Guten Tag, meinerseits ist das Scrollen sehr... sehr langsam, und wenn ich die \n löschen möchte, um sie durch (Leerkomma) zu ersetzen, dann hier...
Wenn das Dokument für Sie fließend ist, dann weil meine Maschine etwas rudert. Meine Frage ist, eine Maschine zu wählen, die das gut verträgt, und mich nicht zu täuschen.

Hello, on my side the scrolling is very ... very slow, and if I want to delete the \n and replace them with (comma space) then there ...
If the document behaves smoothly for you, it's because my machine is a bit slow. My question is to choose a machine that supports this well and avoid making mistakes.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

4 minutes ago, uneMule said:

My question is to choose a machine that supports this well

I guess your equipment is absolutely sufficient. Possibly you can improve the behavior of Affinity with a customized setting in app prefs > performance. There seems to be various options and possible combinations.

I vaguely remember various topics where these preferences were recommended as one solution in case of missing speed, with, ironically, deactivating hardware acceleration as one of the tipps to increase a more fluent workflow.

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

deactivating hardware acceleration

yes, and indeed replacing the nvidia (default) by the hd4000 has already changed things.
But the hardware acceleration is not supported by my machine.

Toujours pas !

Since the influencing aspects are not clear or sound contrary I'd try to alter anything which maybe demanding for the page redraw. Because your .afpup has to handle text only: what if you set deactivate antialiasing in the layer blend options? Unfortunately you didn't use a mster page text frame, so to notice a change you would either need to set this for many pages, or, probably faster, create a new document with using the master page – even though auto-textflow could be demanding, too.

While writing this post I notice your .afpub causes APub to work a lot in background (the fan speeds up), obviously to create all the page thumbnails. Does this happen to you too? Do all page thumbnails exist already if you open the document?  I would expect this thumbnails got created to you when you created the pages. – After about 5 minutes my computer's fan slows down, switching to APub shows all page icons created for the entire document – but then after save-as, close and reopen all page thumbnails are blank again. That's quite odd. I would expect them to be stored in the .afpub, or at least in a Affinity temp folder as long APub remains opened.

@thomaso Effectivement j'ai fait ça un peu à la vas-y comme je te pousse ! Maintenant un fichier de +1600 pages...
Vous avez raison pour tout, le chargement de vignettes, les ventilateurs... Ce qui est étonnant c'est la montée de la charge après le chargement complet. Et actuellement, après la vidéo, les ventilateurs sont toujours à fond !?

Indeed I did it a little bit like I push you! Now a file of +1600 pages...
You're right about everything, loading thumbnails, fans... What is amazing is the load increase after the full load. And right now, after the video, the fans are still going full blast!?

Toujours pas !

Interesting, the file you sent loads fine and scrolling is a bit slow to quite slow depending on how I am doing it. Find and replace works well with the Regular Expressions. But building one from scratch is quite slow. Geologically slow for importing a text file I made with Copy and Paste, that is a hell of a lot of text. I will have some coffee and do some more testing later.

I would like to think that you downloaded that text instead of manually typing / transcribing a dictionary.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I've opened this file on my i7, 24 Gig Win 10 pc - it's very slow to load, but the cpu and memory load stay quite low until after the thumbnails have been populated, at which point they both increase dramaticaly.  Any action causes the cpu load to go up to >90%, memory between 50% and 70%.  Surprisingly, APub doesn't seem to slow down much!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

21 minutes ago, uneMule said:

What is amazing is the load increase after the full load. And right now, after the video, the fans are still going full blast!?

The fans speed gets set by the temperature, fortunately, – not by processor usage directly. So they run until the temp is reduced.

P.S.: I just noticed that also my documents open with blank page icons and take their time to create them, even the daily used one which I usually don't close / which auto-opens on app launch.

I think such tests with OS tools aren't quite reliable / they don't tell much about what's going on exactly. Here on mac, too, the CPU usage increases when oping your file, while the GPU is rather on idle unless I do something in APub (e.g. switch pages).

So the question is rather what prevents APub from working more smooth after these previews were generated. Without detailed info by Serif we can guess only. And do more or less useful trial and error. For instance: does the master page play a role for the process / does anything change if you delete the master page (there is no content but every single page needs to check this emptyness). I also read the moderator' hint in the forum that reducing the available RAM in the app prefs can speed up the app, (though its sounds odd, too).

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

I would like to think that you downloaded that text instead of manually typing / transcribing a dictionary.

Hello @Old Bruce
oui, c'est un fichier que j'avais récupéré, je ne sais plus où.
A l'époque où je m'intéressais au C++, il servait de base pour choisir des mots au hasard.

yes, it's a file I had retrieved, I don't know where.
At the time I was interested in C++, it was used as a base to pick words at random.

Toujours pas !

@thomaso Ce que je vois me fait rêver.
Je suis en train de refaire le fichier, toujours sur la bêta, en utilisant une master page. Document RVB, résolution à 72 dpi. Pour voir.
La simple importation du texte est une vraie souffrance.
J'ai lancé la création automatique des pages...
J'aimerai vraiment trouver une réponse à ce phénomène ?!

What I see makes me dream.
I'm redoing the file, still on the beta, using a master page. RGB document, 72 dpi resolution. To see.
Just importing the text is a real pain.
I have launched the automatic creation of pages...
I would really like to find an answer to this phenomenon!

Toujours pas !

@uneMule

I have been trying to load the English words list I got from https://github.com/dwyl/english-words/blob/master/words_alpha.txt into a new Publisher [Beta 1.10.0.1085] file. And it is so slow I have to force quit. However I was actually trying for the single page layout of uneMule's original file. Using a Master page with a three column Text Frame, it looked as though there was nothing happening when I tried to get the text to flow from the first page. Eventually I could get the text to autoflow by using only the words from a - azurous.

Then I made a facing page spread document and had no difficulty with the entire a - zwitterionic text flowing. 25,000 words versus 370,000 words. This was with linked text frames on a Master Page.

So there is something wrong with the Single Page auto flowing method. I'll have to wake up first before I post a bug report, unless someone else would like to. I am hardly erudite this early for me (I stayed up late to watch Godzilla last night)

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I stayed up late to watch Godzilla last night

C'est sans doute une bonne raison.

@ all
J'ai pu enregistrer mon fichier réalisé avec la master page. En ouvrant ce nouveau document j'ai "l'impression" que c'est moins pire. Si on peut dire ça comme ça.
Depuis j'ai fait une petite modif au niveau des option graphiques du système en ajoutant l'application avec les paramètres graphiques qui correspondent au préférences de l'application (capture jointe). Et là ça à l'air mieux. Coïncidence ou réalité...
Testé avec la version 1.9.2.1035. La sélection des occurrences plante dans la version bêta. Déjà signalé dans un autre post.

I was able to save my file made with the master page. When I open this new document, I feel like it's "bad less". If you can say it like that.
Since I made a small modification at the level of the graphic options of the system by adding the application with the graphic parameters which correspond to the preferences of the application (capture joined). And now it looks better. Coincidence or reality...
Tested with version 1.9.2.1035. Hit selection crashes in the beta version. Already reported in another post.

parametres_graphiques.JPG

Toujours pas !

Opening your first file in Publisher Beta 1.10.0.1085 my laptop gets up to a bit over 90% CPU utilization and about 12 GB of memory usage before the CPU utilization decreases to 18% or so. Then the CPU goes back up to 90% or so, and the memory usage goes up to almost 18GB, and then the CPU eventually drops again.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Then I made a facing page spread document and had no difficulty with the entire a - zwitterionic text flowing. 25,000 words versus 370,000 words. This was with linked text frames on a Master Page.

Multiple linked text frames (3?) on the Master Page, or 1 text frame with 3 columns as uneMule has in the original document?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell,

Geez I said I was less than erudite. Just slow and sleepy I guess if truth be told. [slightly embarrassed over my lack of clarity face emoticon]

One text frame (with three columns) on each page linked to the other (next/previous) page.

Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Just slow and sleepy

A small coffee in an Italian coffee maker. A full of caffeine. 😉

Toujours pas !

3 hours ago, uneMule said:

I was able to save my file made with the master page. When I open this new document, I feel like it's "bad less". If you can say it like that.

Your video about opening the master page / text-flow version looks a lot better (faster, less demanding) than the one about the non-master/not-flowing .afpub before.

I tried to load your .txt file but Apub appeared to freeze for some minutes without visible progress, so I quit. – Could you upload your master/flow-.afpub for a trial please?

14 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I tried to load your .txt file but Apub appeared to freeze for some minutes without visible progress, so I quit.

Pour moi, c'est pareil. Mais j'ai quand même pu enregistrer un fichier à la fin.*****For me, it's the same. But I was still able to save a file at the end.

16 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Could you upload your master/flow-.afpub for a trial please?

Avec plaisir. Le voici.*****With pleasure. Here it is.

dictionnaire_test_MasterPage.afpub

Toujours pas !

FWIW, I opened the file from the first post on my Intel iMac (specs in my sig below). Page one appeared within one second, as did the page one preview in the pages panel. I then set the pages panel to show large icons (so I could better see how quickly previews appeared) & scrolled down to near the end of the Pages panel as quickly as I could.

After 4-5 seconds, when previews for pages in the 1600 range had not yet appeared, I double clicked on one of those pages in the panel & its preview immeiately appeared, as the page did in the document window. Just after that, the remaining previews filled in & there is no lag when scrolling or selecting any of them.

At no time did my iMac fan speed up enough to hear it, nor did I notice any part of my system straining according to Activity Monitor.

I did not do any more testing than that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R This is indeed a good and recent configuration. Thanks.

@ all.  It seems that the new M1 is more powerful than the same generation intel. Hard to say.

Toujours pas !