You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why are the Affinity Photo defaults so bad?

20 hours ago, rawalanche said:

I have to revisit this thread just because of what a suffering using AP really is. What is the damn point of having and "Adjustment" panel when you can't click the adjustment to actually start adjusting. Instead, you get the retarded rollout of useless presets you need to pick "Default" from. And they constantly keep closing as you keep browsing the adjustment. Yes, you can use the lame Adjustment button below the layer stack, but that one doesn't have icons to quickly visually identify the desired adjustment. 

Everything is just SO. PAINFULLY. SLOW!!!!

😲😲 I have to ask, are you just wanting it to fail? Why would you choose to view a small thumbnail over looking at the workspace, big image? Using the button at the bottom:

1. Immediately pops up the selected adjustment panel. You complained that you must first click the default before getting the actual dialog.
  2. You get a much larger look at the adjustment while you're making them, without the dialog closing.

"Painfully Slow", might be caused by something else, like outdated drivers, PC specs? There's numerous reasons for this, without posting them, we just don't know.

Here's some suggestions:

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

39 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

😲😲 I have to ask, are you just wanting it to fail? Why would you choose to view a small thumbnail over looking at the workspace, big image? Using the button at the bottom:

1. Immediately pops up the selected adjustment panel. You complained that you must first click the default before getting the actual dialog.
  2. You get a much larger look at the adjustment while you're making them, without the dialog closing.

"Painfully Slow", might be caused by something else, like outdated drivers, PC specs? There's numerous reasons for this, without posting them, we just don't know.

Here's some suggestions:

No, painfully slow in terms of workflow. The absolutely obscene amounts of clicks required to do even the most trivial of tasks.

The button at the bottom first requires you to click it before you actually get to the list of the damn adjustments, and you don't even see them with icons so you can quickly identify which one you want. You first need to read through the list.

The panel, in ideal world, would simply allow you to click the adjustment and immediately start adjusting, instead of the stupid preset rollout, which requires you to pause, identify the default preset, and only then start adjusting.

Meanwhile, in Photoshop, it just damn works!

image.png.bf3f3d5a1c9e3da23ba216d8c5cbe06b.png

You just click the damn icon and the adjustment immediately pops up and is ready to be adjusted. No need to first select "default" preset, no need to first click a list of adjustment to open it. You just have panel, directly available, not hidden under any additional click, which you can just quickly go to. No BS.

I mean look at the ridiculousness of it. I have intentionally deleted all the presets except the "Default" which can not be deleted:

image.png.6b72073dc16a4181887eab19d57775b0.png

And it still opens the damn rollout just so that you have to click one more time. At this point it's just trolling. Intentional waste of user's time.

Wow, you're just flat obsessed with that Adjustment Panel 😲. I don't like the panel and never have. I don't use it, I use the "lame button at the bottom". Much faster, easier.

In PS, those icons/buttons, unless you have that panel/tab on top, you must first click on it to access it. Shame you have to click on the tab/panel first.

Since you do not like, in fact despise, the Adjustment Panel, please go to View>Studio>Adjustment and uncheck that one. You will no longer see it, until you re-enable it.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Adjustment Panel 😲. I don't like the panel and never have. I don't use it, I use the "lame button at the bottom". Much faster, easier.

I think the meaning and purpose of the Adjustment Panel is if the user has his own presets ready, which he often uses and repeats. Then the thumbnail display is useful (and of course for the default settings). For one-time (always default) use of Adjustments, it is of course better to use button/icon on the Layer Panel, or menus and keyboard shortcuts.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

26 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I think the meaning and purpose of the Adjustment Panel is if the user has his own presets ready, which he often uses and repeats. Then the thumbnail display is useful (and of course for the default settings). For one-time (always default) use of Adjustments, it is of course better to use button/icon on the Layer Panel, or menus and keyboard shortcuts.

Yes I know and understand what the purpose of it. I just have not liked, and have always used the button. I don't create/save adjustment presets.

As to Affinity’s default behaviors, I have always chosen to take a more forgiving point of view. As a business selling a product, Serif is in charge of which features are included (and which are not) as well as the manner in which they are implemented. As a consumer, I am free to purchase their product or pass it over in favor of something else. I think, when all is said and done, it’s really as simple as that.

The mere fact that this Forum exists, and is so obviously read by Serif developers, implies that they are open to suggestion. But it does not require them to follow anyone’s suggestions.

To suggest that Serif is purposefully making their product feel “cheap,” even in jest, is simply a ridiculous notion. Who would do such a thing?

I, too, have made suggestions regarding the UI. Most of these have not been implemented. But that is the nature of suggestions, after all.

I would love to see the adjustment and live filter panels include a way to access the presets made for that adjustment. I would love it if gradient swatches were accessible to other adjustments that utilize gradients (like the gradient map). And, speaking of the gradient map, I’d really love it if Serif would change the ridiculous tri-color default that I cannot imagine anyone ever really using.

But, it’s not up to me. Like it or not. And insulting them is not likely to change things.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Scroll Zoom is subjective. There is an option to change this (which we know). Not everyone thinks scroll zoom should be default. I personally like zoom scroll, so I changed it. What would suck is there being no option to change it at all lol. I think this is a very small & minute thing. 

Adjustments don't bother me too much. I don't really understand the extra docker, but then again I do? Visually seeing the presets is cool.  I think consolidating this would be more practical and have like a sidecar option to display adjustments. This would open up room for more dockers. Its just diff enough yet the same. 

Note: there is a difference between requesting a feature and insulting the product. Photoshop has had decades to get where it is and it still is lacking in features we literally beg for. Affinity is in a unique spot to listen and conceptualize. I mean Blender is tearing the scene up with collaborations and implementing ideas and is dominating the market (also ITS FREE). Let's be kind, use your words, be concise. Im hopeful. You should be too. Just throw out the idea and hope they bite :)

350561363_2021-06-2411_15_59.png.4de4502b062fedb17300f0151b11147d.png

~ ScotchBonn8