You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

when I select a brush it becomes highlighted in blue
when I adjust the brush the highlight disappears
Is that meant to happen?
Is there a way around?
Any tips appreciated
second question -- I'm sure I have done it ---but how do you move a brush category from the bottom to top of list ?
I have no idea how you big uses of different brushes can keep track of them . That's why I have and use just a few; mostly hard or soft round like in my faithful old Lr 5
answer with link only is Ok by me 
2nd photo > how it finished for now 
Cheers -- Keep safe

affinity BRUSHES ss.jpg

The boss's ute  26 02  047-1 w.jpg

5 hours ago, ianrb said:

when I adjust the brush the highlight disappears

That is (annoyingly!) because it is just a list of brush presets, so as soon as you change any of its properties it is no longer the same brush preset. So for example if the preset's width is 20px & you change it even a tiny amount (like to 20.02px) it is no longer the same preset.

Many users have complained about this, hoping for a complete overhaul of the brush system.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

a complete overhaul of the brush system.

+1 from me.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

That is (annoyingly!) because it is just a list of brush presets, so as soon as you change any of its properties it is no longer the same brush preset. So for example if the preset's width is 20px & you change it even a tiny amount (like to 20.02px) it is no longer the same preset.

Many users have complained about this, hoping for a complete overhaul of the brush system.

Thank you ; good to know it's not only me having brush frustrations . So  I will need to stay with my set of around 6 brushes for a while longer just when I was getting excited about brushes. :)

16 hours ago, firstdefence said:

+1 from me.

I agree with you there --- I keep thinking there will be a big "need to pay for" upgrade sometime this year 
The last two upgrades haven't had much in there for me :( 

7 hours ago, ianrb said:

I agree with you there --- I keep thinking there will be a big "need to pay for" upgrade sometime this year 
The last two upgrades haven't had much in there for me :( 

Yup, Lots of fixes at the moment, one step forward half a step back. 

Make a category for the duplicate brushes you make and edit, rename the new category to "Ians Epic Brush Set" lol!. If you want to edit a brush think duplicate first, then edit the duplicate brush, this way you keep the original (base brush) and can mess around with the duplicate to your hearts content. Once you have the brush as you want it, you can right-click and move it to the category you made earlier.

Don't forget to periodically export that category for backup purposes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Make a category for the duplicate brushes you make and edit, rename the new category to "Ians Epic Brush Set" lol!. If you want to edit a brush think duplicate first, then edit the duplicate brush, this way you keep the original (base brush) and can mess around with the duplicate to your hearts content. 

One problem with this is every time you change a brush property on the fly while using it (like with the keyboard shortcut to change its width) it becomes a different brush, so it is no longer the duplicate you started with. To get back to that brush, you have to click on it again in the category list, but since it is no longer highlighted (because it no longer matches every property of that preset) you still have to remember which one it was.

A possible if not very elegant solution for this might be to keep the brush preset partially highlighted (maybe like with a vertical bar on the left or some such) after it has been modified so there is at least some visual indication of that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The newest Beta for Photo on Mac (v. 1.9.2.227) has included "Sort by Name" for the Brushes Panel.   It works!!!   This won't help with changing things within a category, or moving a single category somewhere within the entire list, but alphabetical order is a huge start!!   😄

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 1 year later...