You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource Manager reports links as modified when file has just been opened

LBA

Hi,

We have encountered a problem. Where 1st user creates / modifies a Publisher file, saves it.

Second user opens the file and in resource manager will report all the links as Modified when they have not been updated. The images are also blurred out.

The only resolution is to relink everything.

Thanks,

Is Publisher reporting the linked files as Modified, or as Missing?

Where is the Publisher file saved? Where are the linked files? (Exact details, for both users, please.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Both users are accessing a file stored on a Windows file server through a shared drive. The linked files are stored on the same server in a single folder below the Publisher file location.

The resource manager reports the files as modified and the images are blurred to the second user.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, LBA said:

Both users are accessing a file stored on a Windows file server through a shared drive.

The exact name used by both users to access the files are critical. Can you provide screenshots of the File Explorer window for each user when looking at the directory with the Publisher file in it?

(Although, that would not explain why Publisher says the files are Modified, vs Missing. Are both computers configured for the same timezone, and is the time set correctly on both computers?)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

It is recommended you do not work from the cloud but instead locally. We haven't said you cannot, there's just more risk. 

This isn't my field so I'd wait for one of the Publisher support staff to respond. I'll give someone a nudge. 

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The exact name used by both users to access the files are critical. Can you provide screenshots of the File Explorer window for each user when looking at the directory with the Publisher file in it?

(Although, that would not explain why Publisher says the files are Modified, vs Missing. Are both computers configured for the same timezone, and is the time set correctly on both computers?)

Ah, we are on the right track. One of the users is in based in Holland in a different timezone. Is this a known issue?

6 hours ago, LBA said:

The images are also blurred out

Still weird

Different time zone may account for "has been modified" message but not blurry images

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

So she is on a Citrix desktop based in London, the Citrix server is on the same infrastructure as the file server. But the Citrix client adjusts the time to her locality.

The other users are local to the file server.

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Different time zone may account for "has been modified" message but not blurry images

Perhaps the images are blurred for modified images when the Publisher file is opened, just as they would be for images that were missing?

-- Walt
PC:

Possibly, I have not played with that for a while.

You should though get an "Update" button in Resource Manager for modified files rather than having to relink them as the OP says in his first post

I wonder what happens when you click the Update button? (one for the OP to check)

EDIT and if "Update" button works try changing the setting to "automatically update linked" files in preferences to see if that cures/bypasses the problem

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I wonder what happens when you click the Update button?

There's also the Publisher Preference to automatically update modified linked files, which could help.

But it's probably better to figure out why they're considered modified :)

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

There's also the Publisher Preference to automatically update modified linked files, which could help.

You missed my edit

Great minds think alike 😃

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But it's probably better to figure out why they're considered modified

As soon as the OP mentioned Citrix Desktop I started getting ready to go to the Pub, whoever looks after that may need to track down the "problem"

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You missed my edit

Great minds think alike 😃

As soon as the OP mentioned Citrix Desktop I started getting ready to go to the Pub, whoever looks after that may need to track down the "problem"

Ha, yes Citrix is normally the root of most of our problems.

Thanks for your help and the tips. I will try them and report back. 

Hi,

A quick update on this. The Citrix user changed her locality to UK and has UK time, but the problem persists.

We have other teams sharing files and the same problem does not seem to occur, so maybe this points to Citrix?

Thanks,

Hi,

I just thought I would update on this issue. 

Further testing using a Windows 10 Citrix desktop with a different time zone, GMT+1, replicated the issue. Using the same Desktop with GMT the issue did not occur.

For me this seems to be a bug?

Thanks