You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switching form Adobe to Affinity

After about 30 years, I'm done with Adobe and heard many good things about Affinity... looking to purchase the 3 apps for Windows. Only question I have is, if Photo works like (or better than) Photoshop, how would I review and select from hundreds of photos, typical for most of my shoots? Is there a Lightroom type plug in, or section within Photo that would make that part a snap?  If not, how are folks here dealing with that?

Hi, I gave up on Photoshop at version 6 after it went subscription mode. I have tried Affinity Photo in the hope it would be somewhat like P/S but there are a lot of things that A/P is missing and yes I no it is a lot cheaper than Adobe but the options to use 3rd party plugins falls a long way behind, there is no A/P like Lightroom option available (I still hold on to L/R 6), small things such as camera profiles although requested for a long time is not available. I would suggest you download the trial of A/P first and make up your own mind. As you need a system to review images I would suggest to keep Lightroom if you have it or take a look at On1 photo RAW  although still IMO not as good as L/R. Russ.

Before jumping ship from Adobe give Affinity an extensive test. I believe they still have the 90 day trial going on. While the Affinity products are great, they are not replacements for Adobe just yet in my opinion. Price point is amazing and there is a lot of bang for your buck with the software, just not quite there yet. 

Take your hardest tasks and try them using the Affinity software. If you can accomplish the most gruelling work you have it just may be an adequate replacement for you. 

Lens profiles are not a problem in Affiniti if you are shooting M4/3 i.e. Olympus as profiles are sorted in camera.  As for DAM software, Adobe provide Bridge free of charge if you have a free Adobe account.  ACR won't be active but RAW can be edited in AF.  Bridge will give you enough features to star and colour code photos and manage libraries.  You can edit preferences to add Affiniti Photo to file extensions so that you can open a file in AF from the Open With... dialogue.

Edited by anolddog
ta add additional info.

If you are Mac you might want to try ‘neofinder’ as dam software. I’m a designer not a photographer so not sure if it would be comprehensive enough for your needs but its a suggestion. I used to use ‘Pixave’ but seems the developers have given up on it as it won’t work very well in mac OS Catalina anymore. 

On 4/29/2020 at 2:07 AM, crackerjackflash said:

Is there a Lightroom type plug in, or section within Photo that would make that part a snap

Look at the Develop Persona and Tone Mapping Persona.

persona.png