You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Breaking Windows conventions - scroll/pan/zoom

The windows convention is:

scroll vertical = scroll
scroll horizontal = scroll + shift
zoom = scroll + ctrl
pan = scroll-hold + move  (optionally hold space and move the mouse)

Maintaining convention ensures easier (muscle memory) adoption and is consequent with other programs.
Probably the most used application are browsers, align with them from the get-go: stick to conventions by default!

In the latest(?) beta: 1.8.4.650

zoom = scroll
scroll horizontal = scroll + ctrl + shift
scroll vertical = scroll + ctrl

8 minutes ago, Affin said:

In the latest(?) beta: 1.8.4.650

zoom = scroll
scroll horizontal = scroll + ctrl + shift
scroll vertical = scroll + ctrl

Same in 1.8.3.641 (Windows 10).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

image.png.bbc8f486bc7037174f9633c81312dc92.png

Affin and Joachim_ L

If you have "Use mouse wheel to zoom" selected it changes the mouse scroll behavior from Windows std to what you have described. I always have it set this way because in years of using CAD software that was the usual way so that what I'm used to. It all come down to what you are used to really.

GeoffH

Awesome, thank you.
Now I wonder if this comes set like this out of the box?

In my opinion this checkbox should not be checked by default, but perfect that it is available.

I understand that the UX is personal, but the general load of mainstream applications use scroll to scroll vertical and either lack a zoom, or use ctrl+scroll to zoom (sometimes a combination of ctrl+/- of sorts).
Browsers, text editors, spreadsheets, et cetera tend to stick to the scroll standard. Most users won't come from 3D/CAD applications and even if so, when combining (alt+tab) between various programs, the lack of convention will break your muscle memory rather quick. Everyone browses, everyone uses text based applications.

Thank you again, you saved me tons!

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Affin said:

Now I wonder if this comes set like this out of the box?

In my opinion this checkbox should not be checked by default, but perfect that it is available.

This is not a default setting. You will have checked it manually at some point. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.