You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text not recognised (symbols)

8 minutes ago, lee.bkk said:

Hi, I am using affinity designer, when I open a PDF for editing some of the characters are not recognised - specifically Greek symbol for delta (triangle). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you have all of the fonts that are in the PDF installed on your system?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, lee.bkk said:

As far as I can tell yes

If you Open the PDF, Designer will tell you whether all the fonts are available or not. You'll see a message like the one I marked below in the PDF Options dialog:
image.png.08b7cb0ceeed3af32eb99940f5ddd486.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Sorry; I don't know enough about Mac, FontBook, and PDF formats to help further. But with that information perhaps someone else will have a suggestion.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue now but with other fonts. Affinity has worked flawlessly for me for  a few years and now all these errors with fonts. I have attached some screen shots (one of the replace missin  fonts in designer, one of the missing font in my font book) and would greatly appreciate assistance on this. 

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 13.33.52.png

unable to upload a photo of my font book - I just get an error "-200"

I have tried reinstalling the fonts to my font book but no success. Even tried uninstalling Affinity Designer and reinstalling. I have spent hours trying to resolve this, it seems other users have the same issue - fonts that are in the font book but not able to be 'read' by Designer.  

@lee.bkk, according to Font Book, your two missing font faces have different names from those on my Mac:

310587370_fontinfo.jpg.7266ac31206cdb04b32d741a1eb00d42.jpg

(Yours have a comma rather than a space.) If the font names in the document do not match those of any installed font, Affinity will substitute a typeface from another font family.

If you open Font test.afdesign on your Mac & you get a missing font notice, is there any Tahoma or Verdana family offered among the replacements?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, lee.bkk said:

Attached is a screenshot of my font book files in finder.

Font Book is the font manager application that comes preinstalled with the macOS. With it you can validate, install, enable, & disable fonts, etc. It also can provide information about the version of fonts installed, their family, Postscript, & unique names.

Using it, I cannot find any typeface named "Tahoma,Bold" or "Verdana,Bold" installed on my Mac, so unless you can on yours, this is probably why Affinity does not recognize any font with those specific names.

Since you can open my test file without a missing file notification, this means you do have those two typefaces installed on your Mac, so you should be able to choose them as the replacement font families & style in the 'Replace missing fonts' dialog in Affinity.

Note that this does not necessarily mean they are exactly the same fonts as those used in the PDF because they could be different versions with different glyphs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, lee.bkk said:

All other applications on my Mac read this PDF and others without any problems at all.

Was the PDF created on your Mac, or somewhere else?

In any case, it really doesn't matter that all other applications read that PDF; perhaps they don't open PDFs for editing, and don't need access to the fonts. Or perhaps they can use embedded fonts, which Affinity cannot.

Do you have any applications that can provide more information about the fonts in the PDF file? Or, can you share it so we can look at it in more detail?

-- Walt
PC:

I agree with @walt.farrell that the PDF-Creation may have been the root-cause for the issue.

justification:
I like to use the PDF-"Printer"-Software called "PDF Creator": https://www.pdfforge.org/
But as they updated to Version 4.x I noticed some issues.
One of them was Font-Handling: the fonts are still embedded, but their names are changed slightly: (see screenshot, the correct names are on the right side)
Going back to Version 3.5.1 solved the issue.

image.png.51fc16748e1c3abb9d676fc6494c2374.png

Thanks for your help and replies.

I am now getting this same error with many PDF documents, all from different sources but not made by me. I believe they all worked perfectly before, please see attached - there is even some issues with times new roman font, this is very strange. 

I tried replacing the Tahoma,Bold with Tahoma.Bond but still the text was all jumbled and incoherent. 

I have attached some of the files I am trying to edit. 

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 09.40.19.jpg

Reaction rates 1.pdf Worksheet_7.2.pdf Worksheet_10.pdf

I took a look at those 3 files:

3 different PDF-Creation-Engines:
image.png.14a1af39dd0c04191107c0f99ca97405.png

But only "worksheet 10" seems to have correct font-names (with dashes )
image.png.6c2bb53a12b61c89b7f64d15a73a7733.png

while the other 2 files use commas in the font-names,
and in Worksheet 7.2 the fonts are not marked as "embedded"...

image.png.5a3c8eafa7709a7872918edab5e8be41.pngimage.png.331d109dfcf4f5468e82c0212ea3dee6.png   

My best guess: "broken" PDFs. They can be displayed by PDF-Readers but for precise editing, the exactly matching fonts are needed.
But if font-names in the PDFs are broken, an automatic font-matching is impossible.

kind regards
Fritz

Thanks for your replies

I have just downloaded the free trial for Affinity Publisher and for Adobe acrobat. 

Adobe displays all the font perfectly as does Preview, Affinity Publisher displays the same garbled mess as Affinity designer.  Could this be some issue with Affinity software and specific fonts?