You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Afinity Photo and Designer 1.9 problems

I downloaded and updated from 1.8 to 1.9 for both Photo and Designer. They both appeared to install okay.  However when I try and open each app all I get is the splash screen for a few seconds and it closes and returns to the desktop. Never had any issues with 1.8.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Hi and welcome!

You didn't tell for which platform, Mac or Windows? - However in the forums beta software section (see here), you can find some actual beta releases for both platforms which already addressed and fixed the one or other possible issue, take a look there to get an overview.

Other than that (using a beta version in the meantime), you will have to wait until official v.1.9.1 releases appear, which should then hopefully fix all those issues.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi,

Updated to Affinity 1.9.0932 last week. Download went well with no issues.However I tried using Affinity Photo yesterday and today and after a while I got a BSOD." "thread stuck in device driver" I have updated the BIOS and graphics drivers as has been suggested.Opened it later on this morning and again after a minute or two the bsod. haapened.This problem has only appeared since the update!! Any one else have the same issue? Can Affinity be rolled back if neccessary or are there any fixes available soon? 

Windows 10 64 bit.

HP Zbook 15 u G6

1TB SSD

32GB RAM

20210214_142401.jpg

Edited by Bomber

While I don't have a BSOD affinity crashing on splash with version 1.9 is all over the forum. If you search for it you will find links to beta versions that will most likely fix it for you.

Windows 10, Affinity Designer + Photo (Graphic Design, photo-editing).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, v_kyr said:

Hi and welcome!

You didn't tell for which platform, Mac or Windows? - However in the forums beta software section (see here), you can find some actual beta releases for both platforms which already addressed and fixed the one or other possible issue, take a look there to get an overview.

Other than that (using a beta version in the meantime), you will have to wait until official v.1.9.1 releases appear, which should then hopefully fix all those issues.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I am using Windows 10 on a Dell XPS15.  I have downloaded a beta version 1.9.1.979 and I am getting the same problem.  All I can get is the initial splash screen and then it closes down back to the Desktop.  Previous versions have worked without a hitch.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:35 PM, v_kyr said:

Hi and welcome!

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I am using Windows 10 on a Dell XPS15.  I have downloaded a beta version 1.9.1.979 and I am getting the same problem.  All I can get is the initial splash screen and then it closes down back to the Desktop.  Previous versions have worked without a hitch.

19 minutes ago, TonyKing said:

Hmm, there is the release v1.9.1 now available, which fixed some previous beta version issues.

Further if it still crashes immediately, it can be due to the default hardware acceleration setting and OpenCL GPU driver related. In case the problem is really due to OpenCL hardware acceleration and thus some problem with your installed GPU driver, you can try to disable that setting before starting the Affinity app. Either try out this tool here (but only for the v1.9.1 release versions since it does not search after beta versions), which can show and tell if OpenCL hardware acceleration is as default enabled or not, if it's enabled it can alter the setting and disable it from outside without starting an Affinity app (if clicking on an appropriate top image button). - Or you can try to alter that setting manualy (see here).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing the thread stuck in device driver BSOD.

It happens in designer. I can open designer and draw. It tents to happen when I have quite a few nodes, or when I am adding an effect.

My laptop is dell 5567 

I have tried updating graphics drivers from dell, and ten from intel. 

Two thinks happen prior to this error.

1)I had a new ssd professional installed

2)I updated to 1.9.1.979

It has not happened in my other graphics programs... clipstudio & inkscape

I was considering taking my laptop back to the place that installed the ssd, but now I am wondering if it is a affinity problem.

I have saved the mini dump files, but do not know how to read them. Are others experiencing this?

Thank you.

On 3/11/2021 at 2:10 PM, Altius said:

I am also experiencing the thread stuck in device driver BSOD.

It happens in designer. I can open designer and draw. It tents to happen when I have quite a few nodes, or when I am adding an effect.

My laptop is dell 5567 

I have tried updating graphics drivers from dell, and ten from intel. 

Two thinks happen prior to this error.

1)I had a new ssd professional installed

2)I updated to 1.9.1.979

It has not happened in my other graphics programs... clipstudio & inkscape

I was considering taking my laptop back to the place that installed the ssd, but now I am wondering if it is a affinity problem.

I have saved the mini dump files, but do not know how to read them. Are others experiencing this?

Thank you.

I seem to have fixed this for my laptop. I turned off hardware acceleration and had no trouble today. 

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem with Designer (1.10.xx.) I get the BSOD after a few hours without entering anything into the programme. I have no problems during the editing process. I'm using an ASUS Workstation with the newest drivers.

Thank you!

Hello @M.Hildt and welcome to the forums.

A BSOD indicates that there is a faulty driver, a hardware defect/missconfiguration or can be triggerd by a third-party app.

To investigate the BSOD the error code is needed. All the hardware can also be helpful.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!