You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Many serious mistakes

epicteto

Hi everyone

Ipad Pro(12,9 inch)(2º Gen)
IpadOS 13.3.1
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155

I bought AP a few weeks ago and I am very disappointed. I find it impressive to be able to have a program with such great features on an Ipad, but I am finding many problems that make it impossible for me to use this program in a reliable and professional way. I hope you can help me. Sorry for my bad English.

The most serious correspond to unexpected AP crashes in diverse situations. I cannot say a specific situation, if at any time I can give more clues I will report it.

Sometimes the program falls asleep and does not recognize the Apple Pencil (I have stopped using it) or the pulsations of my own fingers. I have to hit several times (as if I was playing the piano !!) until it works again. It happens it very often. I have installed other drawing programs on the Ipad (Procreate, Pixelmator, Graphic ...) several internet browsers, etc ... and they all work perfectly, with or without Apple Pencil. I only have these errors with AP.

Another mistake is that sometimes, when using the color panel, when dragging the dropper to take a color sample, the circle of the tool is paralyzed and remains as a "ghost" image on the screen, and no longer disappears until Do not restart the program. I attached an example. It doesn't matter if I close the file and open another one, the "ghost" is still there. The same thing has happened to me once when dragging in the layer panel one layer over another to link them. The image of the dragged layer creates a ghost and stays there until AP reboots.

The last thing that has happened to me,  is that when I apply a filter to a layer an icon appears in the lower left of the screen of the active filter. Ok, fine. But if I apply the filter, or cancel it, and then I want to apply another one, there are times when the icon of the first filter remains and the option bar of the new active filter is not the one I want to use now. See the image attached. I have chosen the Gaussian blur filter and I have canceled it, but the icon is still there! In this case that I attached, I want to apply another filter such as detecting edges, and the filter is applied immediately, but without the lower options bar of this new filter appearing without the possibility of being able to edit it, and the Gaussian blur icon is still there, as if still active!. It is not a specific problem with these filters, it happens to anyone else. The adjustments (levels, curves, HSL, etc...) however, seem to work well.

Does something similar happen to someone? With all these problems I find it impossible to use the program. The summary is that the program is horribly unstable

All this is very strange because I do not see in this forum complaints like mine, and I am sure that my Ipad works perfectly because I have been using Procreate for many years handling large files with many layers and I never had a problem

Thank you

photo_2020-02-15_15-38-47.jpg

photo_2020-02-15_15-38-37.jpg

photo_2020-02-15_15-38-28.jpg

I own the 10.5 iPad Pro and never experienced the same problems you have experienced.  Bad download?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

1 hour ago, epicteto said:

I have thought the same. In fact, right now I am reinstalling

Did you do a hard reboot after deleting and prior to reinstalling?  I hope all is Ok.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

There seem to be many more issues for users with 2nd gen models. Perhaps those iPads manage/access physical memory differently?
Regardless, there are many reported bugs, can’t load LUTs, can’t load brushes, symbol crashing, unexplained app closures, dots on screen, can’t change units, etc etc and an update with bug  is way, way overdue.  I begin to wonder if IPad is still supported!! Come on Affinity..... an update please..... 🙁

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hey epicteto,

I can get a 'ghost' layer stuck on the screen by dragging a layer and switching to a different studio. This also applies to dragging the colour picker around. These are old bugs and I've bumped the bug reports. I think you might be catching another studio whilst your hand is over the right-side of the iPad :( 

I can't reproduce the filter issue you mentioned though.

I came here to report the same constant crashes you seemed to experience. It’s usually when renaming or manipulating a file, or just after opening it. Instant crash to desktop. iPad Pro 11” with relatively small files (1300x2000 less than 10 layers). 

Has your issue been resolved?

Hey

As I said  I uninstalled AP, updated IpadOS, and reinstalled AP.

Now I can use the Apple Pencil, which has saved me a lot of problems. Everything seems to be better.

I have to say that by circumstances now I don't have much time to use AP, but apparently with this I have done everything works much better. For example, I have not had the problem of "ghost images". I think that the problem I had with the use of filters was due to my inexperience with AP.

Now I don't use my fingers to use AP. It is true that my fingers look like a handful of Hamburg sausages ... but they are the same fingers I use to use the rest of the iPad software. 

Right now I can't say anything else, when I can use AP for a few hours I will report my experience.