You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all!

Reading a PDF compiled with LaTeX into Affinity Publisher has missing spaces. An other "normal" PDF from internet is properly rendered. I am a beginner with Affinity Tools. So be patient if this is a naive question. I did not find a question in the FAQ mentioning "pdf". 

Best greetings to all

marek

Does the PDF (LaTeX) open fine in other apps or Adobe Acrobat Reader or PDF specific apps?

If possible upload the LaTeX PDF.

For those curious about LaTeX: https://www.latex-project.org/get/ 

Note for Mac users: The MacTeX download is approx 4.2GB

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thnx firstdefence

Here a Minimal Non-working example. The table is not rendering well and all headlines (The table overlaps in Preview too - my hope was to drag this table a bit higher in Affinity Publisher or Designer). Opening in Preview looks fine. May I ask a supplemental question: how to set the spelling language for the entire file? 

Best greetings again

marek

table_test02.pdf

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Marek,

Thanks for the PDF file.

When i open the attached PDF, i get told about missing fonts and the fonts don't have what i/we would class as a proper font name, eg they are all CMR8 ect, so i think this may all be down to us not reading the embedded fonts in the PDF (something none of the Affinity apps can currently do).  I suspect the other app is creating its own font names and embedding those into the PDF (i'm just waiting for the download to complete to confirm this)

If you have these fonts installed (CMR8 ect) and they accessible outside of LaTex then the PDF should open correctly.  

CMR8, etc. is indeed a font set. CMXX stands for Computer Modern and was developed by Donald E. Knuth.

I'm having the same problem here. I installed all the fonts from here (https://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma/) but still it doesn't look right at all. I tried replacing all the fonts with the right one, but still many elements just break and it seems like all white spaces vanish.

I attached a screenshot. (left: affinity, right: original)

Screenshot_1.png

53 minutes ago, XENOTpro said:

Couldn't there be an option where the PDF doesn't get parsed to editable text fields at all but rather imported as a set of paths? That way it's not editable text but at least it's identical to the original.

33 minutes ago, benwiggy said:

Yes: an option to outline font glyphs in imported PDFs would solve so many of these problems. Currently, Affinity can outline subset embedded fonts in EPS files, for accurate import.

Without the ability to interpret embedded fonts, how could the Affinity apps create a set of paths/outlines on import? And once they become capable of interpreting embedded fonts, they will be able to display them correctly and (optionally) keep them editable. 

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Without the ability to interpret embedded fonts, how could the Affinity apps create a set of paths/outlines on import? 

EPS files with embedded fonts are outlined and imported accurately, even for glyphs that fail in PDF import. Without seeing the code, I can't tell you how they do it.
I've tested files made directly in Illustrator and saved as EPS, and PDFs saved as EPS in Acrobat. And from PostScript files converted to EPS in GhostScript. In fact, Affinity apps will open standard PostScript files, if they are single-page files.

Thank you all for the many knowledgeable answers! It was more out of curiosity that I started this thread. A real LaTeX user would never edit a PDF in a graphic tool. He would try to tweak it in the source.tex itself. 

Interestingly GIMP opens my pdf without any flaw. (To remember how I create my texts: pandoc > Markdown.md (with YAML Placeholders) > LaTeX_template.tex > file.pdf)

Best greetings to all

marek