You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.9 Slow with OpenCL enabled

zBernie

After updating to AF 1.9.0.932 everything is much slower, from drawing to opening projects.  I read another thread which suggested to disable OpenCL compute and when I disable this new feature, AF is much more responsive.   Opening an .afphoto project with OpenCL enabled results in a blank canvas being displayed for 10-15 seconds.  With OpenCL disabled the same projects are displayed in about 6 seconds.  I found this slowness on both my laptop and HP Pavillion desktop.  Both are using NVIDIA video cards, which are shown below on Windows 10.

Let me know if any additional information would be useful...

17" Laptop:

image.png.2a502c3cc7d8c30cda0773af938099d9.png

HP Pavillion:

image.png.6bcb9fa05e9534dd7db4e463d6aca497.png

8 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

They have 2 types of drivers, Studio Drivers (optimised for creative applications, like Affinity Photo), and Game Ready drivers.

Okay, I downloaded the driver and utilities file listed below for both my laptop and HP Pavillion.  Oddly, it was the same file even though I selected different download parameters.  I ran the NVIDIA installation program and opted to have the old driver removed.   The driver on both laptop and Pavillion were updated to the version show in the screen capture below.

The results were similar on both computers, i.e., there was a slight improvement in performance, but performance is still better with the OpenCL option unchecked.  One way I tested was to open a fairly complex .afphoto project which takes 16 seconds to load with OpenCL checked.  Then uncheck OpenCL, restarted AF, and then it would take about 6 seconds to load the same project.   Similar results were obtained with other .afphoto projects as well.  Note that I enabled/disabled OpenCL several times and compared the results.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.  I was formerly a Software Engineer and most recently a Systems Engineer III.  And a huge Affinity Photo fan!  :)

NVIDIA Driver:
461.40-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

image.png.28b5c34b78967fe6f14ef50d14c42a74.png

7 hours ago, zBernie said:

Okay, I downloaded the driver and utilities file listed below for both my laptop and HP Pavillion.  Oddly, it was the same file even though I selected different download parameters.  I ran the NVIDIA installation program and opted to have the old driver removed.   The driver on both laptop and Pavillion were updated to the version show in the screen capture below.

The results were similar on both computers, i.e., there was a slight improvement in performance, but performance is still better with the OpenCL option unchecked.  One way I tested was to open a fairly complex .afphoto project which takes 16 seconds to load with OpenCL checked.  Then uncheck OpenCL, restarted AF, and then it would take about 6 seconds to load the same project.   Similar results were obtained with other .afphoto projects as well.  Note that I enabled/disabled OpenCL several times and compared the results.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.  I was formerly a Software Engineer and most recently a Systems Engineer III.  And a huge Affinity Photo fan!  :)

NVIDIA Driver:
461.40-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

image.png.28b5c34b78967fe6f14ef50d14c42a74.png

Thanks - you've now got the same driver version installed that I have here. It's a shame that the performance isn't improved when using hardware acceleration. 

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks - you've now got the same driver version installed that I have here. It's a shame that the performance isn't improved when using hardware acceleration. 

I haven't found it to be an issue, at least not with any of my projects.  I just keep OpenCL unchecked.  Part of the problem may be that my computers they are over 4 years old.  Ancient in computer time!  :)

Thanks for your help with this.

Came here looking to see if others were having the same problem. Glad to see not just me. Affinity Photo is laggy with the OpenCL option enabled. Using something like the clone brush tool, the image update lags behind the brush cursor. I have turned off OpenCL acceleration. It's not a big deal, the program was plenty responsive enough before the option, so I just disabled it on my Windows installs. But it was the only reason I upgraded to version 1.9 (and went through the Windows updates to get the new feature available).

Computer #1
Laptop with i7-10657 + Intel Iris Plus Graphics

Computer #2
Desktop with Ryzen 1700 + AMD RX460

I'm perfectly happy with the performance with the option turned off, but just wanted to add more data points.

12 hours ago, westrock2000 said:

I'm perfectly happy with the performance with the option turned off

@westrock2000

Hardware Acceleration is a bit buggy for some PC configurations at the moment but keep an eye out for beta and patch releases as they are improving it all the time - so you may be able to switch it back on in the near future

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

@westrock2000

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and indeed thank you for your input on this subject. The beta that Carl was referring to is linked to here 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue, on the main release and the beta, no problemss with 1.8.

Dissabling OpenCL solves the problem. No problem in designer or publisher.

Latest NVIDIA drivers, also tried re-installing them.

Most annoyingly it stops the dvevlop window working and stops some files from saving!

Seems to be raster related?

Edited by cooltrooper
Added detail

12 hours ago, cooltrooper said:

I have a similar issue, on the main release and the beta, no problemss with 1.8.

Dissabling OpenCL solves the problem. No problem in designer or publisher.

Latest NVIDIA drivers, also tried re-installing them.

Most annoyingly it stops the dvevlop window working and stops some files from saving!

Seems to be raster related?

What GPU do you have?

[DXCore] Found 3 adapters
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
	Version: 27.21.14.6172
	IsHardware: Yes
	Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C8D&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
	LUID: 0x1458E35
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
	Version: 10.0.19041.546
	IsHardware: No