You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug in affinity publisher on mac

I think we'll probably need more information on the problem. Can you provide more details, or a screenshot or video to demonstrate the problem and help us understand what you're seeing?

Also, what do you mean by "device was worked on"?

Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1565417242_templatefilepath1.jpeg.1e0ef4cb8d9f2d2bcfb19190135a1750.jpeg

csikwuamaesi, it seems you have an object selected with the file type ".scriv". This is no Affinity document and so it shows no content or preview.

Also I wonder if this object is in a backup of your mac, at least it is stored in your User > Library folder. If you really want to get access to a file of a backup you better copy the file first from the Library folder to your Documents folder, possibly using the macOS TimeMachine.app.

12 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

You can click "Remove Folder" for anything that is in your templates storage that shouldn't be there.

1406227778_templatefilepath2delete.jpg.af99226c0d802ceb262004312481c46f.jpg

SpaceBar, here the button labeled "Delete" (instead e.g. "Remove") can mislead or frighten mac users, in particular with the additional note of being not undoable. In the macOS file system a delete action deletes a selected object from the entire file system, either to the trash folder first, or, if it's not undoable, directly and without using the trash.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi @thomaso That isn't a macOS dialog that's open so delete does makes sense and is used in other areas of the app. But I do take your point and will keep it in mind.

@csikwuamaesi For information on creating templates if you are unfamiliar - it's always worth taking a look at the tutorials before delving in:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/390694376/ - The tutorial gives you good workflow tips with managing your templates in a folder before adding them to the templates area of the new document dialog.

34 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

That isn't a macOS dialog that's open so delete does makes sense and is used in other areas of the app.

I am aware this is an Affinity dialog – but since the left column (where the user selects an item) reflects the macOS Finder's structure of folders & files so the "Delete" command for a selected item may get misunderstood here.

(Theoretically it would be possible from an Affinity dialog to delete files, like it is for instance from a DAM app where you get asked once you delete an image whether it should get deleted from the DAM catalog only or deleted entirely from disk.)

Thank's for the tutorial link. I am not using templates yet, I just noticed this button when I tried to reproduce what the OP showed in their screenshot, so possibly the command might irritate them, too. Anyway, it strikes me as strange that the question in this dialog uses the verb "remove" but the confirmation button says "delete", as if it makes purposely a difference. I wouldn't mind if it wouldn't refer to the computers file system AND wouldn't warn to be not undoable (... though, actually, it simply can get added again after being removed).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Perhaps the dialog could be reworded to say something like "If you would like to remove this folder from Publisher's listing of Template Folders (actual folder will not be deleted from the system), ..."

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@thomaso The tutorial link is actually for the OP - (I have now tagged them in to that part of my post) we have be mindful that this post is for the issue that they are experiencing. It is clear there has been some confusion when adding folders to this area so the tutorial may clear up the process they need to take in future and shed some light on where they went wrong.

This is what my template area looks like and if you look to the right of the template area I have placed the folder that I keep the template files in - on my desktop. The folders on the left are simply shortcuts that are created when you click "Add folder" as you can see from the folder path. When I Remove / Delete I delete this link but the folder remains on the desktop as before - see video.

templates-folder-link.png