You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

which affinity product to get

I'm getting back in to messing about with building posters and random graphics for social media basically learning a new skill again .

i used to use photoshop before it was a monthly fee i think it was called cs6 and i heard affinity was pretty much the same thing which is great for what i am after.

however the three options that can be purchased which one is better for graphic designing for posters etc maybe some photo editing but nothing extensive is there a difference between the three in regards to options and tools .

im looking for some guidance on which pack would suit my needs. 

many thanks 

Depends on what you want to do. I would say Designer and Photos (Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop counterparts). This would give you the ability to edit and create vectors with Designer and for photo editing, well the name says it all, Photos. The suite is incredibly cheap. There is a free 90 day trial, I wold give that a go and try things you would do before with Photoshop and make sure it meets your needs. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, wonderings said:

The suite is incredibly cheap.

Especially at the moment, with 50% off! This generous offer ends on 20th May.

https://affinity.serif.com/supporting-the-creative-community/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 5/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, dannycotton201184@hotmail. said:

I'm getting back in to messing about with building posters and random graphics for social media basically learning a new skill again .

i used to use photoshop before it was a monthly fee i think it was called cs6 and i heard affinity was pretty much the same thing which is great for what i am after.

however the three options that can be purchased which one is better for graphic designing for posters etc maybe some photo editing but nothing extensive is there a difference between the three in regards to options and tools .

im looking for some guidance on which pack would suit my needs. 

many thanks 

For posters and random graphics for social media? I would say start with Photo. Just Photo. Half of Designer is features from Photo anyway, and Designer is amazingly feature weak in the vector drawing department.

I see no reason to purchase more than Photo unless you discover a reason while trying it. Photo has tons of features and some from designer are there too. The pen tool is just hidden but can be added easily to the toolbar. If you miss anything look under View -> customize tools in Photo.

I recommend focusing on Photo and Designer also at least as a trial.

image.png.660ded0eb2cb83cd3ecfc6938c0c2eb3.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

17 hours ago, Jowday said:

Half of Designer is features from Photo anyway

I was saying from the very begging that all apps must contain only specific features for its purpose. Expecially now when there is a Studio Link in Publisher. Now, there is an option someone to buy only Photo without Designer just because of these duplicated features. I don't know why, but they are copying the Adobe's way of work where at the end all of the three apps will have the same features.

Maybe Xara's way of doing things is much better than Adobe's. They offer all apps separatelly and one "pro" version where all apps are joined into one. They can do this with Publisher because of Studio Link feature.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)