You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

From InDesign .idml to Affinity Publisher -- can't select text

Hello everyone,

This is driving me nuts and I'm sure that there is a simple answer... but I can't seem to find it. I have imported a 32-pages .idml document into Affinity Publisher and the text boxes appear with 4 x's at the 4 corners of the frame... and this is making it impossible for me to select with the Type Tool, Move Tool or Selection Tool. I have included a small video showing the problem. Hope that you can help me -)))

33 minutes ago, janehannah said:

small video

Wow, over 150 MB! I stopped downloading.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, janehannah said:

... the text boxes appear with 4 x's at the 4 corners of the frame...

I think this is because all the text boxes are part of the "A-Master" master page, not on the document page you are trying to edit.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Uploading the document to the forum will be the quickest way to see what is happening and to get it resolved for you

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hello -- I think that I have figured it out. It has something to do with the Master Pages. I do have another question though. My InDesign document has multiple paragraph styles and they convert to Publisher. But I have to go into the document and select each and every paragraph on ALL of my pages to tell Affinity to apply the Paragraph Styles. Is there a way for Affinity to apply all of the Paragraph Styles at the same time? Instead of me having to go in and select each and every different paragraph style?

1.afpub

If you open your layers panel find the highlighted layer indicating the page where you are experiencing the problem. Tap the adjacent layers until the page on which you wish to select the text appears with roundels  and not x’s, and the text tools will flash interactive 

I have had this concern for a while, too, and still do not know what it is about, even after reading this thread.

What do the x's actually signify? "It has something to do with the Master Pages." is not enough info for me to understand the situation. What does it have to do with master pages or whatever?

Likewise, to make the text editable, "Tap the adjacent layers until ... the text appears with roundels  and not x’s..." is not enough to make it editable for me---"nothing happens". What is this random tapping supposed to change; what is it instructing the program to do?

Can someone explain what the x's actually mean and exactly how to get at the text reliably?

Thanks!

hi M. 

This is Rob, I am a relative newbie too, and would also like an explanation of what the x's mean. In desperation, after searching everywhere for an answer without success, I decided to go into the layers panel, and after opening (tapping) consecutive layer panels, discovered that there is one that represents all text on the page. When selected the x's are replaced by blue roundels. This allows for the text on the page to be edited. Other adjacent layer panels are for different text panels; such as the text frame containing the page number, etc. This initiative was excercised because I badly needed to finish the project on which I was working.

I wish someone from Serif would give an explanation for what the x's represent on a text frame.

12 minutes ago, Rob Owen said:

I wish someone from Serif would give an explanation for what the x's represent on a text frame.

I'm not from Serif, but the x's mean that the text frame is on the master page, not on the current document page, and although it can be selected, it cannot be edited or modified unless you either (a) work on the relevant master page or (b) you choose Master Page - Edit Detached (or Edit Linked) from the Layers menu.

241900233_Screenshot2021-04-08at16_58_29.png.9efd96b50eecc69422d1eddc78aab137.png

This is a document page with a master page text frame selected, displaying the crosses (typically used for standing text like folios, repeated headers etc), nested inside Master A):

812368678_Screenshot2021-04-08at16_48_14.png.d2e3d38b8e15f1c73e8f84145b0c4764.png

This is a document page with a document page text frame selected, displaying editable control handles (typically used to contain flowing document content), not nested in the master page:

978943794_Screenshot2021-04-08at16_48_25.png.69ea7edaa4b0c49d8788da17af0c2aad.png

Someone from Serif has explained it further in the help files, Detaching and Linking Master Pages.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.