You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.9 hangs when batch converting CR2 files to JPG

Alex_M

Affinity Photo 1.9 hangs when I try to batch convert more than 3-4 CR2 files to JPG at a time. The circles just keep spinning forever. RAM usage also jumps through the roof - 16 gigs (I have 64 gigs so this should be fine). Photo processes them fine if I do only 2-3 CR2 images at a time. Unfortunately, I have to batch convert hundreds of CR2 files to JPG and this is going to take lots of time by the looks of it.

See screenshot below.

affinity_photo_1.9_CR2_batch_process_problem.thumb.png.82f4bb8dd3c5f0f64805988dea20325b.png

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

It is set to 32768 mb.

BTW, does Photo really need tens of gigabytes of RAM to process ~15 RAW images weighing 400mb in total? Is this normal?

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I have not had any hanging while batch converting CR2 files to jpg. I converted various numbers up to 15. I had task manager running during this, and noticed my Memory usage did climb to around 12,000+ MB, CPU of course at %100, GPU only around %4.

Knowing this would be very heavy task for my old machine, I done the following before running the batches.

• Disabled from the internet
  • Disabled my anti-virus
  • Disabled UAC

I tried both saving the converted files to the same drive as the CR2 files, and to an USB external drive. I also ran them with and without Parallel Processing enabled.

*My video card Nvidia GTX 645 does not qualify for the OpenCL so it was not enabled. *

Just a side note; I learned years ago, while I was a moderator and then Administrator for Corel (originally Ulead) help forums, to set up a profile to edit videos using their programs, Ulead MediaStudio Pro, and VideoStudio. I learned this from a college, where the profile would have the bare minimum services running. Might ask why do that? To get the job done, without having hanging and crashing,= fewer headaches. Some tasks ask a lot of a computer, sometimes I think, more than what we think they're capable of.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 4 months later...

Windows 10 x64
i7-6700 @ 4.00Ghz (4 cores / 8 processors)
16GB Ram (high speed gaming)
Affinity Photo v1.10.1

Same issue with crashing while batch converting several CR2 files to JPEG (or really any exported format). While monitoring the conversion process, I noticed the CPU spiked and maxed out, as well as RAM through the roof.

The underlying issue is Affinity Photo is defaulting to "parallel processing" (small checkbox in the lower left of the batch convert UI) and the code is not correctly managing the parallel process.

Once I disabled "parallel processing", the conversion process completed without error. And actually converted as fast, if not faster than parallel processing when testing with small batches, re: small batches of 5 or so images did not crash the system.

I haven't tested this theory (and not going to; Affinity needs to do their own testing), but I suspect a batch process with more images than processors available, or some multiple of cores/processors) is the culprit in the code base.

Cheers!