Hi,

Added support for Open Asset
Can there be a explanation as to what it is and how to use it.
It seems to be a cloud service only for companies and no pricing unless asking for a quote.
Also why support for a subscription modelled service when most Serif users want to get away from it?
Is this an affiliate/sponsor to Serif of some kind?
Will this even work?
Because the common cloud services(one drive/google drive/dropbox) are not recommended to be used with affinity programs due to corrupting files when working on cloud stored files.
It's also marketed as a DAM. does this mean Serif dropped the development of creating a DAM of their own?

@haakoo read my mind. Creepy.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

This is not our DAM, think of it as a company specific stock panel. Our Corp sales team are reaching out to larger companies to get them to use Affinity in their workflow. Some already use OpenAsset as their centralised image database and would not consider using any software that does not have OpenAsset support, so now we support OpenAsset and our pitch may be more successful. 

If OpenAsset is not something that you have come across before, there is a good chance this feature is not going to be relevant to your use of the software.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

Only developers can answer this I guess: Is it better for debugging / development / maintenance to have such very specific feature in a way of an addon or part of the software package? I am pretty sure I am not going to use OpenAsset ever, so another preference / part to ignore.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

23 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Only developers can answer this I guess: Is it better for debugging / development / maintenance to have such very specific feature in a way of an addon or part of the software package? I am pretty sure I am not going to use OpenAsset ever, so another preference / part to ignore.

Not only that but makes me wonder and not answered by @Patrick Connor , why mainstream cloud is not developed/supported first, over, indeed, such a specific service?
What's next ; We're just beta testers and afterwards up the price or make it subscription? Serif becoming SAAS?
(rather they take the money from linux crowdfunding if money is that much of an issue)

17 minutes ago, haakoo said:

if money is that much of an issue

In all fairness, Serif have been providing updates to all their apps for quite a while now, without charging existing customers for them. They are obviously in business to make money, so their main income comes (I assume) from new sales to new customers. I can see that adding a feature that will, hopefully, increase sales to a specific sector can only be good for existing users, as it provides income so that Serif can continue to develop the Affinity range.

The question is not about money but about selling out to specific services that want it to be added so some real estate companies may or may not use affinity in their workflow?
That seems to be the case here and is maybe due to the lack of money, don't you think?
The support for OpenAsset is not an issue for me either but why is it stated in a beta release note when beta's are not to be used in production fase?
They could have just marketed when 1.9 is released  or only to that specific user base.
Now it just is a strange addition to affinity

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

If OpenAsset is not something that you have come across before, there is a good chance this feature is not going to be relevant to your use of the software.

Serif can certainly add a feature intended for larger commercial customers.

And they would need to include it in the beta to ensure that the application continues to work.

And if they include it, they need to announce it in case some user discovers it and wonders what it is.

So what's the problem?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.900 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.900 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.887 Beta.