You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Settings Not Working

I'm just working my way through things learning all the features, and it's become apparent to me that when I choose a brush when using the Vector Brush Tool, then double click on the brush from the menu to adjust the settings none of the settings actually do anything when I change them - with the sole exception of Brush Width. Size Variance, Opacity Variance, Pressure, the thing at the bottom with the vertical red lines - none of these features are having any effect on the brush stroke when I play about with them. 

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious, but at this point it's looking to me like this might be a bug?

It will be important to mention which brushes, and what drawing implement, you're using.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It will be important to mention which brushes, and what drawing implement, you're using.

I'm using a mouse and it applies to all the brushes, so far as I can see. Might just be Size and Opacity Variance that aren't having any effect. I guess maybe I haven't got to grips with the software yet, but these are basic operations that as far as I can see are not having any effect. If I change the Size or Opacity Variance the sample image changes to give me an idea what the brush looks like, but when I use it on the canvas it doesn't change. No matter how I alter the settings it just looks the same.

6 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

Hi @awakenedbyowls Would you be able to make a short video of your workflow and upload here so we can attempt to reproduce what you are seeing please?

I could try and do a video, but before I do let's see if the following three screen shots explains what I mean?

Three brush strokes on three different settings. All look the same. 

Hopefully it's me that's doing something wrong and not a bug. If it's a bug though, then hopefully you can see what I mean.

This is on the Windows version.

Brush1.JPG

brush2.JPG

brush3.JPG

Do you use a mouse or a pen? Changes to various pressure-sensitive brush stroke settings only work with a pen and tablet.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 24H2 (26100.1742)

Affinity Suite V 2.5.5 & Beta 2.(latest)
Interested in a free (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Before you ask! No!

Have you activated the controller on the context menu?

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.5.5  All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 5.2636
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4412+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

19 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Do you use a mouse or a pen? Changes to various pressure-sensitive brush stroke settings only work with a pen and tablet.

Mouse...

2 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Have you activated the controller on the context menu?

Don't know what that means. What controller in what menu and why?

I'm using the software, working my way through the tutorials and applying a bit of intuition and logic and if I press a button that appears to say it does something, and then it doesn't I'm not sure why that may have anything to do with some setting elsewhere (otherwise it seems fair to assume the button wouldn't then appear to be offering the functionality it does) ... if that makes sense.

I'm not sure I'll even use this feature, but I might. I want to get to the bottom of this. Is it a bug or something I'm doing wrong.

14 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Mouse...

Don't know what that means. What controller in what menu and why?

I'm using the software, working my way through the tutorials and applying a bit of intuition and logic and if I press a button that appears to say it does something, and then it doesn't I'm not sure why that may have anything to do with some setting elsewhere (otherwise it seems fair to assume the button wouldn't then appear to be offering the functionality it does) ... if that makes sense.

I'm not sure I'll even use this feature, but I might. I want to get to the bottom of this. Is it a bug or something I'm doing wrong.

Ok 

When you select different tools on the tool menu...The top bar (context menu/tool settings) changes according to the selected tool

when you select the vector brush tool you should see an option marked Controller..... Change the dropdown to brush defaults or any of your choosing to see if makes a difference!

context bar.jpg

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.5.5  All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 5.2636
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4412+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

15 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Ok 

When you select different tools on the tool menu...The top bar (context menu/tool settings) changes according to the selected tool

when you select the vector brush tool you should see an option marked Controller..... Change the dropdown to brush defaults or any of your choosing to see if makes a difference!

context bar.jpg

Thanks. I have powered down for the night now though so I'll look into that in the morning.

OK so the example of the brush stroke shown is to illustrate the range of variation when using the pen in various controller settings? 💡 This wasn't clear to me since I've only ever used the mouse for this kind of thing. 

Sorry for throwing this up as a bug when it seems to not actually be a bug but I thought it was a bug. I'm glad it's not a bug and just me being a pleb.

In my defence however, I initially started using the brushes under engraving which have default variability in stroke width built in to them so that kind of threw me. I also watched both tutorials on the Vector Brush Tool and Managing Vector Brushes and they don't explain this feature at all - in Managing Vector Brushes the guy just quickly mentions something about changing Size Variance but doesn't go into any detail as to what that does.

1 hour ago, awakenedbyowls said:

OK so the example of the brush stroke shown is to illustrate the range of variation when using the pen in various controller settings? 💡 This wasn't clear to me since I've only ever used the mouse for this kind of thing. 

Sorry for throwing this up as a bug when it seems to not actually be a bug but I thought it was a bug. I'm glad it's not a bug and just me being a pleb.

In my defence however, I initially started using the brushes under engraving which have default variability in stroke width built in to them so that kind of threw me. I also watched both tutorials on the Vector Brush Tool and Managing Vector Brushes and they don't explain this feature at all - in Managing Vector Brushes the guy just quickly mentions something about changing Size Variance but doesn't go into any detail as to what that does.

You are not a pleb! it is just a learning process!... the top Context/Setttings bar catches a lot of people out with regards to brushes.. Either the controller for vectors or the 'Protect Alpha' under raster brushes

The appearance of the brush swatch contained in the Brush Panel changes according to the sliders...If you want to partially see the result of settings or check whether it has influence!

Why don't you buy a cheaper graphics tablet? If I speak about a tablet, I don't mean a iOS or Android device.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 24H2 (26100.1742)

Before you ask! No!

3 hours ago, Komatös said:

Why don't you buy a cheaper graphics tablet? If I speak about a tablet, I don't mean a iOS or Android device.

I just bought Designer and Photo for the iPad and I thought that was my only option. Looking at entry levels ones. Do you mean go for an expensive drawing tablet with a screen? I figured they would probably be going for the same as a bottom range iPad.

OK, that changes the options. Unfortunately, I can't give you a tip on which pens are suitable for iPads. 
However, the question should be answered here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/43-affinity-on-ipad-questions/

Before you ask! No!