You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Putting text into a shape using Designer

It shows on tutorial video that you can select a shape - say a heart - and colour in the background, then convert to curve, then enter text.

I can make the shape, colour it in, but when I convert it to curve the colour disappears. I can enter text but no background colour.

Could someone advise me please what am I doing wrong.

Gordon

When you say that you are following a tutorial it’s always good if you can provide a link (if the tutorial is publicly available) so people can see what you are following. Otherwise we have no idea what the tutorial is telling you to do, and there are some tutorials that are not very good.
Can you give us a visual example (or near enough so we can get the idea) of what you are trying to achieve? Not necessarily what you are following in the tutorial, but what you actually want to do.

I wish to draw a shape (any shape) say a heart. Then give the heart a colour say light blue.  Then to write some text in the heart shape. The video is on Affinity Youtube so I expect it to be correct.

When I make my shape and colour it - everything is fine - when I go to convert it to a text frame by right clicking on the image as the video shows - I lose the colour out of the shape. I can write  in the shape ok using the text tool but no colour.  

How do I keep the colour? There is no way thereafter to colour the shape. I know I can colour the shape and then create a text box - write in the box then insert it into the shape but I wanted the text to follow the shape.

When you convert a shape to a Text Frame – you originally said you were converting to a curve – Designer loses the colour of the shape as it has no ability to alter the Text Frame Fill (so it gets rid of it).
Also, what do you mean by “I wanted the text to follow the shape”? Text in a Text Frame is contained within the frame but it doesn’t ‘follow’ the shape of the frame, except in the way that the text avoids ‘going over the sides’.
I’ll ask again: Can you give us a visual example of the sort of thing you are trying to do?
(You mentioned the video again but still haven’t given a link so we can’t see what it’s trying to tell you.)

This is not right. When I follow your instruction its fine. But if you wish to amend the size of your shape it loses colour and the text you have inserted stays put while the shape moves.

I just be doing something wrong but I cannot se what it is.

G13RL: Quite possibly, but I think it’s best to get the answer from the OP, rather than guessing, so we know what is actually required. No point giving instructions if we don’t know what we’re giving instructions for.

All jam doing is this.

1 click on heart in shapes. Draw a heart with no colour.

Fill heart with a colour.

Then right click and convert heart to a text frame. It loses its colour.

If I do what you suggest and copy heart then colour and put it with the first uncoloured heart one and then convert into a text frame they both lose colour.

I'll go make a cup of coffee and start again. I am clearly not doing something I should.

You have caused no offence. I am very grateful for the time and effort you give to my confusion. The video was not an Affinity video but one on YouTube. Sadly I have now been unable to find it again.

I can create a red heart with filler text but I cannot amend the text or add my own text to it without losing the colour. When you right click on the shape there is a drop down menu which states - Convert to Text Frame. I naturally thought that's what it did. It does that, but loses the colour. It's that simple. I am experimenting and am looking to see how clever this software is. Unfortunately I watched a video on Youtube and thought that looks simple I will give it a go - that was this morning. After lunch I gave it a go but could not make it work. I now cannot find the damm video. All I want to do is put text into a shape so the text stays in the shape whether it be a heart , circle or something I have drawn. I do not want it to curve in any way simply stay in the shape. Like a speech bubble. 

Gratefully yours 

Gordon

Make the shape, duplicate it (simple Copy and Paste will do) and then choose the text frame tool, click in the top shape (happens automatically) and paste or type your text in. Group the objects to prevent the misalignment if you want to move them. Misalignment can be useful though if you want the heart (coloured one) to be bigger or distorted.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

24 minutes ago, Gordon G said:

All I want to do is put text into a shape so the text stays in the shape whether it be a heart , circle or something I have drawn. I do not want it to curve in any way simply stay in the shape. Like a speech bubble.

What you basically do is, make a layer copy the shape of your interest, so you have two of them. Then you convert one of those two layers into a textframe, setting up the text in some wanted color etc. For the the other one you apply/set the desired fill color. Afterwards you position them (both) one over the other and group or montage them together, so they look like being one object.

You have to do it this way, since Designer (in contrast to Publisher here) doesn't have the ability to set a background color for textframes directly.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you. I am beginning to se my error. I wrongly think that what works in one application of Affinity will work the same way in another. I will get there eventually with all the help you guts give.

I must have watched a video on Publisher of Photo and naturally I tried it out on Designer. I have all three packages and can get confused easily.

Thanks again

Gordon

2 hours ago, G13RL said:

@GarryP Thank you for the lesson, from now on I'll just follow the forum without intervening, I hate people who give lessons, so I'll leave the field open to you. On my side I'm doing well with AD so nothing will change for me.

Please do reconsider.  You have provided lots of really useful information (as has @GarryP) and it would be a pity if you gave us all up as a bad job!  Personally I would still be tied up in knots over several issues without you two.   I suspect we are all a bit out of sorts — this whole social distancing thing is great for black holes but not for homo sapiens.  Around here it has rained over 4 inches in the last three days, which doesn’t help the old joie de vivre either.  Stay well!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I fully agree with jmwellborn please don't give up on us old novices. I would feel so alone without knowing there are people like you, who are prepared to help folks like me.

I don't know about anyone else but the challenge of learning something new in your 70's is great - but I for one do get confused and need help often. It is challenging for me to get my head around some of the concepts of layers and stuff. I have, no I am having a wonderful interesting life, and that is because people like you have helped me along the way.

Regards to you all

Gordon