You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-destructive Auto-Levels (and Highlights / Shadows as well)

Non-destructive Auto-Levels!

I strongly second the wish expressed many times at different locations in the forum already. I have seen messages from others who posted that a good Auto-Level is one of the key points when they want to switch from Photoshop. I also find myself using the AUTO functions in Adobe Camera Raw, as well the Auto-Level in Photoshop very often. In many times they deliver very satisfying results which do need only little adjustment if any.

Can you please add a non-destructive Auto-Level, which can be edited by the user and give similar good results like in Photoshop?

• 9 months later...

I agree, I’ve just purchased the 3 apps from Affinity and I’m hoping to wean myself off Adobe but there’s still a few things for me that are preventing this... and auto levels in Camera Raw and in the Curves panel are functions I use a lot to get a quick staring point... I was disappointed to not find these available in Affinity photo

• 1 year later...

I also agree. I have just downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo to consider the purchase. And I love it overall. But the fact of not having non-destructive auto levels for Raw files in the development section is making me hesitate. Please, add that feature and I have no doubt you will get a lot of new users.

You need 3 Clicks to get an non-destructive auto levels effect in Photo Persona:

1. Add an levels adjustment
  2. Wait until the levels histogram is shown
  3. Move the Black level slider until it touches the first non-zero brightness level (from left)
  4. Move the white level slider until it touches the first non-zero brightness level (from right)

The Develop Persona is effectively destructive as the adjustments get "baked in" to the resulting RGB layer once you click "apply".

Only the Photo Persona allows real non-destructive adjustments (which can be deactivated or re-adjusted any time later).

Affinity declares the Develop Persona non-destructive, but this marketing Blabla as Affinity us unable to write dng files, and forces users to export the result into a different format / file.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

21 hours ago, Rob Nar said:

I also agree. I have just downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo to consider the purchase. And I love it overall. But the fact of not having non-destructive auto levels for Raw files in the development section is making me hesitate. Please, add that feature and I have no doubt you will get a lot of new users.

Technically all the changes done to a raw file are nondestructive. The raw file is never changed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Affinity declares the Develop Persona non-destructive, but this marketing Blabla as Affinity us unable to write dng files, and forces users to export the result into a different format / file.

The raw file is never changed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Now in AP 2 still no option for non-destructive auto corrections, so these commands delegate the Assistant to rasterize the raw file and you lose the raw output options the only remaining option is a pixel layer and the roll-down menu will be greyed out.
If it is so simple then why it is so hard to implement it as an option on the adjustment panel?

Edited by keiichi77
original quote relates to a different question and my comment is not related to that issue.