You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

when version 2 of affinity products release will I get a discount on the upgrade

when version 2 of affinity products release will I get a discount on the upgrade and if so will the discount include the AppStore version?

should I buy affinity on the app store or online? 

and what is the difference?

thank you

Edited by `a.m.a

a.m.a -  I have responded to your other question in the Forum : Customer Service, Accounts . . . just now.  I understand that version 2 will not be "an upgrade" but a new product.  In the past Affinity has offered special discounts on several occasions.  Whether they will for version 2 is surely a premature question, but if I were a betting person, I would think that current owners of the three apps would probably receive a limited time offer.  Meanwhile, the apparent difference between buying from the app store (either Microsoft or Apple) or online directly from Affinity (which I have done) is the ease of updating.   If purchased directly from Affinity, one automatically receives notices of available updates.  One also has a permanent record of all purchases, and Product Keys, which makes it much easier to download again, if installing one of the apps on a second device (using identical operating systems).  I gather that buying from either app store requires one to check for updates.   Probably an oversimplification.   I hope this helps you!  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, `a.m.a said:

when version 2 of affinity products release will I get a discount on the upgrade and if so will the discount include the AppStore version?

should I buy affinity on the app store or online? 

and what is the difference?

thank you

When will version 2 be out? Who knows. Could be a week could be a couple of years.

If I were in your position I would ask myself the question: Am I willing to pay twice in a short time? It really depends on what the new features are (no one knows what they will be). Over the years I have learned that sometimes it is worthwhile paying twice and sometimes it is not. Sorry that it doesn't answer your question. 

Do the current features offer what you need? If yes then buy the current version, upgrade when you can afford it and need it. Don't count on a discount, be prepared to have to pay full price when you do the calculation.

App Store or from Serif, it is the same price and with the App store version you can easily just sign in and load it onto your new computer, with Serif Store you have to look up your log in details and retrieve your key(s). Pretty much six of one and a half dozen of the other in my experience. The big difference is that Serif gets more of my money from their own store, I figure that is something to help them with continuing to develop the software.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you buy from Serif you don't need to deal with Apple if the App Store isn't showing the update or if it refuses to download the program. You also don't have to worry about sandboxing restrictions that Apple might apply to the application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

When will version 2 be out? Who knows

I know exactly that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Don't count on a discount, be prepared to have to pay full price when you do the calculation.

When releasing a new product or a new version, there were always discounts (for all customers, existing users were never given any benefits). Or you can wait for Black Friday when the price is so important.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I missed the previous sale and actually just had the time to learn more about Affinity Designer this year when I decided to finally replace my old Adobe Illustrator. It would be great if there will be a more aggressive sales marketing that offer various kinds of promo for different types of users/customers ala Reallusion. There can be a discount offer for upgrades, to those who managed to try out the software, and the usual seasonal promos. 🙂

25 minutes ago, RendCycle said:

more aggressive sales marketing that offer various kinds of promo for different types of users/customers

With the current prices of Affinity applications, the "aggressiveness" of discounts and promotions is definitely necessary. Maybe they could pay us to use their products 😵

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 hours ago, Pšenda said:

With the current prices of Affinity applications, the "aggressiveness" of discounts and promotions is definitely necessary. Maybe they could pay us to use their products 😵

Nah, that would be a big negative to the company. 😁  I think most people now prefer using paid software compared to free and/or open source out of fear of spyware and such. But offering more options  (i.e. promos) will probably reach more types of people and potential users if that is one of the business objective of Serif... Seeing their product seems to be positioned to go against a subscription-based (elitist-like) business model similar to what Adobe has. Aside from now having more customers that can afford the product, there are other ways to earn more from maybe offering additional plug-ins and/or getting commissions from a "content store" for users (similar to Unity Asset Store or Reallusion's Marketplace). Not sure if Serif already has one since I'm new and still planning to get Affinity Designer.  More users of the productivity software should equate to more customers also buying from the content store... 😉

Edited by RendCycle