You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping Enhancement

ronnyb

Hi, it would be great to have the option to snap to locked objects as well as hidden objects, as is currently available.

Thanks for your consideration

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Hi Ronny,

currently Affinity Designer does indeed snap to locked objects, but the strange thing is, you cannot get locked objects on the snapping candidates list, once they were pushed off the list by adding new objects …

Here’s a little test: Open the attached file, turn on “Show snapping candidates”, and hover over the six bright grey squares to put them on the snapping candidates list. Now try to put one of the darker ones (they are locked) on the list by hovering over it. Impossible. Now lock the out-of-the-row square (which is still a snapping candidate … and its position does not give false results for the following test), and try to snap one of the other ones to it … this does work.

All in all, I believe we rather should request the option to put locked objects on the snapping candidates list …

What do you think? Alex  :)

Locked_Out.afdesign

That makes sense, I couldn't figure out why sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't... Yes I like what you are saying as well. I also wouldn't mind the ability to treat Groups of objects (including all objects inside the group) as a single snapping candidate... I noticed the limits of this when I was playing around with the mobile web template someone had uploaded and I believe it was you who modified and added guides to enable the snapping behavior that we can't really do now...

I'm looking forward to seeing what the guys come up with, as Snapping improvements are definitely on their radar...

Hi Ronny,

currently Affinity Designer does indeed snap to locked objects, but the strange thing is, you cannot get locked objects on the snapping candidates list, once they were pushed off the list by adding new objects …

Here’s a little test: Open the attached file, turn on “Show snapping candidates”, and hover over the six bright grey squares to put them on the snapping candidates list. Now try to put one of the darker ones (they are locked) on the list by hovering over it. Impossible. Now lock the out-of-the-row square (which is still a snapping candidate … and its position does not give false results for the following test), and try to snap one of the other ones to it … this does work.

All in all, I believe we rather should request the option to put locked objects on the snapping candidates list …

What do you think? Alex  :)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

So that's why sometimes I can't get certain objects to become a candidate.  Next time I run into this problem I shall need to check the lock status.  Thanks Alex.  I frequently use the lock to signal that I am done with an operation that I am doing to many layers.  Sort of a place mark.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi Ronny,

Hi A_B_C, ronnyb,

This is a known bug that's already logged but wasn't fixed yet. I believe the improvements Ben is working on here will solve those issues.

• Staff

It's on the list.... and the list is long.  ;)

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB