Jump to content

Colours displayed in the app and after exporting don't match


Recommended Posts

Hei,

I wanted to start working in Affinity apps (all three), but encountered a serious problem right from the start: colours don't match.

The ones on the working space in Affinity are clearly desaturated while after exporting they visibly gain saturation. Adobe, previously used by me, also displays nice saturated colours.

I have everywhere set the sRGB profile, except my Eizo monitor (from which screenshots), which has been calibrated with Spyder and has it's own profile. Surprisingly though, when I switch the monitor to sRGB, the colour difference is even bigger.

Can you please help? Or at least tell me if/where I can switch of display colour conversion in Affinity programs.

Regards,

Kati

printscreen_colours.jpg

printscreen_colours2.jpg

printscreen_colours3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Hi @GRAFIKATI,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm very sorry to see you're having trouble! Can you please follow the advice at the below link in regards to colour management in Affinity, and let me know if using this setup method resolves your issue?

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

Many thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GRAFIKATI said:

I have everywhere set the sRGB profile, except my Eizo monitor (from which screenshots), which has been calibrated with Spyder and has it's own profile. Surprisingly though, when I switch the monitor to sRGB, the colour difference is even bigger.

Do you mean profile for monitor in OS, or monitor settings?

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.8.5.703.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, Build 19042.610.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @GRAFIKATI,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm very sorry to see you're having trouble! Can you please follow the advice at the below link in regards to colour management in Affinity, and let me know if using this setup method resolves your issue?

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

Many thanks in advance!

Hei,

I followed the steps and unfortunatelly nothing's changed - the colours still don't match and they are gray-ish in the app workspace.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRAFIKATI said:

It's the same. When I change it in the monitor settings it automatically changes in OS, and vice versa.

I think you're wrong. Setting up a profile in the OS is something completely different from setting up a monitor.

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.8.5.703.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, Build 19042.610.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 10:13 PM, GRAFIKATI said:

I have everywhere set the sRGB profile, except my Eizo monitor

Regardless of hardware and Windows OS: Do you mean with "everywhere" that you have set also the document color spaces & profiles identical, and for export, too?

I wonder because in your screenshot at least the APh document shows a CMYK space + profile ("Coated FOGRA 39...").
Also, when viewing an exported PDF and unless you exported as PDF/X, make sure the viewing app (e.g. Acrobat) has set the same profile to display the PDF as you have selected for export.

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 27" // Affinity preferred in Separated Mode + Merged Windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
On 8/8/2020 at 10:28 PM, GRAFIKATI said:

I followed the steps and unfortunatelly nothing's changed - the colours still don't match and they are gray-ish in the app workspace.

Sorry to hear this, can you please try the steps at the below post (for whichever monitor you're using Affinity on)?

Many thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that @thomaso may be on the right track in noting that the base document is in CMYK. What color format was used for the PDF export?

(Also, @Dan C in the second screenshot in the original post, the colors in the workspace and in the navigator are different, with the navigator showing brighter colors that seem (to me) to match the PDF export. Wasn't there a time when the navigator always displayed in RGB, even for CMYK files? That could be another clue.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1065 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1065 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Wasn't there a time when the navigator always displayed in RGB, even for CMYK files?

If this was an issue previously then I don't think it exists currently - I don't believe the Navigator uses the same colour conversion that the canvas in Affinity uses, which is why the navigator appears 'correct'. I've seen this before when users have 'off whites', the canvas looks yellow but the navigator looks correct and 9/10 times it's a colour profile issue with the on screen conversion :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 11:30 AM, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear this, can you please try the steps at the below post (for whichever monitor you're using Affinity on)?

Many thanks!

It looks like it finally worked! Thank you so much!

I was switching those profiles in Windows before but didn't restart the app. I assumed that, since the screen and other app colours changed and at the smae time they didn't in Affinity, the issue was somewhere else.

Still, there seems to be an issue with colour conversion in the app when using calibration profile for the monitor, and I know I'm not the only one experiencing it. I have no idea where and why it goes wrong but maybe it would be good to have it resolved. Is there any way to forward the issue to Affinity developers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
12 hours ago, GRAFIKATI said:

It looks like it finally worked! Thank you so much!

I'm glad to hear this, many thanks for letting me know :)

12 hours ago, GRAFIKATI said:

Still, there seems to be an issue with colour conversion in the app when using calibration profile for the monitor, and I know I'm not the only one experiencing it. I have no idea where and why it goes wrong but maybe it would be good to have it resolved. Is there any way to forward the issue to Affinity developers?

You can post any bugs in the below section of the Forums, these will be passed through to our developers :)
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.