You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.2 Font Dialog closing when searching font name

Hi i'm experiencing a problem with 1.8.2 (Photo too) that was not present in the 1.8.1 retail version.

(I'm using a wacom tablet but it's happening with the mouse too)

If i search for a font on the context toolbar dialog when i move the mouse or the pen the dialog closes before i can choose it.

I can make a video if that would help you understand it better.

• Staff

Hi dcarvalho84,

This was actually preset in 1.8.1 and seems to occur when searching in the dialog, after applying a font for the second time. It is currently with development to be looked at. Thanks for letting us know!

6 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi dcarvalho84,

This was actually preset in 1.8.1 and seems to occur when searching in the dialog, after applying a font for the second time. It is currently with development to be looked at. Thanks for letting us know!

I haven't noticed that in 1.8.1 until now. If i search for a different font 2 or 3 times the app crash! even in 1.8.1.

Here is a crash report of that.

Edit: Crash Report attached

Affinity Designer_2020-03-02-120644_Mac-mini-de-Daniel.crash

21 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

I haven't noticed that in 1.8.1 until now. If i search for a different font 2 or 3 times the app crash! even in 1.8.1.

Here is a crash report of that.

Edit: Crash Report attached

Affinity Designer_2020-03-02-120644_Mac-mini-de-Daniel.crash 89.14 kB · 0 downloads

I'm also experiencing this crash.

From what I can tell, this only happens after hovering with the mouse over the font list and only then searching for a font (by entering a few characters).

This is also reproducible in the Release version of AD (1.8.1)

1 minute ago, leshido said:

I'm also experiencing this crash.

From what I can tell, this only happens after hovering with the mouse over the font list and only then searching for a font (by entering a few characters).

This is also reproducible in the Release version of AD (1.8.1)

Yes, but you can also use the character panel that seems to be working fine.

Just to add a quick note, unfortunately i think that should be another problem. I've had some crashes and the file doesn't restore after the crash, i've reduced now the interval to 30 secs, but i'm more than sure that i've worked in any file a lot more time than the interval defined... (Sorry but i can't use the beta version now since a lot of work i do use fonts, i'm using the retail because it is a lot more stable)

I don’t have much to add other than to say that I have been having this crashing issue a lot with the release version running on Mac OS Mojave. I haven’t been able to figure out if there is anything that I can do to ensure the crash or avoid it. However, I have had Designer crash on me at least ten times in the last day when searching for fonts.

Although not mentioned in @MattP's post regarding the new Beta (1.8.2.1), this issue seems to be fixed, albeit in a slightly weird way.

Before, when hovering with the mouse over the font list and then typing a name to search – the app would crash.

Now, when hovering with the mouse over the font list, the font name field loses focus and any keystroke goes to enter text in the selected Text Frame object.

In my opinion, this is not the ideal solution, but for what it's worth – it's better than crashing.

• Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Crash when trying to type into the Font Dropdown) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 3/14/2020 at 3:03 AM, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Crash when trying to type into the Font Dropdown) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

As far as I can tell, it works the same as it did in the previous Beta, meaning it does not crash (which is good!) but it's still awkward to use.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.