You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 'New From Clipboard' resolution

Hi All,

I am working with 400dpi tiff scans and I need to create a library of items to combine into a final 400dpi artwork.

When I copy and create 'New From Clipboard' the resolution changes from 400dpi to 96dpi, is the best solution to: 'Resize Document…' to 400dpi with the 'Resample' checkbox unticked?

Thanks

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Bliplirp!

Why not opening or placing the scans in Affinity Photo? Is there a special reason why you want to use the clipboard?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

My client is supplying 400dpi tiff scans with multiple items that need to be seperated and itemised for a library which will eventually be combined to create final artworks. Copy and paste seems to be the quickest way of achieving this? I have tried cropping and exporting but with multiple items this is time-consuming.

9 minutes ago, Bliplirp said:

My client is supplying 400dpi tiff scans with multiple items that need to be seperated and itemised for a library which will eventually be combined to create final artworks. Copy and paste seems to be the quickest way of achieving this? I have tried cropping and exporting but with multiple items this is time-consuming.

1. Open the document.
  2. Switch to the Export Persona, and select the Slice Tool.
  3. Draw slices around each of the items.
  4. Switch to the Slices panel, and export all of them in one operation by clicking Export Slices. (You may want to adjust the kind of export you're creating, but it should default to PNG which should be an appropriate type.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, Bliplirp said:

I am working with 400dpi tiff scans and I need to create a library of items to combine into a final 400dpi artwork.

When I copy and create 'New From Clipboard' the resolution changes from 400dpi to 96dpi

This issue has a serious impact on my workflow, and I'd hoped this would have been changed in Photo v2

Most of my work is for web and I always work at 72dpi. When I finish a page design I copy and use 'New from clipboard' to create a duplicate of the layout and then use that to mark up font specs, spacings, gutter sizes, colours, font styles, etc, to pass on to my programming colleagues, so that I'm not in danger of adding the markup to my 'master' artwork.

The new duplicate file opens at 96dpi instead of 72dpi, which has caused me serious issues. Not realising that the document is at 96dpi the measurements for font sizes are wrong. I've learned to change the duplicate document to 72dpi, but occasionally I forget, and the results can be a real pain.

Is there a way to get 'New from clipboard' to remember to keep the same resolution as the original?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, colindun said:

The new duplicate file opens at 96dpi instead of 72dpi, which has caused me serious issues.

Which (96dpi) is nowadays more correct here and thus in line with common other third party apps compatibility in that regard. - Also new created web based documents should have 96dpi instead of 72dpi to be in line too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Also new created web based documents should have 96dpi instead of 72dpi to be in line too.

For what it's worth, all the "Web" Presets in Photo 2 are for either 72dpi or 144dpi.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

On 4/7/2023 at 7:17 PM, v_kyr said:

Which (96dpi) is nowadays more correct here and thus in line with common other third party apps compatibility in that regard. - Also new created web based documents should have 96dpi instead of 72dpi to be in line too.

Interesting information which doesn't help me at all, I'm afraid. I have literally *thousands* of 72dpi documents that I have created over the last 25 years, and regularly open files 5 or more years old to adapt, edit or re-use them.

Be that as it may, 'New from Clipboard' should *surely* retain the dpi used in the original file, whatever that was. It doesn't.

So, *is* there a way to force Photo to use the original resolution? Knowing how to do this would be very useful to me.

10 minutes ago, colindun said:

So, *is* there a way to force Photo to use the original resolution? Knowing how to do this would be very useful to me.

For clipboard copy/paste usage don't know. - Other than that exporting or saving files as 72ppi/dpi and then reusing those (duplicate copies or templates) should eleminate the clipboard reusage problem here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 hours ago, colindun said:

I have literally *thousands* of 72dpi documents that I have created over the last 25 years, and regularly open files 5 or more years old to adapt, edit or re-use them.

Use a batch process to convert all these files to 96dpi (or whatever). You could use one of my Change DPI macros to do the job.

John

Windows 11, Affinity Photo 2.4.2 Designer 2.4.2 and Publisher 2.4.2 (mainly Photo).

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500 @ 3.00GHz. RAM: 32.0GB  DDR4 @ 1063MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 8:38 PM, v_kyr said:

For clipboard copy/paste usage don't know. - Other than that exporting or saving files as 72ppi/dpi and then reusing those (duplicate copies or templates) should eleminate the clipboard reusage problem here.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing ultimately, thanks, though it can mean having to keep track of several different versions of a file. I do so wish AP had a simple 'duplicate document' like Photoshop to create a copy of the open document. I used it all the time and many times a day in Photoshop, and even after nearly 18 months using AP I still find the lack of this simple piece of functionality a great handicap and frustration.

On 4/11/2023 at 1:36 PM, John Rostron said:

Use a batch process to convert all these files to 96dpi (or whatever). You could use one of my Change DPI macros to do the job.

John

Thanks. I'll have a look. The issue is that I have these files scattered across various archives and gathering them together for a bulk process is really not practical. I tend to have to open files form an old project on an ad hoc basis, rather than having to open lots from different project at the same time.