You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Swedish Checkspell in Affinity Publisher

erfarenheit

I was a bit disappointed for not having Swedish language available but a workaround solved it.

All started from this message:

1831160125_Swidishcheckspelling-02.png.63e2a21b172eb9e1b2b89914804abab6.png

so, all it needs is to have a folder named en-SE with some needed files in it:

1) en_SE.aff; 2) en_SE.dic; 3) hiph_se.dic

first two can be found on LibreOffice's Extensions:

992964681_Swidishcheckspelling-03.png.30e75a7d282d89e2f6b10ec1fe7cb543.png

The third one was on the Github:

141486212_Swidishcheckspelling-04.png.f2b538c366cbd8d7b3063d8d35fda619.png

It took me a while to figure out that *.oxt is an archive format. I have extracted the files and renamed them from sv_SE.aff  to

en_SE.aff and the sv_SE.dic to en_SE then hyph_sv_SE.dic to hyph_en_SE.dic. I have created the folder by making a copy of the en_GB and pasted the three new files then deleted the old ones.

I have opened my document again, and checked if the language English (Sweden) is there. YES!

1334544940_Swidishcheckspelling-06.png.d49785f3fcfcc4729fc991fca4a2dbcd.png

TA-DAAAA! Look at this:

1295498261_Swidishcheckspelling-07.png.535367fdca4562354a296c09d716420a.png

I have always been amazed of the English they speak in Sweden! :))

P.S. I still hope for a sv_SE true version!

Swidish checkspelling-01.png

Swidish checkspelling-05.png

2 hours ago, Callum said:

Thank you for posting your solution hopefully it helps more Swedish users of Publisher in the future.

But note that the OP's text was Swedish, which should have been shown as "sv-SE", not the incorrect "en-SE" which Publisher used. Has there been any progress in resolving that underlying issue, which seems to affect a subset of Affinity users in various languages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, Walt!

... Actually, the correct form is the original file's name: sv_SE (svenska - SverigE), to distinguish it from sv_FI (svenska - FInland). I went even further. I thought I'll be able to implement the Swedish version on my own, but there's been too much work to tweak it. Half of this solution I've got it from one of your older postings. I'm grateful to you!
The torment of going back to working in Office (Libre, Open or Microsoft) was too unbearable. I had to patch it!

Edited by erfarenheit
Too fast to publish it

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish I could fix this on my iMac - cant understand how to install the Swedish files on my Mac system so I can spellcheck in Swedish..

Why cant we at least have an option that says "Ignore Spelling globally in document"?

Im imported an Swedish PDF today with 20 pages with different testboxes - with a lot red strikes underneath the Swedish text - I wish that I could ignore they with just one button... Hmmm...

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

13 minutes ago, erfarenheit said:

Mine looks like this, and there's no Swedish in the list:

You are looking at the list of languages for the User Interface.

This topic that you started is about the languages for SpellChecking, which is a different list. And that's what WideCircle was posting about. For SpellChecking you need to look at the language list in the Character panel in the studio.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi, Walt.

You are right, but...

... it looks that interface language and the check spelling language are connected. As you can see in the very first screenshot, I had English selected as interface language and check speller said I need English - Sweden to be installed.
I've made a trick by duplicating a language folder and rename it as Swedish, as interface option, which allowed me further to have check spelling sv-SE and sv-FI with the proper naming.
My conclusion? They are connected!

They are somewhat connected, but not (perhaps) as you think.

First, the user interface language is the default spelling language, which for you would have made English the default spelling language. So that is a connection.

However, en-SE makes no sense. There's something going on there, perhaps a bug, where the specified language and the system's region settings are interacting to result in an unknown and invalid language combination.

-- Walt
PC:

It's good to have someone to question you.

I've gone that far and reinstalled the whole program and placed in the list of dictionaries (C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\Resources\Dictionaries) a folder named sv-SE, and guess what!

Newbie means "learning in the hard way" for sure.

Here's a shortcut:

sv-SE.zip

image.png.9387d0b29359847d2833398735177bb9.png

• 3 months later...

@erfarenheit

I think your problem was that you have used the wrong settings for your textboxes (not that the dictionary was missing)

I had the same issue as you until I figured out (actually in this post) that my settings where off.

@WideCircle had the answer all along, (I saw the Language text box setting and figured I check that) Thanks!

This was my default textbox setting. See the (en-SE) dictionary that its looking for?

1231926118_Screenshot2021-02-24at13_14_39.png.f94e89ac4f49dd96030ea38b478e68b6.png

Change the spelling to Svenska and your problems are gone.

Posting here because I went the route of downloading dictionaries, settings etc etc, but the issue was the settings, so maybe someone else can be helped with this.

Have a nice day!