You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I much prefer Affinity's pen tool and ability to quickly add and delete nodes and bend existing strokes as I trace over things to what illustrator offers. that said...
Is there a way to pull in one of the two handles of a node to the center of the node so the stroke on that side makes a hard point and the other side of the node still has a handle that can be manipulated? Basically i want to be able to create a hard stop of a stroke at a node point and then bend and curve the stroke after that hard stop.
In Illustrator, I could just grab one of the handles and pull it in to the node and it would snap in and disappear.
Right now the workaround I use in Affinity Designer is to select the node and use the "sharp" convert option at the top of the screen and then using the node tool, pull on the stroke further along to re-bend it.
Hope that makes sense -thanks!

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

22 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

I much prefer Affinity's pen tool and ability to quickly add and delete nodes and bend existing strokes as I trace over things to what illustrator offers. that said...
Is there a way to pull in one of the two handles of a node to the center of the node so the stroke on that side makes a hard point and the other side of the node still has a handle that can be manipulated? Basically i want to be able to create a hard stop of a stroke at a node point and then bend and curve the stroke after that hard stop.
In Illustrator, I could just grab one of the handles and pull it in to the node and it would snap in and disappear.
Right now the workaround I use in Affinity Designer is to select the node and use the "sharp" convert option at the top of the screen and then using the node tool, pull on the stroke further along to re-bend it.
Hope that makes sense -thanks!

opt/alt-click the handle you want to remove

• 3 years later...
33 minutes ago, ronanski said:

I knew about the alt trick but this doesn't help as you can never completely get rid of it so it is still curved not an accurate straight line

From my experience, alt/opt-clicking a control handle has the same effect that's achieved in Illustrator by dragging a control handle into a node. But I may not completely understand what you're trying to achieve.

Can you provide screenshots or a video that provides a bit more detail of the end result you're looking for?

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

It just doesn't snap to the node. Unless you get rid of the handle completely both sides which is not wanted as we want one side still curved the other side of the node remains curved. You can put it pretty close but you zoom in and it is still curved so will never get a neat line joining it to the next node which is needed.

1 hour ago, ronanski said:

You can put it pretty close but you zoom in and it is still curved so will never get a neat line joining it to the next node which is needed.

I'm not sure if it's what you want, but opt/alt-click the Node Tool on a segment, rather than a node or handle, to completely straighten that segment.

2 hours ago, ronanski said:

It just doesn't snap to the node. Unless you get rid of the handle completely both sides which is not wanted as we want one side still curved the other side of the node remains curved. You can put it pretty close but you zoom in and it is still curved so will never get a neat line joining it to the next node which is needed.

As you mentioned, in Illustrator, dragging a control handle onto the node snaps the handle to the node. If I'm not mistaken, snapping a control handle to the node basically removes the control handle.

As far as I can tell, alt/opt-clicking a control handle in Affinity has the same effect that's achieved in Illustrator by snapping the control handle to the node.

In the video below, the results appear to be the same:

• On the first shape, I dragged the control handle onto the node to simulate snapping it to the node. 
  • On the second shape, I alt-clicked the control handle to delete it.

Let me know if I'm not understanding something.

51 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

As you mentioned, in Illustrator, dragging a control handle onto the node snaps the handle to the node. If I'm not mistaken, snapping a control handle to the node basically removes the control handle.

As far as I can tell, alt/opt-clicking a control handle in Affinity has the same effect that's achieved in Illustrator by snapping the control handle to the node.

In the video below, the results appear to be the same:

• On the first shape, I dragged the control handle onto the node to simulate snapping it to the node. 
  • On the second shape, I alt-clicked the control handle to delete it.

Let me know if I'm not understanding something.

Oh I see you click and let go. I thought you meant alt click and drag it to the node like the previous suggestions. Yes that works as well thank you.

43 minutes ago, ronanski said:

Oh I see you click and let go. I thought you meant alt click and drag it to the node like the previous suggestions. Yes that works as well thank you.

Awesome! I was hoping it was just a matter of our wires getting crossed.