You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is a "-200 ERROR" when uploading a video?

Many times, when uploading a video, I get a box with a thoroughly descriptive reason as to why the video is not accepted IE: - 200, and that is all I see.  I am assuming it has something to do with the exstension file type but can not find out what extnsions are accepted by the affinity forum.  The size of the videos are well below what is allowed that I can see.  Sorry I have to ask this, but that box really does not say anything that is descriptive.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Months ago it started to happen more and more to me (it got worse after a forum software update). Meanwhile I convert videos via VLC to .m4v (from macOS default .mov) and run ImageOptim for .jpgs before upload. Both seems to avoid the error.
(For faster access to the VLC convert option I created a mac Automator workflow script. I guess ImageOptim appeared by itself via right-click in "Services")

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

Meanwhile I convert videos via VLC to .m4v

Thanks thomaso, I have VLC player but only use it for the very basics now and again.  I tried converting a 30 second screen video into mp4 for practise, but got silly error messages that just contradicted the "bleedin' obvious" as Basil Faulty (John Cleese) once said - really have no energy or time to start delving into the world of video technology so I will leave it and continue with the good old fashioned reliable GIFs.  But nice to know it wasn't me.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

MP4 videos can (usually) be watched by anyone and I’ve had no problems (so far) uploading Full HD MP4s that are a few minutes long.
Can your screen recording software record to MP4 directly? If it can then that will probably help.

Hallo Garry, No, it simply says Video, and then saves it as AVI.  I have choices of compressions and Ffmpeg, but have absolutely no clue as to anything about what they mean, I have to say I avoid video technicalities all together so I simply accept whatever defaults there are.

Which screen recording software are you using?
There’s probably someone in the forums (probably not me) who can help you to set it up so you don’t have further hassle.
Obviously this isn’t directly related to the Affinity products but if it helps people to make screen recordings for tutorials and the like then it’s reasonably related.
You might want to create a new thread under the title of “How do I set-up <this software> to create tutorial videos for this site” (or something like that), so other people can find it easier.

16 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

converting a 30 second screen video into mp4 for practise, but got silly error messages

Did you try with a .mov, or an .avi when it failed? (What screenrecord app are you using?)

I saved this VLC setting as profile (and get impressive small results compared to the input QuickTime.mov files). Note I haven't done any video setting besides the codec selection "H.264".

1272304526_VLC1.jpg.872270700bf1efeba283efe856490554.jpg

332706863_VLC2.jpg.054682fd8e8791162d7460ba70d9fda5.jpg

When watching a screen-record I often want to halt the video at certain points to see details. Unfortunately this can't be done with .GIF and it can be annoying to watch it again and again until I finally was able to see the relevant details.

38 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Which screen recording software are you using?
There’s probably someone in the forums (probably not me) who can help you to set it up so you don’t have further hassle.
Obviously this isn’t directly related to the Affinity products but if it helps people to make screen recordings for tutorials and the like then it’s reasonably related.
You might want to create a new thread under the title of “How do I set-up <this software> to create tutorial videos for this site” (or something like that), so other people can find it easier.

"Screen to Gif" which has a video option to AVI.  I don't think I will post about this, I have annoyed the forum too much with all my tantrums over masking. Thankyou Garry.

37 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Did you try with a .mov, or an .avi when it failed? (What screenrecord app are you using?)

I saved this VLC setting as profile (and get impressive small results compared to the input QuickTime.mov files). Note I haven't done any video setting besides the codec selection "H.264".

1272304526_VLC1.jpg.872270700bf1efeba283efe856490554.jpg

332706863_VLC2.jpg.054682fd8e8791162d7460ba70d9fda5.jpg

When watching a screen-record I often want to halt the video at certain points to see details. Unfortunately this can't be done with .GIF and it can be annoying to watch it again and again until I finally was able to see the relevant details.

Hallo Thomaso, I have searched my VLC, (windows 10 )but there are absolutely no options like the ones you have shown.  I can not find any options that will tell VLC to output to a specific codec (file extension)?  I do not want to trouble anybody anymore I think it is best to leave to my humble GIFs and forget videos all together, otherwise I will be spending a whole day trying to learn something that is beyond me to be honest.

19 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I can not find any options that will tell VLC to output to a specific codec

Odd if the windows version is that limited, maybe the options are someway hidden in the UI? In Mac it's menu "File" > "Konvert/Stream" and then offers the profile adjustment and save option. Since there are various presets I doubt it's mac-only.

307573213_VLC3.jpg.b8bb880711b309d40a95e41f365ebbd4.jpg

215014098_VLC4.jpg.830e5cd8e1a8d3f2bcdf146e43fe284d.jpg

29 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I think it is best to leave to my humble GIFs and forget videos all together, otherwise I will be spending a whole day trying to learn something that is beyond me to be honest.

As mentioned the GIF version has the disadvantage that the viewing user can't halt/pause the clip to recognize details.

Yes, it took me about 1-2 hours to figure this out in VLC + create the auto-workflow file (mac), but now it needs just two clicks to convert as desired.

24 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Odd if the windows version is that limited, maybe the options are someway hidden in the UI? In Mac it's menu "File" > "Konvert/Stream" and then offers the profile adjustment and save option. Since there are various presets I doubt it's mac-only.

307573213_VLC3.jpg.b8bb880711b309d40a95e41f365ebbd4.jpg

215014098_VLC4.jpg.830e5cd8e1a8d3f2bcdf146e43fe284d.jpg

As mentioned the GIF version has the disadvantage that the viewing user can't halt/pause the clip to recognize details.

Yes, it took me about 1-2 hours to figure this out in VLC + create the auto-workflow file (mac), but now it needs just two clicks to convert as desired.

Hi Thomaso, Luckily I speak Dutch, so am able to read most of your German, anyway I have given you n idea of what I am seeing, maybe you notice something.  I recorded slowly knowing that you can not pause, put it into greyscale to reduce file size.  Maybe you spot something?

Man.gif.3241de0e416a32753e44fac8b5719953.gif

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

MP4 videos can (usually) be watched by anyone

MP4 videos are (usually) H.264 video and MP3 audio, but since MP4 is a container format there are other possible configurations. The free utility MediaInfo will provide detailed information about the video and audio streams in a multimedia file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

26 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I recorded slowly knowing that you can not pause, put it into greyscale to reduce file size.  Maybe you spot something?

Still too fast for my eyes, in particular the detailed codec settings. I needed to download the .gif and go through it picture by picture (of 496), a good example for the disadvantage of .gif as screen record. This UI is indeed confusing and complex, also by mixing chapter titles and their content (e.g. Input Video > encoding settings).

I haven't seen any screen where you choose the output format & codec, possibly it will occur with the "Convert / Save" button (pulldown menu?):

1715235022_vlcwindowsconvert.jpg.41b31cd03d5c3a111125851331680534.jpg

• Staff
14 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Many times, when uploading a video, I get a box with a thoroughly descriptive reason as to why the video is not accepted IE: - 200, and that is all I see.

Usually, a -200 error on the forum upload service means that the image/video is too 'large' in terms of pixel dimensions, for example a 5000px x 6000px image would receive a -200 error, however a 2500px x 3000px error wouldn't.

What are the pixel dimensions of the video file? if you convert this to be a smaller pixel size, or take a new recording with reduced settings here, can this now be uploaded correctly?

FWIW I always use the MP4 format for my screen recordings, generated through OBS :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

14 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Still too fast for my eyes, in particular the detailed codec settings. I needed to download the .gif and go through it picture by picture (of 496), a good example for the disadvantage of .gif as screen record. This UI is indeed confusing and complex, also by mixing chapter titles and their content (e.g. Input Video > encoding settings).

I haven't seen any screen where you choose the output format & codec, possibly it will occur with the "Convert / Save" button (pulldown menu?):

1715235022_vlcwindowsconvert.jpg.41b31cd03d5c3a111125851331680534.jpg

Thanks Thomaso, well you were right, there it is, hidden as usual for windows things, anyway went through the conversion stage, and ended up with this error.  So I think it's best to leave it.  As for OBS studio, if I start something new, I will be at it for hours, something is bound to go wrong.  

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

2500px x 3000px error wouldn't.

...yes, mine have always been lower than this even....it was one of the first things I altered along with colour and frame rate.  Yep everyone is recommending OBS but I simply do not have anough coolant for my brain to tackle that after reading a few reviews.

1 minute ago, Chris26 said:

ended up with this error.  So I think it's best to leave it. 

"Best"? – One more chance is their forum, possibly you'll find your error message quickly if you search different than "silly error messages that just contradicted the "bleedin' obvious" as Basil Faulty (John Cleese) once said". 🤓

https://forum.videolan.org/

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Usually, a -200 error on the forum upload service means that the image/video is too 'large' in terms of pixel dimensions,

There must be more/other parameters causing the -200 error:

I got it with quite small .movs (below 1000 px) and .jpgs (below 200 px, e.g. an UI button only), which first made me assume there would be rather a minimum size of maybe 200 px. But it got more confusing when I noticed that the same file could be uploaded successfully in a different forum's section, or on another day.

• Staff

Thanks for the further information, 

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

There must be more/other parameters causing the -200 error:

I'd be inclined to agree, unfortunately Invision (the software used for this forums) don't have a great description of errors, or how to resolve them. I'll ask our web team to look into this and double check there's nothing we can do on our end :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

38 minutes ago, thomaso said:

"Best"? – One more chance is their forum, possibly you'll find your error message quickly if you search different than "silly error messages that just contradicted the "bleedin' obvious" as Basil Faulty (John Cleese) once said". 🤓

Thankyou Thomaso, but I think I will take the Basil Faulty option = "when you suddenly really need the fire extinguisher the bl**dy thing attacks you, what is the use of a fire extinguisher when it doesn't work"? 

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for the further information, 

I'd be inclined to agree, unfortunately Invision (the software used for this forums) don't have a great description of errors, or how to resolve them. I'll ask our web team to look into this and double check there's nothing we can do on our end :)

See related:

---

The -200 error shows up generally when a PHP error we are unable to capture (such as "out of memory" or "max execution time exceeded") has occurred. PHP ends up exiting and printing out the core PHP error, and the uploader (which is a general open source uploader - we didn't write it) shows the "-200" error as a result.

@Mr 13 this can happen with large animated gifs when using ImageMagick but not GD simply because ImageMagick supports manipulating animated gifs (i.e. to create a thumbnail) and GD does not. Thus, what is probably happening is that ImageMagick is causing an "out of memory" error (manipulating large images is extremely memory intensive), while GD just skips trying to create a thumbnail altogether because it cannot retain animation.

We are happy to investigate if you submit a ticket, but 99% of the time the only real solution is to increase the resources available (remove memory limits, max execution times, etc. - sometimes there are limits in upstream software like Apache or nginx that need to be adjusted as well).

I just wanted to note that we've improved the error message for this error in 4.5, so users at least won't see a mysterious "-200" message when it happens.

---

etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

Just let you know it is solved - finally.  Discovered ffmpeg (no idea what it is even after reading what I could not understand anyway) , Downloaded ffmpeg and put it into Screen to Gif, tested it and now I have my MP4 files.  Thanks.

53 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Just let you know it is solved - finally. 

Oh, you touched it? – Good news!

1350082130_BasilFaultyfirebell.jpg.cc4a1875c71981afda9acbb8f3ec1976.jpg

21 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Usually I would assume that ffmpeg is already an integrated part of ScreenToGif ... (...) v2.27.3 entry there

They write about the importer, not ffmpeg itself. – Possibly it's useful not to embed it in the VLC application, because "ffmpeg" is a 'framework' which can be used by any other video/audio related software, too (and therefore be installed already). (compare: "Soundflower" as framework e.g. used by "Audio HiJack")

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

Possibly it's useful not to embed it in the VLC application

I was talking about ScreenToGif in order to export mp4 not VLC media player.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2