You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, Gadola said:

Is there any way to set the DEFAULT UNITS to inches instead of pixels so that when I start Affinity Photo is will be inches - not pixels? 

If you use FILE>NEW and under the section "Document units" choose inches, and save it, then the next time you open FILE>NEW your document should still be in inches.   At least that is what I have done on my MAC.  Also, if after you have established your setting for the new document and click on Custom  you will get a preset box outlined in blue in "My Presets" which you could then rename to something  such as "Default document" and then test it out.   Should work.   Hope this helps.

2135008476_ScreenShot2020-03-30at2_54_21PM.thumb.png.f05d4092138f577380693b8e19becdea.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

jmwellborn

Thanks for the reply.  I only open existing documents (photos) to work on.  I never use NEW document.  Unfortunately your suggestion is of no help.  I just can't believe that Serif hasn't implemented the ability to change the default startup for this option.  I also can't believe that there have not been other photographers who haven't brought this up before to Serif. 

Again, thanks

It has been brought up, Gadola.

When you open a photo, the View Tool will be active, and the Context Toolbar will have a Units field you can change with 2 clicks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

When you open a photo, the View Tool will be active, and the Context Toolbar will have a Units field you can change with 2 clicks.

When the rulers are visible you can also right-click on the document units at the top left of the ruler to pop up a small menu to change the units.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

When the rulers are visible you can also right-click on the document units at the top left of the ruler to pop up a small menu to change the units.

Yes, but that works better for Designer and Publisher than Photo, because it requires they default to the Move Tool when Opening a document, while Photo defaults to the View Tool.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but that works better for Designer and Publisher than Photo, because it requires they default to the Move Tool when Opening a document, while Photo defaults to the View Tool.

??? At least on my Mac, it does not matter which tool is selected (in any of the Affinity apps), only that the pointer is over the document units at the top left of the ruler when I right-click. It is easier to see where the tip of the pointer is with the Move Tool selected, but as long as it is centered somewhere over the units text, right-clicking works for me.

995194416_docunitsonruler.jpg.42c6d22ab5a11669ffc3aea69fe891fc.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Interesting. I may have to try that again, after breakfast. It only worked for me last night (Windows) with the Move Tool.

-- Walt
PC:

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. I may have to try that again, after breakfast. It only worked for me last night (Windows) with the Move Tool.

If the View Tool is selected, try placing the 'palm' of the tool icon over the units when you right-click.

If a brush tool is selected, it may be easier to see where to place the pointer if in Preferences > User Interface the option to Always show brush crosshair is enabled.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, OGMedia said:

Can't simply change the units, and their response is "Everyone should be using metric units!". 

It sounds like you're talking about File > New, and the Presets that use metric measurements. If so, just use one of the other Presets that use US measurements, or make your own Preset.

The ones that are metric are international standard sizes, that are defined in metric. Therefore they should be metric, as that's the standard. But, again, you can make your own, or modify one of those to use inches, and save it as a new Preset.

-- Walt
PC:

45 minutes ago, OGMedia said:

Can't simply change the units, and their response is "Everyone should be using metric units!". 

If what @walt.farrell suggested about using presets is not what you mean, you can change the document units at any time if the ruler is visible by right-clicking on the units shown at the origins of the ruler & selecting any of the units the app supports, including points, picas, inches, feet, & yards.

In AP you can also open Document > Resize Canvas & change the units there -- you do not have to change anything else; just click the Resize button after setting the units to whatever you want. In AD you can open File > Document Setup... & change the document units there.

Finally, regardless of the current document units setting you can enter values in the Transform panel & many other places in the Affinity UI using any of the supported unit types & they will automatically be converted to the current document unit type. So for example, if the current width "W:" value in the Transform panel is displayed as "32 mm" & you want to set it to 1 inch, just replace "32 mm" with "1 in" it will be converted to "25.4 mm" when you exit that field.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, OGMedia said:

Additionally to @Walt's and @R C-R's hints: You also may change the unit of any of the presets without saving it as new, custom preset via the + button. A changed unit of a preset will be maintained for this preset even without saving as long you don't select another preset.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1