You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artwork for greetings cards

William Overington

21 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Oh, it looks like that did not work!

So is it possible to make the artwork file available within this forum?

If you want to attach an image file without having it displayed inline, either create a *.zip archive or use a file format such as TIFF instead of PNG or JPEG.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The printed card has now arrived, Saturday morning.

Considering that I placed the order after 9 pm on Thursday, that is good prompt delivery.

I have now placed it in the quarantine box for a week, having first removed the card, the package unopened, that arrived a week ago Thursday.

That card is the third in the series of Software Unicorn prints, using artwork from 1998.

This one is from the following image.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/euto3001.gif

I produced the image in 1998 by adapting a copy of a clip art image of a horse that was provided with Microsoft Office. I think, but I am not quite sure, that I produced the image using the PowerPoint program.

I got a copy of the image from the web, placed it into a blank Affinity Designer document 2171 pixels wide by 1571 pixels high, then, as before with the Software Unicorns reflected in a Lake image, I moved the upper left corner to (100, 100), then I scaled the image by a factor of three both horizontally and vertically by entering numbers in the Transform panel, then I centred the image both horizontally and vertically, then saved the file, then I exported a jpg image at 300 dots per inch

William

300dpi_unicorns3.jpg

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:25 AM, William Overington said:

Oh, it looks like that did not work!

So is it possible to make the artwork file available within this forum?

William

On 5/28/2021 at 5:49 AM, Alfred said:

If you want to attach an image file without having it displayed inline, either create a *.zip archive or use a file format such as TIFF instead of PNG or JPEG.

. . . one other avenue you could try: Export as PDF then rename the extension as ".ai" (without quotes). Since PDF files are the same as Adobe Illustrator files (.ai), the forum won't display, but anyone who opens it with a graphics program will be able to view it. Did that all the time with Drawplus when entering a drawing for consideration by 99designs.

47 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

PDF files are the same as Adobe Illustrator files (.ai)

Or rather, Illy files can — and often do — include a PDF stream, so any graphics program that can read PDF streams (which includes the Affinity apps, of course) will be able to open those files.

Alfred spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Or rather, Illy files can — and often do — include a PDF stream, so any graphics program that can read PDF streams (which includes the Affinity apps, of course) will be able to open those files.

Could you clarify please to which files you are referring in the phrase "those files"?

I am not understanding how the technique suggested would work, the goal being to make the full size 2171 pixel by 1571 pixel artwork available.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

Could you clarify please to which files you are referring in the phrase "those files"?

We were discussing Adobe Illustrator — or ‘Illy’ for short — whose native files (*.ai) contain a PDF stream if saved with the ‘Create PDF Compatible File’ option checked.

Alfred spacer.png

On 5/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, William Overington said:

Two more side discussions.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143324-finding-a-pantone-colour-in-affinity-designer/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143350-does-anyone-here-have-access-to-the-pantone-metallic-chips-book-please/

I am beginning to think that it may be the situation that metallic printing is in practice only available for quite large runs of litho printing. Also, that having more than one metallic ink in an image would be a very costly exercise.

So, I am thinking that it may be that for me, as a hobbyist artist, the best that I can realistically achieve is to produce a design in Affinity Designer, make a jpg file and get a CMYK one-off print from Papier, as if it is a photo greeting card , but using artwork rather than a photograph and knowing that metallic ink will not be used, and also produce a PDF and send a copy to The British Library and note the doing of that in the greeting text inside the greeting card.

But I am going to try to find out if metallic printing can be produced using digital ink jet printing or giclée printing.

William

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The size is not clear.

Was this created at quite a small size, William? It seems rather fuzzy for a PNG image.

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

Was this created at quite a small size, William? It seems rather fuzzy for a PNG image.

The .afdesigb document is 1571 pixels wide by 2171 pixels high. I made the png to be 400 pixels wide, so it became 553 pixels high.

Maybe it is because I used my Gallery font to get started.

This was because the font that I had intended to use, my Chronicle Text font, was not installed. I have now installed Chronicle Text and updated the image, though this is only the second stage,

So that design, if I order a card at Papier, is a three-in-one print, how the gold will look in CMYK, a print of the localizable sentence glyph, and a print of my Chronicle Text font.

Do you notice the little conversation topic about typography that is built into the design?

gold2.png.e4ce01d2e767e063240f165b3f2ddebf.png

William

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

Do you notice the little conversation topic about typography that is built into the design?

I noticed that the kerning of the letter pairs ba, be, bi, etc. needs some attention!

The ‘gold’ colour looks just as green as ever.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

I noticed that the kerning of the letter pairs ba, be, bi, etc. needs some attention!

I hope that that was intended as humour! That is a collection of some of the ligature glyphs in the font.

I hope to add more later.

Did you notice the conversation topic about typography that is in the image?

William

12 hours ago, William Overington said:

Did you notice the conversation topic about typography that is in the image?

12 hours ago, William Overington said:

The conversation topic about typography.

http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1080

No, I didn’t notice, but all has become clear now! Thanks for the link.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to another thread, which, in the event, led to the production of another greeting card.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143812-informal-design-workshop-idea/

William

A link to a related thread about experimenting with applying a colour font.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/144236-some-language-independent-glyphs-for-museum-shops/

William

Recently I have carried out a couple of experiments, one about using Microsoft 3D builder as a way to generate 2D images of 3D models for placing in an Affinity Designer document, and the other with starting to use a graphics tablet.

For each experiment I generated an Affinity Designer document and, just in case I got something that I would like to use to order a customized greetings card from Papier, I made the Affinity Designer documents to be the size such that they could be used directly to order a customized greeting card from Papier.

In the event for each experiment I started a spin-off thread in this Share your work forum.

Here are the links.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/144383-a-serendipitous-artwork/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/144585-another-serendipitous-artwork/

William

• 2 weeks later...

From time to time for over twenty years I have produced artwork and uploaded it to the web, either to my family webspace or to a forum.

It is only recently that I have found that I can get one-off quality matt prints, as if photo greetings cards, at a reasonable price.

I have thus far sent for prints of nine different designs, some recent new designs designed with producing a card in mind and taking the design requirements in mind, and some where I have tried to do the best that I can with what is extant in relation to older designs: for example, the original source files may no longer be available, so I do what I can with an extant image that may be of less resolution than would be best if the source file were still available if the design were originally a vector design.

I have been looking through some old threads and I have thus far found two images of which I would like a hardcopy print suitable for framing.

I am reasonably confident based on experience so far that I can probably get something, but I am trying to think of the way to get the best result.

The first image is from over seven years ago, and is the fantastic one on page 10 of the following thread. There is a graphic and a PDF document. Maybe opening the PDF in Affinity Designer is a good approach to try.

https://community.serif.com/forum/pageplus/13402/art-show-online-in-this-forum

The other one is from a Serif forum thread that I cannot find where images 512 pixels by 512 pixels were produced, each highlighting one font. Fortunately I have the CraftArtist 2.0 source file for that image and it appears to be a vector design.

I know that both Alfred and I posted in that thread.

William

18 hours ago, William Overington said:

The other one is from a Serif forum thread that I cannot find where images 512 pixels by 512 pixels were produced, each highlighting one font. Fortunately I have the CraftArtist 2.0 source file for that image and it appears to be a vector design.

I have just exported this image from CraftArtist 2.0 as a png file 1024 pixels by 1024 pixels.

1740803231_Sonnet_to_aRenaissance_Lady1024.png.bc5bc8b1573a9a7d9e8267101b0136d0.png

It is supposedly 85 pixels per inch, but I don't think that that will matter, it is the pixels that will be relevant as I am intending to paste it into a larger area and then export all of it as a jpg file at 300 dots per inch.

It all seems a bit hairy, but ultimately if it prints to hardcopy at Papier that will be fine.

The original png was 512 pixels by 512 pixels.

I made this new export file as 1024 pixels b 1024 pixels.

The idea is to paste it into a blank Affinity Designer document that is 2171 pixels wide by 1571 pixels high then centre it both horizontally and vertically.

As the image is square I could use it to produce either a landscape format greetings card or a portrait format greetings card. I am choosing landscape as that means that I could produce another card similar to the one that I produced for the Gallery font showing the glyphs of the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font, and then frame the two cards together in one A4 frame so that the frame could be displayed portrait style with the two landscape greeting cards arranged per pale within the frame, with this colourful one at the upper position.

William

The first image is from over seven years ago, and is the fantastic one on page 10 of the following thread. There is a graphic and a PDF document. Maybe opening the PDF in Affinity Designer is a good approach to try.

https://community.serif.com/forum/pageplus/13402/art-show-online-in-this-forum

It probably won’t come as a huge surprise to learn that page 10 of the thread is here:

https://community.serif.com/forum/pageplus/13402/art-show-online-in-this-forum?page=10

The other one is from a Serif forum thread that I cannot find where images 512 pixels by 512 pixels were produced, each highlighting one font.

CraftArtist Fonts Scrapbook

18 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The idea is to paste it into a blank Affinity Designer document that is 2171 pixels wide by 1571 pixels high then centre it both horizontally and vertically.

You might want to make sure to avoid potential artefacts by rounding up each of the dimensions to the next even number so that your 1024 px design is aligned to the pixel grid.

Alfred spacer.png