You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Boxes in Photo don't print (split)

On 8/8/2019 at 10:18 PM, thomaso said:

Unfortunately there is no such "not print" property yet. As a workaround you would need to either place the text in its frame outside of the page, or to set the according layer to invisible before print.

Seems to be in my copy of Affinity. I type text in to a box and only part prints.

I typed 5 lines of text, Lines 1, 4 & 5 printed but lines 2 & 3 are missing. Lines 2 to 5 are left justifiedand almost the same length (line 2 one letter less than 4 & 5 and line 3 is to letters less).

Any Idea why this happens, it's not the first time either.

8 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Seems to be in my copy of Affinity. I type text in to a box and only part prints.

I typed 5 lines of text, Lines 1, 4 & 5 printed but lines 2 & 3 are missing. Lines 2 to 5 are left justifiedand almost the same length (line 2 one letter less than 4 & 5 and line 3 is to letters less).

Any Idea why this happens, it's not the first time either.

Mac or Windows? Publisher, or a different application?

Can you provide a sample document where the problem occurs? If we can look at the actual document we might be able to figure out what's happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

> "I typed 5 lines of text, Lines 1, 4 & 5 printed but lines 2 & 3 are missing. Lines 2 to 5 are left justifiedand almost the same length (line 2 one letter less than 4 & 5 and line 3 is to letters less)."
> "The text is actually visible in the print preview."

Come on, instead of texting any further (what makes you assume the lengths or number of characters per line is relevant? what result do you get on export? what color do you have applied to the missing lines? does the entire text have the same font applied? what printer do you use? what is its driver version?... etc.) please upload any of your affected Affinity documents to make the issue visible for others, too, to enable them to investigate a possible reason by experimenting with that document. Otherwise you might remain the only one who is experiencing that issue.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

> "I typed 5 lines of text, Lines 1, 4 & 5 printed but lines 2 & 3 are missing. Lines 2 to 5 are left justifiedand almost the same length (line 2 one letter less than 4 & 5 and line 3 is to letters less)."
> "The text is actually visible in the print preview."

Come on, instead of texting any further (what makes you assume the lengths or number of characters per line is relevant? what result do you get on export? what color do you have applied to the missing lines? does the entire text have the same font applied? what printer do you use? what is its driver version?... etc.) please upload any of your affected Affinity documents to make the issue visible for others, too, to enable them to investigate a possible reason by experimenting with that document. Otherwise you might remain the only one who is experiencing that issue.

I have no Idea why the number of characters would cause it but colour, font, size justification ect. are all the same and that is why I did not mention then. All I did was type the five lines pressing return at the end of each line. I mentioned the line length as that is the only difference.

A similar thing happened several times yesterday with different text on different sized papers and I have tried to eliminate everything I could think of. 

I was in the process of getting images of the issue but as you can see all 5 lines have outputted to the print preview. I've done tests and it is not a fault associated with as it is the same with 3 printers.

Once I will have printed all your uploaded documents but do not get the issue: What should we do next? I then could start with re-creating such an Affinity document and re-typing the text exactly according to your layout. Will you expect me to do this? And, if even that wouldn't make me experience the issue, should I buy, install and test your printer model to see if it causes the issue? If yes, what ink brand can you recommend?

51 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Once I will have printed all your uploaded documents but do not get the issue: What should we do next? I then could start with re-creating such an Affinity document and re-typing the text exactly according to your layout. Will you expect me to do this? And, if even that wouldn't make me experience the issue, should I buy, install and test your printer model to see if it causes the issue? If yes, what ink brand can you recommend?

I don't expect you to do anything other than respond in a less than helpful manner. It seems that unlike others you have little intention of being helpful and prefer to make stupid unhelpful comments. 

Ah, you see it can be worth to want another text. Now you simply need to avoid using these letters, or maybe only in that combination, and everything is fine. Well done!

p.s.: before me Mr. Walt did offer his help but you seemed to ignore his request for a file to test and possibly made him feel bad this way. However, I am glad you managed to detect the culprit in this issue.

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Ah, you see it can be worth to want another text. Now you simply need to avoid using these letters, or maybe only in that combination, and everything is fine. Well done!

p.s.: before me Mr. Walt did offer his help but you seemed to ignore his request for a file to test and possibly made him feel bad this way. However, I am glad you managed to detect the culprit in this issue.

So I should avoid using to, ta, lt and possibly other combinations of letters in anything I produce? Not good when I want the word TOP and LEFT

As I mentioned before, and as thomaso alluded to, it is difficult for us to tell what is happening if you don't give us an actual file with the problem. (We may not be able to even with a file, but without one it is very difficult, possibly impossible.)

Provide the .afphoto file, and we may see more.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Well, that is bizarre.

I see the same thing happening with your document, in either Photo or Publisher, 1.8.4 beta for both.

Printing drops those two lines. They are there in the preview in the Affinity Print dialog, and missing when they are sent to the printer (they do not show up in my printer's preview dialog, nor on the page when printed).

Edit: Then I changed the font, and it dropped the "Left" line when printing, but printed the other three.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Does it print if Rasterize Entire Page is set?

Just curious and doesn't solve the issue...

Yes, it does. Thanks for the idea, Mike.

Not sure what that indicates, though.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, it does. Thanks for the idea, Mike.

Not sure what that indicates, though.

Heh, heh...I am uncertain as well.

It's always been a solution (of sorts) in Serif applications when the rasterization of complex pages would error if rasterization occurred at  the print device. It's is/was a work-around for basically inexpensive print devices.

But...the page shown above is too simple, it's not complex. So I imagine APhoto is having issues with that file or in general. If it is the file, a new file with text retyped may/would be a test. If that printed, something is/may be funky with the file itself. If a newly created file with those words also fails, I would try typing them in AD. If AD works, then it seems likely APhoto is at fault.

Gosh, that's a lot of typing on my phone...

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

So I imagine APhoto is having issues with that file or in general.

Publisher beta has the same problem with that file. And it does not depend on the printer that is used, so it's something that the Print engine in Affinity (on Windows, at least) is doing consistently in the applications. Even happens printing to Microsoft PDF printer.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Ok. With that file.

If you copy the text, paste it into a text editor, copy it again and paste it into a fresh, new APub document, does that print?

Yes, it prints.

-- Walt
PC: