You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A. Publisher-Can I increase the overall brightness of the document?

Hi,

I have a completed brochure and received the proof print.
It's all set up in CMYK, but the proof print turned out a tad to dark.
It was based on a Pdf which I exported from A. Publisher.

Before adjusting each image separately, I wonder if there is an easy way to just increase the overall brightness of the document?
Or the overall brightness of the exported Pdf, before sending it again for the final print?

I do not have/or use Adobe Acrobat.
I do own also A. Photo & A. Designer.

Thanks, Franzi

17 hours ago, Franzi von Fragenfeld said:

I wonder if there is an easy way to just increase the overall brightness of the document?

Yes, there is a way, but perhaps you get other problems by increasing the overall brightness? Perhaps you should tackle the problem of a too dark print?

You can add a Brightness / Contrast adjustment on top of each page, BUT then everything will be rasterised on the page. To avoid this, the adjustment layer should be under the text and above the images. Not sure if this is always possible.

Perhaps someone has a better solution?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Joachim
Thanks, I ended up adjusting the images, but I will experiment with the brightness adjustment for future documents. Thanks.

@Fixx
Thanks, but unfortunately this is not an option as the printing service specifies which color profile is to be used...

@anyone else
Please keep other ideas coming.

Thanks.

20 hours ago, Franzi von Fragenfeld said:

Before adjusting each image separately, I wonder if there is an easy way to just increase the overall brightness of the document

My personal method for tweaking (Not harsh adjustments), is to apply a Curves layer to the image, adjust the Midtones upwards gently and set to luminosity mode.  Brightness adjustments are quite cruel and can change colours, the curves set to luminosity blend mode will not affect colours at all, is gentle and will achieve a more pleasing effect.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

@Chris26

I agree. Normally I'd edit each image in A.Photo and even in this case I ended up doing this.
Yes, that is the better way.

Still, in some occassion you would want the completed document just a tad brighter without touching each image again. Say for example if you have a large document with lots of images, which is not hughly critical when it comes to image quality.
Hence the question was/is if there is a quick and dierty method to brighten the complete publisher document a bit in total when or before exporting.

I know of no way to do this, but, if it is a brochure I am assuming that it is not the number of images that are important but the number of pages .  If you therefore make sure all the text is placed on the TOP of all image layers and then In Publisher still, select the curves adjust and place that underneath the text layer so that it is above all the image layers, then this curves layer will affect all the images on that one page.  I do not know if this is any solution for you.  If you only have a brochure I am assuming then that this would not be too time consuming?  I wonder whether or not the fact that you have your brochure in a cmyk profile is part of the problem, since I assume your images are RGB, (photos), there may well be two conversions happening here when you received the proof back.  My experience has always been that regardless of the end print job, the pdf should have an embedded RGB profile which is then converted to cmyk by the printers themselves? Did your printer specifically ask for you to convert your brochure to a (not assign) a cmyk profile?  Just curious.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

At this occassion I'm done with it. I did adjust my renderings directly.

Yes, it has to do with the RGB to CYMK conversion. For printing that has to be done and I had already adjusted to accomodate that to a certain degree.
Still it turned out a tad to dark in the proof. That is also exactly why I always require a full proof.

Actually when I write Fogra 51 I do use the from it derived CMYK profile to achieve that. My printer actually has these as downloadable ICC profile.

Here is a description what happens:
"This latest version of ISO 12647/2 standard printing conditions for offset litho was published in late 2014. The Fogra 51, coated, and 52, uncoated, colour datasets and the new CMYK ECI profiles made from these datasets, PSO coated v3 and PSO uncoated v3 Fogra52, were released at the end of last year. And yes, it is a little odd that the coated one does not refer to Fogra 51 and the uncoated does refer to Fogra 52! "

First thing to check would be monitor calibration/profiling. But I guess you have that done and other jobs render fine.

Fogra 51 should be almost identical to Fogra 39 which is the normal allround profile for offset in Europe. Thus if you normally do Fogra 39 there should not really be visible difference.

Changing image gamma is easiest done as batch job. AP can do it, I would probably be doing this still in ID and alter images with one go  with LinkOptimizer + Photoshop.